RTKBase: a GUI for your own Gnss Base Station

Again, probably the wrong com port specified in RTKBase Main Service.

I have noticed that mine can change from ttyACM0 to ttyACM1 after a reboot. Not yet sure how to hardcode this but if it happens again, then SSH to the Pi and run “ls /dev”and check the port entry for the RTK board. Compare this with what is listed in the Main Service.

2 Likes

You can get a stable serial port filename by looking at the /dev/serial/by-id and seeing what entry corresponds with the f9p. I recommend using these dev nodes over the normal /dev/tty* nodes.

Is this the meaning of the “PPP” abbreviation mentioned in this topic?

“Positioning information using PPP (Precise Posint Positioning) method can be obtained with a single
GNSS (Global Navigationing Satellite Systems) receiver in both static and kinematic mode at a level very
similar to the Relative Positioning method. This method has been used as an alternative to the relative
method in recent years since it provides both cost and ease of application and also provides the
expected accuracy and sensitivity for location information. In this study, on Livingston Island, which is
located in the Antarctic Peninsula, has been made a series of GNSS measurements on two different
days with a Zodiac boat. GNSS data were evaluated separately by the relative method, PPP-AR
(Ambiguity Resolution) and Traditional PPP methods. Kinematic positioning performance of PPP-AR and
Traditional PPP method were compared with the relative method. The results clearly demonstrate the
superiority of the PPP-AR method”

Yes.

I have not had the time to study this yet, so would appreciate any clarification, but…

Having watched my base for a week or two, the position of the antenna seems to drift; the absolute position is not accurate. This is with a good 40+dB signal from more than 30 satellites. It still drifts.

Absolute (accurate) positioning is not required for high precision, this is what PPP is all about.

I think :slight_smile:

Edit: after a bit of reading, I think the above is incorrect. Does PPP eliminate the requirement for a base station?

1 Like

Serial port did work. I could read data from 5015 port.

I did save the non-working installation. Only difference between working and non-working settings.conf file is that the working one has rtcm_serial_receiver_options='-TADJ=1 while the non-working one option is empty.
It also might have been some other messed up thing.

Ah fair enough. It only takes one wrong value to mess everything up!

@whiterose

Have you seen this post?

1 Like

This option alone was not the reason you had some problems but it looks like the F9P was not detected during the non-working setup installation, as this option is automatically added when a F9P is detected during the first initialization (if you use the flashable image) or during ./install.sh --all.

Big warning with PPP:

You can get an accurate position with PPP, and without any base station, but you have to wait for a very long time on a static position. And the coordinates will be in WGS84 Coordinate reference system, not in your plate fixed CRS.

2 Likes

Good piece of information, saved me going down a rabbit hole. Thanks.

anyone using this with raspberry pi’s VNC? How to install VNC on Raspberry pi | Remote Access - YouTube
could be nice to access remotely, because after power failure need to login again so remotely it could be easier…

Why do you need to connect to your Pi after a power failure? RTKBase start automaticaly.

i thought i must login to make station working again with user: basegnss pass:basegnss!

No, you don’t have to.

I’ve configured VNC access to the Pi that runs Stefal’s base. So far only done updates for other Raspberry SW remotely.

SSH is easier and more reliable.

Does RTKBase even have a GUI?

Hi
I have installed RTKbase with the instructions in the readme, trough the terminal.

It all works but at each restart the main service is off, I have to start it manually trough the web interface. Did I something wrong? Should I reinstall it?
At each restart my mountpt appear in rtk2go but without messages until I start it.

Edit: I have tested the flashable version and worked good. I try this version to be able to install the the noip ip cheeker to keep my dnss up to date.

One thing I made: I enabled “hi precision mode” on my ardusimple after the installation, did that mess something up?

High precision mode is a must with RTK auto-steer. I though SimpleRTK2B boards were autoconfigured to this by the application?
EDIT: as explained below, no need for high accuracy NMEA on the base.

I use my internet modem/router for dnss updates. No need to install additional applications and have one specific computer up and running all the time at home although the GNSS base is a good one as it is supposed to be running all the time.

Why are you using rtk2go if you have a public IP address at home? Stefal’s base supports a caster too.

I would have liked to investigate a little more, but it seems too late since you reinstalled with the flashable image.

Unless I’m mistaken, high precision mode is for nmea output which is unused on a base station. You have to enable this on the rover, not the base station.

1 Like

No, It’s still running, I used the flashable version before and it’s on an other SDcard.

I can wait a few days if you want look at it, otherwise I will just reinstall. I install it on a OS with GUI to be able to install other programs. My command lines skills are limited, I have no idea how I could install other programs on the flashable version.

I think you are right high precision seem to be just for the NMEA so not needed for the base.