Phidgets motor whining (PWM Frequency?)

What voltage are you using?

Also sounds like the motor is just stalled. It should shut off if not needing a correction. See how your output pwm is 15 and your minimum set point is 10pwm. 10 pwm is not enough to turn the motor properly unconnected.

What PWM is needed to actually start turning the wheel while driving? Try 25+ for min

3 Likes

Have you done the Cytron freewheel modification, the high pitch whine sounds like it’s happening when the motor isn’t even turning?

I"m running 24 v. I’ll try to set the minimum higher since it’s whining even if the motor isn’t turning. I just found that even at low minimum the motor can turn the steering wheel.

Yes I’ve done the modification, but as I recall the whining was there before as well.

Our tractors are loud enough you can’t hear whine lol. I think the min might turn wheel while moving. Much harder to turn while stopped. It could be in the mounting of motor. Maybe take motor off and see how loud it is while stalled. Seems like mounting is transferring the vibration to be louder. I think mine is quieter than our ontrac system. I am using foam rub wheel. I think it would be quieter than gears, but haven’t tried yet.

Transformers use rubber under core to reduce noise from vibration transfer.

1 Like