Running on a Raspberry Pi with Windows 11 arm64

Hi there!

New user here who hasn’t actually started using the software yet.

I just tried running AgOpenGps on a Windows 11 arm64 build, and it seems to work fine. Since this works I would think that running this on a Raspberry Pi and connecting it to an external touch screen i.e. 13.3" IPS Capacitive Touch HDMI LCD with Case (1920x1080)– The Pi Hut (just provided as an example. Have not checked whether it would be a good fit) would work as well?

What do you think about this solution? My main worries would be overheating of the RPi and perhaps also the screen, and wether the dust and shaking would be too much as well. As I haven’t tried out this system myself there are probably lots of other possible issues as well… :slight_smile: hehe

But too me this seems like it could be a quite flexible and cheap way to get started. Buy a RPi 4 with 4Gb Ram for instance and a monitor that is suited. And if one of the components does not last too long it is quite easy to swap it out, or doing a upgrade as well.

Any thoughts?

Love it! The only way to answer these questions is be brave and try it out. I agree the Pi might get pretty warm but there are heatsinks etc you can attach and perhaps a small circulating fan.

If the Pi could also do the autosteer and the job of the external parts - it would be a winner.

Yes, would be cool to try and see. Do you have any thoughts when it comes to heatsink vs fan? I would think a fan would be better in general, but considering the environment with lots of dust I am not sure if it would do more harm than good?

Yes, that would be very nice indeed.

Took a quick check of cases
Would a case like this with the GPIO port on the side be beneficial in that case, or would it not really matter, or even be harder to use as one typically only connects to one and one pin?

Could a peltier do the job? Just an idea.

Hello,
since I’ve been involved with AgOpenGps, I’ve been asking myself the same question about Raspberry Pi and AgOpenGps. Unfortunately, I haven’t had the chance to test it myself yet. If anyone has already tested it, I would be happy to hear about any experiences. My research so far has been rather discouraging, as drivers can be a big problem, especially for touch displays (but this was in relation to Windows 10 on the PI).

scholl

I asked this question for lattepanda in telegram, do lattepanda and raspberry pi work with the same OS?

I used to think some kind of ARM board and touch screen would be a great thing for AOG, and to a certain extent I still do. However a tablet has an advantage that you never have to worry about power management. Tablet is just on (and charging) all the time while you’re using it, it goes to sleep when you’re not using it. If need be you can manually shut it down. And of course take it with you easily from machine to machine.

With a computer board like the LattePanda or Raspberry Pi, you have to figure out how you want to power the thing, and how to shut it down. Commercial monitor units, for example, have full-time power, and then the keyed power acts as a signal to start it up and power it down. Even worse the Raspberry Pi has no power management features at all to my knowledge, so you can’t even suspend it to a low-power state. In fact with the Pi you can’t even power the board off from the OS (something you can do on a regular PC). I’m sure some kind of circuit could control the power to the Pi, and once the Pi signals that it’s finished the shutdown sequence, kill the power. Although I have no idea if that’s possible to do on Windows. The Pi is a neat little board, but there are better boards out there for this sort of thing, just on the power issue alone.

It’s good to know Windows 10 ARM can run AOG. I always thought Windows on ARM was limited to running software from the Microsoft Store, not unlike Windows S that’s on their x86 tablets.

1 Like

Hello,
i´m asking the same questions to me. Combineing a SBC with touchscreen. But i m scary about the many steps to go and all the part to buy first.
So my next step is to tryout a used Faytech Touch Panel PC. Something like this. 10″ Resistive Touch PC (N3350) - FT10N3350RES (faytech.us)
pros:
12V power input, no step-up modul needed
2 Ethernet conectors build in, no router is need to connect panda GPS and steering arduino via udp
heay solid case
possible to put in a 5g (4g) modul

cons:
resolution 1024x… for the older once.

I will bring you my experience.

1 Like