MTZ Belarus Steering Gears

I recently made my own gears and “casing” for MTZ 892.2

I wanted gears hidden, this is how it looks mounted:

There’s only one little problem, it blocks the view of speed and motor rpm, I need to lean on to see it.
I will share my .stl files for everything, if anyone has an idea to improve view… I can model pretty much anything.

(Slightly smaller than famous universal gear, bigger has 60 flat teeth and smaller 12, 1:5 ratio)
v1: MTZ_Steering_parts
(casing files not included yet)

For this to assemble you will need 3 M8x40mm bolts and nuts, 6 M6x60mm and nuts(these can be longer and reversed so the nuts come on top, but its prettier when hidden)

• Spacers come between bigger gear and lower holder or casing
  • Other holes on the bigger gear can be used for zip ties
4 Likes

Lower rpm motor, lower gear ratio = smaller gears, less things to obstruct view.

I was talking about tractors rpm and traveling speed. No problem with steering motor and gears. :wink:

Yes, about tractor speed. If you choose lower rpm steering motor you can make gear ratio 2:1 and have significantly smaller gears then with 5:1 even with same modul. And then you dont need as big cover for it and can see rpm / speed gauge. :wink:

I understand but reducing the size of gear require more torque from motor to turn the wheel… so we need to find the “golden middle” :coin:

When I receive my motor I will test his maximum and try it out!

1 Like

Hire is one with 2:1 (40/20) gear ratio. I need to cut those bolts to length. Otherwise I also find smaller gears to be better. Motor cost roughly same no mater what rpm. Difference in gear ratio required is big, also cost of material. This is with 3Nm 200rpm 24v motor.

4 Likes

Good to know, thank you!

Do you have a stl file from you steer gear??

Yes, Gears.zip Gear module = 3, pressure angle = 20, width 20mm. Big gear 40 tooth PETG, small gear 20 tooth TPU, designed for 12mm motor shaft with TPU so its 11.5mm hole on gear.
20tooth

4 Likes