Starfire 3000 Tilt compensation

Can you tell me more about the canbus due? I have one, but isn’t for inline i don’t think. not home so can’t check

Or maybe better for canbus discussion

yeah I’ll start a new topic.

Pretty sure the Nav does the roll because on a different Case machine, sprayer I think, you had to mount it a certain way to match setup. Does the steering angle sensor data get into the Nav data or is it seperate? Before this little black angle sensor box Case used a mechanical sensor at the articulation point, had a little lever on it.

1 Like

I suspect you’re correct. It is probable that the little black inertial unit is for steering angle sensing only. I haven’t looked at it closely, but I think it had a CAN connection going to it, so I assume to sends steering angle information over the CAN bus to the NAV II controller. Given what we know about AOG steering I assume the NAV II controller has to know the steering angle.

Makes me wonder where the sensor is on my combine. I always assumed it was a linear potentiometer inside the steering cylinder. Wonder how it’s tied in (via CAN or just analog wires).

For some reason on combine I’m thinking it’s under the cab

You really want it on the pivot point of the vehicle. Limits the movement more to angular velocity.

But companies are doing really clever things today. so it could be anywhere now

I know the sensor is on the steering ram on the combines. I’m just not sure if it’s CAN right from there, or if the analog wires go up to an ECU somewhere.

I think mdmcurt was referring to the NAV II computer, which is mounted on the floor under the right-hand console on my combines.

On my combine NH CR9060 , steer sensor is linear potentiometer inside the steering cylinder ,analog wires , but vcc +12v and signal 0-5V . i m gonna put delphi on my combine , my linear is dead. I haved test , it can work.

1 Like

Certainly be very interested to know if the serial output is compensated also if that is the case. And also, what settings is it compensated off…whatever the last settings that were used on a greenstar display were?

I’ll try to find out later today I hope.

Any compensation is done based on the parameters stored in the TCM section of the Starfire setup. The only setting my monitor lets me change is the antenna height, but there are settings for whether the receiver is mounted in front or behind the axle, and the distance it is away from that. I think the receiver hard codes those settings based on what tractor it detects that it’s plugged into. And of course roll compensation is based on the IMU inside the starfire receiver (they call it the Terrain Compensation Module or TCM).

EDIT. If there’s no GreenStar monitor attached to the Starfire, I don’t know how one would tell what parameters the TCM is using for antenna height and fore/aft offset, nor how one would set them.

Okay the serial NMEA output from my Starfire iTC is definitely affected by the TCM. If I disable the TCM, it clearly shows a change in the lat and lon data, consistent with the hill I was parked on. Interestingly the altitude reading was not changed by the TCM, which makes sense as it’s not required for accurate steering.

So if anyone reads this in the future, please disregard my earlier messages on this thread (sigh).

I use a SF 3000
How did you connect the receiver to your laptop/tablet I tried to create my own harness, I managed to get power to the receiver but couldn’t get it to communicate with the laptop
Any suggestions??

You need to make sure the serial output is turned on, using either a greenstar display, or the ITCConfig utility for windows…

1 Like

I currently use the receiver for greenstar on my sprayer and the receiver seems to work fine or is there a way of checking it on the greenstar display in settings

Yes, you can go into the receiver settings on the greenstar display, and turn the serial output on / off and associated messages / other settings.

Ok thanks

What setting do you recommend ??

GGA at 5Hz is enough for AOG. Baud rate doesn’t matter greatly. The default is 38400, which should be fine.

I created the harness for the receiver, the 3000 is getting power and picking up satellites but I plugged the usb int the laptop and the screen went black. Is this because I use the usb straight from the reciever eg ground,RX,TX

Should I use the harness that John Deere produce or should I try to use it through Bluetooth??

So you made a cable that connects the 3000’s serial lines directly to the USB’s RX and TX lines? If so, that can’t work. The 3000’s serial lines are RS232. You will need a USB RS232 Serial adapter to hook RS232 to your laptop’s USB.