Ntrip uk

Just wanted to open a chat with the British users here if that’s ok?

I’m still fairly new to all of this and have got a rover working pretty well as a stand alone unit with neither base station, nor NTRIP.

The BS is something I will look into in due course, but I’m confused about NTRIP.

The concept is simple, coordinate correction over IP from a known fixed base. My problem is that I’m on the east coast of Yorkshire, England and the nearest publicly available stations are over 100 miles / 160KM from me.

With a fibre connection this would not be an issue, but over a 4G (presently, 5G is just on the horizon here) does anyone know whether:

A) There are any NTRIP nodes on the east coast of England? I’ve tried OS and came away even more confused.
B) What network throughput makes NTRIP viable? If the WAN connection is flakey, is it even worth using NTRIP,

Actually, a more basic question:

C. Is it worth using NTRIP if you have a local base station, does NTRIP offer any benefit?

To answer question C: Even with a local base station, you could use ntrip to transport your correction data from the base to your rover. A lot of people with their own local base station use a 900 MHz or similar radio but both are just a means of transporting the correction data. It’s more of a question of whether your base station location has a reliable internet connection and whether your mobile data is also reliable enough. Distance from the base to your furthest field is also a factor, using mobile/cellular ntrip can usually go further.

1 Like

http://monitor.use-snip.com/?hostUrl=rtk2go.com&port=2101

Click view all and see what’s near.

Setting up your own base I see really easy if not.

Joeseels ans er polybell are probably your nearest. Possibly too far away TBF although we have tested bases over 150Km away and run most of the day on them.

Network throughput is low for Ntrip.

A base will cost you a receiver and an esp32.

Ntrip is nothing special, only a transport system. Your base station produces corrections, NTRIP or radio is how you actually get the corrections to your rover

Ntrip only uses a few kbit per second, so even on a poor cellular connection it should be fine, and almost certainly better range than unlicensed radios.

Distance from the base station won’t matter in terms of actually getting the signal, it’s all transported over the internet. Of course the further away your base station is, the worse your correction quality will be due to differences in the atmosphere causing timing differences in the GPS signal.

I only use NTRIP because I’m spread out over a fairly large radius with lots of trees and hills. Why spend money on radio infrastructure when the phone network already exists and is very reasonably priced? (I spend maybe £10 a year on sim card topups, and that’s mostly due to Windows deciding to chew through my data, not the NTRIP itself.)

2 Likes

The correction information only needs a relativerly low rate of data transfer, less than 1 kB/s. You should be able to run a base station on a dial up modem, if you had to.

1 Like

Use mine and see if it works out (JoeSeelsGPS), im in-between Doncaster and Barnsley. Setting up your own base station is relatively easy though. Ardusimple board with ntrip wifi master is super easy. Then just use hotspot on your phone in the tractor.

2 Likes

Just been looking at your base station on rtk2go satus, you are getting Beid signals were mine is not JoeSeelsGPS. What have i done wrong? I uploaded base config from ardusimple if i remember correctly.

I have the rtk2b board and antenna so do I just need another board and antenna for my base station?

Yes, and a PC / laptop / raspberry pi to run the software.

And a wifi system to connect the base station to the rover (either radio, cellular or Wi-fi)

Thanks for your reply. If I get a WiFi master to plug into the base station board will this connect it straight to the WiFi without a computer?

Yes, that’s exactly what it does. It has a web interface where you can connect it to a WLAN and it also acts as a Wi-fi hotspot once connected.

Oh, correction.

Go with Alan’s suggestion and just use an ESP32. Easier and cheaper.