Roll corrected RTK position from AOG to other Devices with serial RS232

As a temporary workaround in the meantime, can you setup the machine so that the 2 outside rows are treated as a single section? That’s what I read people on AgTalk with the same complaint do.

1 Like

My scenario is much like @customfordfan . hills and terraces.The best that can be done is have an accurate position of the tractor on the ground, That is all the 20/20 needs. All of the trailing calculations are done in the 20/20.

Can the 20/20 correct for the implement trailing on a side hill? I know the rowflow has an accelerometer but mainly for turn compensation.

1 Like

I dont know. I would assume not. The trailing error would be a lot less than roll error for tractor roof mounted receiver. At least thats my thought. The Gen 3 does ask for receiver height in setup.

I’m sure the planter has some error on the hillsides, but we’ve ran a 20/20 with individual row shutoffs on a 15" spacing for the last 12 years with no issues as long as we have roll corrected nmea.

1 Like

When AOG gets passive implement guidance, I’ll just connect the implement receiver to our 20/20! :grinning:

2 Likes

The pass-to-pass error shouldn’t be too bad as long as the slope doesn’t change too drastically but planting on either side of a valley should cause some overlap without planter correction.

1 Like

the problem is getting roll corrected nmea without a seperate receiver??

@customfordfan, is AOG getting GPS over a usb serial adapter, or over UDP? I assume you’re using PANDA?

As long as the 20/20 can deal with NMEA at the same rate that AOG is getting PANDA messages, it is not so complicated to output corrected GPS as NMEA sentences (say gga and vtg) over another USB serial port. I know this has been talked about in the past and I know someone modified AOG to do this, but I don’t know what Brian’s thoughts were on this. This seems like something that wouldn’t be too had to add to AOG and would be quite useful.

1 Like

are you familier with the “GPS_Out.exe” in the latest version of AOG? @m_elias referenced it in another thread but I havn’t tried it yet. He didn’t think it was roll corrected. Also you have to start it seperately from AOG??

I’m running a v2.4 all in one board. I know the 20/20 can handle nmea at 115.2k baud rate and 10Hz. Also, I believe it requires gga, rmc, and vtg.

I think this is something that would definitely be useful. I’ve noticed more people are asking about it here and on the telegram group.

1 Like

Brian told me about this just yesterday. Yes it does have to be launched separately from AOG. It does not output corrected GPS position at this time.

I personally feel that corrected output would be useful for a variety of situations. I’m sure GPS_Out could be made to do roll compensation using the same code from AOG. I think Brian is skeptical of whether corrected output is that useful for getting extremely accurate toolbar positioning especially if the implement is a trailer. But I assume in @customfordfan’s situation the planter is fixed to the tractor?

On the other thread talking about this someone mentioned the 20/20 monitor lets you set the GPS offsets. Does it also do its own roll control?

Makes me wonder about my Pro 700 setup. I know the trimble GPS receivers do not do terrain compensation in the GPS receiver. The IMU is inside the NAV II controller. I’m not sure if the Pro 700’s task controller works with roll-corrected GPS fixes (via the NAV II) or not.

2 Likes

In my situation I’m just trying to get somewhat accurate implement positioning. We are running a pull type planter, so there is definitely some error from implement draft that can only be fixed with some type of implement guidance, but why not at least get rid of the error we can. I’m pretty certain the 20/20 does not correct for roll. I know in the case of a green star receiver, the 20/20 is tied into the harness directly at the receiver, and the nmea it receives is corrected to ground level.

1 Like

There is something in the works to get corrected position (ground level tractor pivot position) into the GPS_out app.

5 Likes

Its in terraced ground where it could really cause some issues. I know without roll comp my steering was extremely eratic.

That sounds like a good plan

It would be nice to have the capability for gps-out to auto launch when AOG is opened. Maybe it already does this…

1 Like

Honestly if it were me I’d put an F9P and antenna right on the planter, and have its serial TX line into an RS232 converter and run that back up to the 20/20 monitor. Of course you have to get RTCM into the F9P on the planter somehow.

1 Like

Put it in the windows startup folder, along with aog and they will both auto launch when windows starts.

3 Likes

Yeah thought of that, but there is still the roll issue.