RTK2go IP Bans

“Currently” :slight_smile:

I think anyone who stands up their own service that is similar to rtk2go will find they have to contend with the same issues that rtk2go’s banning system is meant to deal with. It may suck that IPs are so quick to be banned, but endless connection attempts are a type of denial of service attack, if inadvertent. They suck up the bandwidth and CPU power, which has a real cost.

If you run your own personal ntrip service then of course these issues are of little consequence since at most you and a few friends would be using it.

2 Likes

To be honest, I do understand why they apply the bans, but it could be done with more elegance.

10 NTRIP clients sending RTK requests really aren’t going to generate much load, certainly less than the script kiddies who are constantly port scanning everyone. It would take hundreds of concurrent clients to have much of an impact on the average home broadband service.

Even then, a half decent firewall could be configured to blacklist an address for (say) 10 minutes after 50 unsuccessful connection attempts. This would be more than sufficient.

Right now it looks like RTK2go automatically block IPs, then wait for a manual email, open and read this, then manually unblock that IP which looks to me like a colossal waste of their own time.

The only times I’ve been blocked, the ban was removed automatically after a period of time with no request or communication from me to their admins, and no manual work on their part that I could tell. But that period of time was quite long, on the order of a day or two if I recall.

1 Like

http://www.rtk2go.com:2101/SNIP::STATUS

At bottom of page you have banned ip list and time when ban will be lifted. Only reason for email is if you got long time or permanently banned.

500 reconnect attempts are plenty, when you are in field you lose RTK sooner then ban. Main problem is leaving client open and forgetting about it so good practice is to close ntrip client (AgIO) when you go away from tablet.

If you get banned more than a few times in a defined period, then you have to email request the ban is lifted. I’d actually forgotten that there is an automated unblock for first time offenders.

@Radmuffins. This was exactly how I got long term banned, I was testing in my office from a laptop and just forgot to shut down the client before I went out for the weekend. Came back, long term banned. That may have happened more than once as I have a Wifi NTRIP master on another RTK2b board so, as soon as that board is powered up, it automatically activates an NTRIP client service. If the relevant base station is not switched on, then the bans begin flowing again.

Also, don’t you get banned if your own base station powers down for any period?

Finally, I would have thought it was in the interest of RTK2b to add as many nodes as they can to their network, but when I spoke to them about getting a dozen local farms involved, they told me that I should look for a subscription service for a local mesh.

I’m not criticising RTK2go at all; they offer a free service which is obviously a drain on their personal time so complaining would be churlish.

No, you can turn off base for how long you like.

Rtk2go is for free but if you want more bases and features they like to sell you SNIP.

Running network cost resources without monetization of it you have no incentive to run that network, and if it grows you end up with same problem with too many reconnects and need to deal with them with ban. Or you end up like gov charging $$$ for access to network, full circle, what we wanted to avoid is paying for RTK.

2 Likes

I just came to this thread, a bit late, but thought a few clarifications might help.

In general the replies by Radmuffins and esprtk are spot-on regarding how we operate RTK2go and how our SNIP NTRIP Casters work. Or firms goal with RTK2go is the provide a free RTK transport service to as many people as possible without harming the commercial interests of our SNIP Caster customers. My thanks for posting those details. My thanks also to WildBuckwheat for posting the note that emails for user account names are now required to connect to the RTK2go Caster.

• Please; If you are having a problems with clients or bases on RTK2go, just drop us an email support@use-snip.com and we will support and get back to you.

• RTK2go only bans/blocks connections due to severe abuse. These blocks typically last only 3 hours and is then are reset/removed, but longer periods are used for worse offenses. That machine is the busiest Caster in the world, and it is regrettable to note that MOST of its traffic is from repeating bad connections. And most of that is from NTRIP software that frankly could be better developed.

• We do no care (or limit) how long you leave your Base up or if you only run it when you need it. We do not care (or limit) how many clients you connect to it. But we do care if you are connecting in such a way it causes any service degradation to others.

And as a final plug, if you only need to send three base stations or less to your local user community, consider using the (free) Lite model of SNIP on a machine of your own.

1 Like

Now that makes more sense of things.

I thought you offered a completely free service, didn’t realise it had a commercial side. Everything needs paying for, I get that and I am not passing any judgement, but I did wonder why you seemed reticent to accept as many connections as you could get.

As for most of your traffic being bad connections, that also makes unfortunate sense.

The Lite version sounds great. Will have a look at it and post some notes on here.

Does rtk2go works?
I can’t connect to caster or if I connect the age is getting high and loses connection.
Or if I try to search for base station from the source table the agIO is not responding.

Currently not, there are many outages lately.

2 Likes

Thanks,
Any idea where I can briadcast my base station, fast?

Directly connect to it, you need to port forward. (Only works if you are not behind CGNAT). Use VPN or use other casters.

Emlid or centipede

1 Like

Strugling with emlid. Did the ntrip caster on my base for my emlid account but can’t see the base in the source table.

Edit: RTKfix THANKS GUYS!

Is there a guide on identifying the cause of IP bans?

My mount and phone in the tractor both seems to have gotten banned this evening while in use, having been up for several months without issue.What would cause an issue to suddenly arise?

You should have had an email saying why🤷‍♂️

And you can email the admins to ask also. In my experience they are quite responsive.

I wasn’t aware they do that, but it is the first time it’s happened to me since having to put an email in the username.