Radio Base Station Issues

This is driving me bonkers, wonder if anyone can help?

I’m testing out RTK over radio using the RTK2B and two LR radio modules, have dumped the relevant configs and refined the necessary settings. Had it all working.

Right now I am running further tests with 2m positioning and 2 mins observation time and am suddenly getting TIME rather than FIXED. This may go away with time, but I’m not sure why it suddenly won’t get fixed.

The second thing is more of a query than an issue.

As I read it, the RTK2B plus LR radio weighs in at around 150mA power consumption. I would like to be able to run this for a few days off a 5V power pack, but…

On their own, there is no GUI for this (though it is possible to connect to u-centre remotely). If I set the device to survey-in for x period seeking y precision, does it always perform this check on boot and then move to FIXED once the appropriate conditions are satisfied, or does it not retain these settings?

How can this be checked?

Am I correct in thinking that a mobile base like this is best powered from the XBEE+POWER USB connector and the POWER+GPS used for configuration?

Time means fixed.
On the base f9p, if it has the Tony configurations it will begin survey at power up each time, then after the survey is met it will brodcast rtcm3 messages. If you turn it off then on it will begin to suvey in again. If you want it to keep the survey coordinates, you have to change time mode 3 to fixed then enter the lat and lon manually, then save. Now it will start sending as soon as it stars up,and has locked on to the constellations.
I power mine through the 5v in pin of the f9p and ground. I use a battery pack and a 3amp 5v regulator. Lasts for days.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, I have now learned what each status means.

Does anyone have a simple tutorial for how to set up the ardusimple XBEE modules on an RTK2B board? I have bought two LR radio boards, plugged them into the RTK2B, applied the 1Hz base and rover configs from ardusimple and I cannot get corrections. The base seems to be working fine (GPS>XBEE LED activity), but the rover does not seem to get the corrections (XBEE>GPS LED is off).

Have spent a couple of days trying to get support from AS, have answered many of their questions, sent config files, but am not getting anywhere really.

Just wondered if there is a step that I am missing here, something obvious.

The xbee should have been pre-configured well enough to use without changing any settings. Are the 2 radios communicating?
I am assuming you have surveyed in and the base is sending corrections?
If its the all in one micro board, there is a jumper to send to the teensy or to the f9p. Set the jumper to rx3. Make sure the ino that you loaded on the teensy has rtk baud set to 115200. Its in the first page, scroll down and you will see the 3 baud rates listed in a row. The bottom one is rtk baud. The ino is set to 9600 default i think. Change that to 115200 and reload.

Right, I changed settings, long story :slight_smile:

Any idea how to reset them to defaults?

Answer: You can’t, you have to send them back to AS (who have been pretty good, TBF).

Got some more and I am genuinely surprised at just how plug and play these things are, they are literally plug and play. Assumed it would be more complicated!

You can easily change settings using Digi’s XCTU software. I have saved the defaults on the office computer.

That is exactly how I killed them!

Are you conversant with this?

Sorry, just to elaborate, I had some issues with the radios and it all got a bit messy, so I flashed them with the XCTU config and one never worked again after this. Had a long talk with AS, sent them the config file and they asked me to immediately return the devices and any F9P that they had been flashed from as “this may have caused faults on the pins”.

However, the issue may actually be a faulty UART pin on the F9P, I stumbled across a weird issue earlier with PP which may indicate this as a fault. Will check tomorrow.

You connected via the simplertk2b Xbee port? I had a Xbee USB adapter that I used and unless you change & forget what the serial baud settings are, I don’t think you can bork them too easily. I messed around with quite a few settings trying to optimize the range until I discovered I made a mismatched RF connector on the base, after correcting that I had good range.