RTK2go IP Bans

AGIO has been rebuilt for the UDP only system. This new form shows which NTRIP messages you are receiving and the station ID it is coming from. There are count up and count down features built into the main AOG that shows if you are or are not receiving the NTRIP data.

What we need to build is a new “local user” NTRIP server.
This is how I see it:
This is running on your home or base server. It is broadcast only to the locals that you have given permission to access. In reality it is only good for 10 km or less anyway. Why do you want to broadcast it to someone who should not be using it anyway. It is not that you don’t want them using it, it is simply not accurate for them to use it.
Saying that, I do not know how to build it. I will think some more on it.

Wouldn’t the esp32 based NTRIP castor fit this need or the rPi one?

I have been using the free snip version for windows but I end up having to connect to that virtual machine to get snip running each time it reboots and it’s very limited. Okay if you already have a Windows computer running 24/7 but something like an esp32 or rPi should be better (except for the rPi’s mSD corruption issues from power failures).

A very good question.

I suppose my thinking was to help local farmers, but none of the local farmers I know would have a clue that RTK2go exists. So really the only people who who would see my base are rtk2go users who are most likely not within 10KM of my house.

Interesting.

I’m using a Pi flashed with RTKBase. Takes around 2 mins to set up.

2 Likes

Well I set up a rtk2go base the other evening as I was trying to figure out how this whole ntrip thing works. Got it going with the antenna out the window and shut it off for the night. Next evening I want to work with it again, and I’m banned. I’ve been freed from jail now, but I’d rather not repeat the process. I haven’t read through this complete thread yet, but any ideas?

I’ve never seen a ban from shutting down a base station before. Did you forget to shut down any rover clients you had going? Repeatedly trying to connect to a mount point that is no longer available likely will get the IP blocked for a while.

What exactly do you mean “shutting down rover clients”? I did take the tablet out of the combine, and stuck it on the charger in the shop, and also left AOG running, and it will have been connected to wifi the whole time.

I forgot to take a screenshot of the message it gave me, but it had something to do with 500 failed reconnect attempts.

Rtk2go doesn’t like too many reconnect attempts. Close AOG or switch to other nearby base if your is offline.

1 Like

Yes that would do it. Be sure to close AOG or make sure it’s not trying to connect to the NTRIP caster. Repeated connections to RTK2Go looking for a base station that is not currently present will trigger the block.

Close AGIO. It doesn’t automatically close and it will keep pinging. The default simulator cords is 0,0. I had the state DOT office call me and fuss because I was requesting a correction for a place off the coast of Africa. It was causing errors in their system.

1 Like

This is why I gave up on RTK2go, I just got sick of getting banned and having to plead for them to remove my IP from their blacklist.

What is most absurd is that most of the bans were because the station my client was connected to was turned off, something over which the end user has no control.

I’m keeping my base private now, it’s just easier.

1 Like

Sorce table is in text and we have mount written in NTRIP settings, what about just trying to find mount in sorce table if non existent give error that mount is non existent, and not allow reconnect to non existent mountpt.

1 Like

Well I was trying to set up an NTRIP connection on my RTK3B boards, client board with wifi module and server board with 4G and got also banned from RTK2GO.

Still waiting for an email to know what was the reason.

Maybe have a look here to get a clue sooner :slight_smile:
http://rtk2go.com/how-to-get-your-ip-banned/

They just ban you at the drop of a hat, it’s pretty crazy. It’s like they don’t actually want more base stations registered.

I was wondering also about something like that. I don’t know how the whole Ntrip thing works, but if AOG know how many times it’s tried to connect to a base, than you could set a limit of 25 retries, before a prompt would pop up and then you would have the option of trying another 25 times or just quit. Would have saved me in my particular case. Or maybe a time limit

AgIO should probably rate-limit the connections to the NTRIP caster. And probably have some backoff timeouts as well so that it waits a little longer between each subsequent reconnect attempt. But I also like @Radmuffins suggestion. Before connecting to a mount point, AgIO should grab the source table and make sure the station is there before trying to connect to it. A feature request for a future version.

3 Likes

This is a good idea, but… if the base station is switched off while a client is connected, then that client has (from what I have seen) about 15 mins to disconnect before it gets banned.

Really we would need constant polling with a notification, then shutdown sequence in the event that the polls fail. A notification so the operator is made aware that NTRIP RTK has failed and then a shutdown so as to prevent getting banned.

I can’t help but wonder if it would be worth speaking to all the local farmers and landowners in the area and just creating a reciprocal regional RTK network.

1 Like

"Before connecting to a mount point, AgIO should grab the source table and make sure the station is there before trying to connect to it. A feature request for a future ".

This point is not a good idea, if you have private as so called hidden base station.
At that point your mount point will not be on the source table.

If someone want private base they can go full private and connect direct to base/home network why use rtk2go then, this check can apply to rtk2go only, if you type other ip you can have private base.

Rtk2go is free and allow anyone to access other bases there are some limitations and quick to ban, but they are currently best option for easy base deployment.

1 Like