Opengrade mod for full automatic blade control success

Hi all. I’ve been working on a code mod to Opengrade to let an arduino automatically control a hydraulic valve connected to the blade on a scraper. Before I put all the gear in the tractor and test today I made a quick video describing my setup. Thought some of you might be interested in this work. I’m using a 12v 30GPM valve from Trausch Dynamics. Everything you see on the video of the valve was about US$330. I setup this valve for fingertip switch control instead of cable lever control for a loader mounted firewood processor. I added another switch to the box for automatic control. Pressing that lets the arduino relay control the valve. I didn’t use the fancy bit writing method of talking to the arduino. Simple text commands are all it uses. It’s a pretty quick and dirty hack to some pretty nice code but it makes the lights blink and seems to get the job done. Here’s the youtube link.

8 Likes

It will be interesting to see how this works on the machine. Do you have it setup to move slower / faster based on distance from cut line? Do you have a github account that i can access it on.
Thanks

I had it on the scraper today and it worked well. It could really use a dead zone around the target cut spot as it overshoots and would make a wavy cut. I slowed down the hydraulic flow and it smoothed it out considerably. I’d like to get the okay from Brian before I release the modded .exe and arduino sketch. Stay tuned.

5 Likes

any progress? interested in adding this too my scraper

Hi
I also built a valve control for Opengrade.
https://discourse.agopengps.com/t/grade-control/1702/19?u=pat
The arduino code is still very basic but works.

Do you have any documentation about how you did this?
I am also trying to learn how to set up control of a scraper blade for land leveling.
Thanks

1 Like

Great video likes like a 4/3 DCV, good price

1 Like

Check out the grade control thread, there’s ready made code using both the AOG pcb and proportional valve and for CAN based control directly on the tractor valves.

2 Likes