Ntrip nightmare

I have some hard times trying to get Ntrip to work on my 2X rtk3B from arduisimple. I previously had the xbee LR radio, but wasn’t get good result with it so I ordered a 4G ntrip module for the base (its a moving base) and a WIFI ntrip module for the rover (using my cell phone to send internet to this one)

Here is what I try:

1. Tried the rtk2go route, but as stated in an other topic, cannot get it to work, getting my base ip get banned as soon as the ntrip client try to connect to it. Tried the wifi module on another mountpoint (random one on rtk2go map) and it connect…

2. I then decided to try to host my own caster with snip… and after hours and hours of trying port forwarding and messing with that and never been able to open the ?&( port on my PC.

3)Leased a cheap vps (vultr) and tried some ntrip caster on github, First one was baidu/ntripcaster (seem like it’s BKG?) My base connect to it very easy without trouble (I see it) but never got able to connect the client (rover), the caster always kick it (without much explanation). After another try, the error is: Kicking unknown 1 (ip) (Transfer Sourcetable)

1. Found out tonight that emlid offer ntrip caster service and look like pretty simple and easy to set up but… this time client work, but my base never show up as online…

Please help me find an easy way to do it!

1 Like

The Emlid caster is free using Emlid hardware. This is the system I use, and it is quick and easy to set up. This is why an M2 costs slightly more than a breakout board. After setting up the antenna it only takes minutes to get NTRIP running.

Are you sure your port is forwarded correctly? You’re dead in the water if it isn’t:

https://www.whatismyip.com/port-scanner/

With the VPS on a linux console, yes and it’s pretty easy to open a port.

You might have to allow the port in your router’s firewall settings. You might have to enable the port in your ISP’s settings as well.

I do not know purpose for port forwarding ( opening ports)if you do not have public ip.
You use port forwarding in case you have public ip on your router , and forward to some port on some local ip adress witch is hidden behind NAT and is not visible in world.

That is case when you make server at your house and your rover getting corestions direct from your home.

Other people do not have public ip , and they got rtk2go.com where they upload their signal with mount name, and their rover connects to rtk2go.

You are correct, NAT works better if you have a static WAN IP.

Even with dynamic IPs, ISPs often release these for 24+ hours per session. All you have to do is receive an alert any time this changes, along with the new IP.

Or you can use a service like DynDNS.

But you still cant do forward, your isp must do that, public ip is at them.You do not have acess to their equipment.

They must do dstnat but they wont do that.
Buy your own public ip and do with ih what do you like

Your modem, onu or what you have also has dhcp lease, that ip changes and public changes allso becouse most of isp have load balancing thru 2 links with different ip.
you do not know when your packet shall go thru ome off them.It depends from traffic.

My advice, buy public ip, tell provider to put their equipment as a bridge , and take mikrotik router.

Sky is the limit with mikrotik.
You can do anything you like with it.

Sorry mate, you’re mistaken: NAT is used for LANs to address the issues of their only being 4.2Bn IPv4 addresses. It is employed so that multiple devices on a private network can share a single WAN address.

You can configure both NAT and port forwarding on your private firewall.

1 Like

Mate, i work at internet and tv provider , i know how it works.

I work with,optics,wifi links hfc internet etc.
You hide behind nat whole range of ip.
That range is not visible to outside world. Some port or ip to bee visible from outside , you must have visible public ip / then you do port forwarding (dst nat)

exemple

you have public ip 1.100.100.55
your server is on 192.168.0.1:5500

your server to be visible to world you do dst nat

so logic is , every thing that comes to your wan at port you decide dst nat to adress 192.168.0.1:5500

if you have local ip, you’r not visible to outside world what ever you doo.You can opet ports where ever you whant.Waisting time.
Or ask a provider to add datnat to your ip and make your ip static ( so dhcp wont change it over time) they make static with mac adress or serial depends of devices used.

Spent 12 years as a firewall / internetwork engineer for an ISP… :wink:

Here is a post on using TailScale. You could use it instead of port forwarding.

1 Like

So tell me how can i acces you private network other way?
The way i descibe it or tell me the other way.
You can use vpn , but allso you need public ip for that
I’m very curious.

I’m not sure that I understand your question.

The way traffic is routed to any device inside a LAN is via a combination of NAT / port forwarding which is handled by the local firewall.

See below for the relevant forwarding rules on my home firewall:

This requires no work on the part of the ISP, it’s all done locally.

The issue in my area is that most of the time the ISP owns the router and doesn’t let the consumer into the router. You have to buy your own router in order to configure the port forwarding rules.

I was wondering about this…

ISP managed routers are a massive pain, do you need to send in a change request for the addition of a new firewall rule?

I have my own router so I’m not sure if they would add a rule for you or not.

I know what i’m talking :wink:
Only way to do that is what i have descibed.

You can use that router orwarding , but wan on that router must be public ip.

To do that your isp modem must be in bridge mode so public ip can be on wan of router.
Then you can do port forearding.

Every day i work with litle bit more pro routers.
I even in my house have 500 eur mikrotik

1 Like

I had an update induced issue with the ASUS that shut down my base.

The more plumber fix was hook a switch at the ISP modem so the base and ASUS share its WAN. This gave the base a direct line out and prevented a double NAT situation for it. The ISP device wants to act as a router, unfortunately a rather poor locked down one.

Telecoms hardware choices :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: make me mad.

1 Like

Now I’m even more confused, Bridge Mode is used for mesh networks and should not be used if you only have one router.

WAN is always public; it is, by definition, your public (routable) IP. If it wasn’t public, then you would not be able to connect to the Internet.

Your WAN is your public address, LAN is private. WAN addresses are unique, LAN addresses are private and arbitrary.

As I say, I spent years as a Cisco engineer…

But I’m wondering why you are so confident about this and it’s possible that we are both kind of correct. What country are you in / what ISP do you use?