SparkFun GPS-RTK2

Hi everyone,
does someone have experience with the sparkfun board. Since it also uses the F9P it should be almost the same.

But I think it got two nice features

• battery to save satellite constellation, so very fast hot start
  • smaller form factor

What are the dis/advantages?

The only disadvantage is that it’s 3.3v and not compatible with 5v logic levels like the simplertk is. But it’s a nice board and you can use i2c with it if you want. I have a small supply of these boards. I use one on my base station.

Another disadvantage might be the form factor. Must solder wires or use the qwiic i2c connector. Can’t just stack on an Arduino compatible board.

Ah ok super. So usage is the same with ublox center.

Thinking about another smaller dual PCB, so wiring and form factor would be no problem.

1 Like

You are going to use this F9P at RTK precision, I doubt you will notice any hot start advantage from the battery (but no disadvantage either). By the time you have AOG up and running, the F9P has obtained first fix anyway and ready to send the coarse position to the NTRIP caster if needed and you will get RTK fix equally fast as soon as the necessary correction messages have arrived. If coarse position is not needed, F9P will anyway be ready by the time you have your computer up and running and AgOpenGPS started.

The spark fun board is great but you are responsible for soldering and specifying all of your peripherals.

There are also very polished packaged F9P solutions like EMLID M2 that use the same chip.

The best part about any F9P board, is they all very work extremely well. The lure of a $15k SF6000 is lost after seeing how solid the data off an F9P is. The time spent tinkering is well worth the reward.

1 Like