Teensy PCB Mount

I bought a set of V2.4 Standard boards from the forum and was doing some pre testing and fitment and believe the board may not be assembled correct.

I attached a couple of pictures, the four pin female headers on the right side are a different size and seem to have different offsets. All 5 of my boards look the same, what’s normal…?

They are assembled correctly. Those are the 20+4 headers and they are a pain in the ass. You will probably have to pull off the plastic from the small header and file it down. There were some instructions in the AIO discussion

I de-soldered the whole thing and put in a one piece female header instead now it’s all perfect.

Question is, why in the world is it ‘correct’ and standard to do it with these 4 pin females?

It was how it was done for parts availability. All of the V4 boards now have the option for the 24 pin header. You don’t have to take the whole header off and replace it. It is much easier to just pull off the 4 pin header and file it down.

To further clarify, you can pull just the plastic housing off to sand the end but sometimes the contacts are still soldered in a little crooked.

1 Like

I probably could have sanded it and will try it on my other board, it just seemed too thin already.

What pins is everyone using for the long ethernet pins?

Did you find a solution for longer ethernet pins? I’m considering soldering a 2x3 female socket to the bottom of my teensy, then putting the male pins into it and basically sandwiching them in between this and the female socket on the pcb. It looks like it will get things to the corrrect height(or very close). It is on a panda board, not sure if this is a good solution or not.

It’s a good solution. It keeps the Teensy able to be inserted into future projects or breadboards.

2 Likes

I am not sure one could put a Teensy with the Ethernet pins on the bottom into a breadboard. The Ethernet pins would line up with pins 20 & 21. My breadboards have a busses going side to side which would short all the pins together.

With a female socket on the bottom of the Teensy, you wouldn’t have the pins interfering with the bread board

True. However, you would not be able to use Ethernet unless there were also pins or socket on the top. Kind of limits the usefulness.