simpleRTK2B - Starter Kit LR

I had mine in a waterproof enclosure outside for a couple of years and seemed okay in Alberta heat. At the moment I have it inside my shop.

I have a XLR SIMPLERTK2B and have some areas that the corrections come and go.
The mobile phone does work in the areas that lora doesn’t so is there a way to receive corrections in my home office which is in range of the XLR putting the corrections online as a backup instead of building antenna higher which may not be possible.
I have a spare LR SimpleRTK2B rover, could that be used somehow?

Yes that’s essentially what I do. Use a 3.3v Serial to USB adapter, such as this one. Only Vcc, Gnd, Tx, and Rx are needed. Then I use the open source ntripserver program on a raspberry pi to connect to the serial port and then push it up to rtk2go.

So do I connect that adapter to my base station or to my rover to get the correction messages it gets from the base station?
I have also got a couple of dragino arduino lora shields, could something like that receive corrections data to be sent to rtk2go?

Maybe I misread what you’re doing. What I understand is that sometimes you can’t get a clear connection to your base station, so using a cell-based internet connection would work. To do that you need a way of getting your base station messages to rtk2go. What I described was one method to do that without physically connecting to the base station. Instead a receiver nearby, attached to a computer, picks up the 900 MHz broadcasts and sends those to RTK2go. This is on the base station side, or near the base station. If the base station is already close to a computer you can connect the USB to serial adapter directly to the uart2 TX line that is already feeding the XLR radio.

On the rover you’ll need a means of getting it from the phone to the F9P. This could be something as simple as a bluetooth serial adapter board that connects to the F9P’s uart RX pin, just like the roving radio unit does. I use a sparkfun silver bluetooth adapter. You could have the 900 MHz receiver connected to uart2’s RX line and the bluetooth connected to uart1’s RX line. Then the F9P would take messages from whichever source had valid data on it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Yes that’s about it.
Just want to fill in the radio black spots with RTK2go.
The base station is within radio range but not WiFi of my computer.
So I will need to connect a computer or raspberry Pi to a receiver
Find the network ID to connect to base corrections
Use NTRIP to push data to RTK2go
Agopen signed in to RTK2go
Have I got the basics right?

I am a bit out of my depth but it is always a good day to learn.

Thanks for your help.

You don’t necessarily need a full computer. I suppose an ESP32 board could listen on the radio and make a connection to the NTRIP server if you were inclined to write a program to do it or found someone that could help put together a sketch or some firmware (see below).

But yes, you’ve got it about right. At least that’s what i do. You need the network preamble ID and the hopping id to be the same on all your radios (rovers need to match the base station).

The raspberry pi part is tricky since you don’t have any experience there. Maybe someone has an ESP32 sketch that would do the job with just a radio receiver and an ESP32 connected together. Maybe the ESPRTK folk would be willing to tackle that. Wouldn’t hurt to reach out to them. They already have most of that functionality in their product. Would just be a matter of stripping out some things since you already have the F9P broadcasting RTCM over the air from your base station.

Okay, at least I have a starting point now.

I will reach out and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again for your help.

I can assist somewhat with running ntrip server on linux on a pi with my systemd start script. But that presupposes some linux knowledge. ntripserver has to be compiled from source. I don’t have the time and resources to make a ready-to-go SD card image for the Pi, which would be nice. I guess another avenue to explore is to reach out to @Stefan regarding his RTK Base Raspberry pi base station. He might have the means of modifying his existing image to do what you want to do with just an SD card image to boot on the Pi.

It is looking more and more like its not a plug and play afternoon upgrade for me but certainly worth pursuing.

I have limited Linux knowledge but did experiment with it a few years back.

If I was able to get WiFi with yagi to my base station would your first suggestion be more (plug and play)?

Could be. What hardware do you have on the base station?

Just a standard XLR simpleRTK2B base plugged into power via usb xbee socket.
I do have a Pi zero on hand but will have to get usb TTL converter.

Edit. simpleRTK2B-F9P V3 board with an XBee Pro SX for sending corrections.

Do you have any photos of your set up described, I’m trying to build one with an xlr from mouser it was $100 than ardusimple’s website. I’m hoping with some photos, that will give me confidence i set this up right.

Thank you in advanced!