Overlaying AgOpen Boundaries and Coverage Map onto Google Satellite Image

Is there a way that I can take a field file that contains boundaries and coverage pass info and export that so it can be overlayed onto Google Satellite imagery?

This would work if you converted the file into a shapefile, but that is tricky at the moment. The boundaries since they are .kml files can be overlayed in GE. I think someone found a method a while back on the combine forum for getting the coverage map into GE. If I find it I’ll post it here.

1 Like

This topic may have been superseded in later versions, but as I am still working with an old version (2.8) of AgOpenGPS on my drilling tractor (so I don’t have to amend all my arduino code/wiring and because I like the layout of the top field view), I was looking for a way to convert the Contours.txt to something I can import to QGIS. I normally save a log file from my rover and import that, but for some reason forgot in the joy of drilling this soggy back-end and needed to get the info from AgOpenGPS.

To square the circle and pull info from The Combine Forum to here, here are a couple of links:

How the files are laid out

Brian’s ponderings on how to convert back to Lat/Long

A method of converting back

Coordinates in the Contours.txt file are in the UTM format, with each line being Easting, Northing and Heading. However, the Easting and Northing coordinates are all relative to the start point of the field. The start point of the field is stored as the offset in Field.txt, with the line being Easting, Northing, UTM Zone.

Theoretically, this should mean that you can get back to full UTM coordinates for the relevant zone by taking each set of point coordinates and adding on the coordinates of the offset point. In QGIS you can then load in a delimited text layer, using the relevant UTM Zone projection (using north or south as relevant).

Sadly, this is not giving me a perfect import due to some inconsistencies with the projections, but it is a trade off between precision and simplicity and is close enough for me - I take the imported data, rotate it and retranslate it to fit over my field and hey-presto, have the covered area for my maps.

There may be a better, more accurate way, but thought I’d just share for completeness!

Yes, very possible, very accurate, Brian has all of this automatic in the latest version. If you are wanting to keep the old version, look at his kml writer in the save field. Works very well.

Thanks for the tip - I was running v4 on my sprayer and I’ve checked out saving as kml - works really well!

Might have to try and reinstate the old top field view or fiddle with the form though as the floaty window insists on opening in the middle of the screen (I run an 8 inch tablet) and blocking the view. I much prefer it docked in the top left corner…

But that is a minor issue - fantastic work from everyone and especially Brian!

This will force the topview box in the far left corner and make it smaller. Search for oglZoom in all files and folders. These changes are where they are on mine. It will cover the flyout for the pan and rotate. But it remains dragable.

GUI.Designer.cs
About line 400

oglZoom.Width = 200;
oglZoom.Height = 200;
oglZoom.Visible = true;
oglZoom.Left = 74;
oglZoom.Top =53;

FormGPS.cs
About line 1400

oglZoom.Width = 200;
 oglZoom.Height = 200;

ControlsDesigner.cs
About line 1550

oglZoom.Width = 200;
 oglZoom.Height = 200;

then just below that in the else

oglZoom.Width = 200;
                oglZoom.Height = 200;
                oglZoom.Left = 75;
                oglZoom.Top = 53;

Thanks - that has saved me a whole load of time trying to find out the relevant bits that need changing.

Whilst updating, I also noted that CalculateMinMax(); is missing from the oglZoom_Paint sub routine (doesn’t seem to have been copied down from the commented out section). This explains why it was not resizing the window until I closed and reopened the field. Now I’ve amended this I will definitely start using the latest version. :grin:

1 Like