Tool Steering

Mechanic, which microcontroller did you install and test Panda on? I tried to install on arduino nano and esp32, but I failed, there were errors in the sketch.

I think there’s only Teensy code for it

Looking at the functions and algorithms, I also thought that this sketch is intended for Teensy. I want to try to adapt it for nano or esp, if it turns out to be possible. I am not a professional in programming)))

I think the ESP could process the data fast enough but not the Nano.

I absolutely agree with you! Moreover, the cost of nano is now the same as esp32, and even more expensive.

Yes I installed it on teensy 4.1

You need an MCU that definitely has at least 2 high speed hardware serial ports with high clock speed. The nano need not apply.

The code is written for the teensy only and would be need to be rewritten for esp32. The reason for teensy 4.1 is the built in ethernet

Thank you so much for the answer, Brian! Everything became clear to me. Soon I also want to try Teensy at work.

We are getting close to nailing this stuff down to workable code. Some of the problems are like everyone else, the sad news that parts will not be available. It would seem the teensy might be the next victim of out of stock by the mcu made by nxp.

Does this tool steering possibly also include changing the width of a plough behind a tractor?
I would be very interested in this…

I think it would work for straight lines if you were able to install the GNSS antenna at the last furrow position. In practise quite impossible on a reversible plough. Also not necessary, a simpler approach measuring the tractor position and adjusting the plough width accordingly.

Yes that’s exactly what I mean, changing the plough width based on the tractor position.
Steering the tractor while ploughing is undoable…

Why steer just let it go in furow and put on a movie😂

Never tried normal autosteer why it doesn’t work for plough (without rotation) we have IMU?

Do you mean “why steer instead of driving auto-steer on”? I’ve done it a few years before moving to plough control. Or did you mean “just let the tractor follow the furrow and don’t care about straight furrows”?
The problem with normal auto-steer with ploughs is that soil varies and the furrow line varies. Auto-steer has difficulties to steer left and right from the furrow. On-land is different. One can set work width of the plough a bit wider than the AB-line distance but it still often gives too little room for steering.
IMU, if you mean the tilt measurement, is not so much needed for non-reversible ploughs, not even for reversible ploughs as long as the furrow depth does not change. The tractor just drives with a constant offset from the real AB-line on the ground. Of course a roll sensor makes control more accurate.
I also doubt there are many auto-steer tractors pulling variable width non-reversible ploughs?

1 Like

When the tractor drives in the furrow, you won’t be able to correct the path as steering in the furrow doesn’t work :slight_smile:

And indeed, when you have soil varies, the plough will go wider or smaller by itself (because of the resistance of the soil). Because of this the line will never get straight. The only way to make it straight is by adapting the plough width.

So, it would be nice if the plough width can be adjusted based on the GPS positioin.
For example, check: FARMVLOG #50 MF 6718 ploegen, ploughing with the American flag - YouTube (from 2.00 minutes)

1 Like

There’s always first. I have 2 body plough i want to buy 3 body not really interested in reversible (new $$$ used when repair is needed $$$). Used vario plough are cheaper and hope that vario system breaks less then reverse point for reversable ploughs.

So antenna on plough antenna on tractor and AOG will have function for variable with control? Would you recommend going down that path or is it too much hasle for small amout of land?

I don’t have the knowledge to advice you but I’d say once tool steering is ready, I would give it a go. All you need is an interface to control the hydraulic cylinder adjusting the plough width.

In this case you would not need an antenna at the tractor while tool steering is working as the tractor does not need to be steered. Auto steer would be useful for the start of the field.

1 Like

It would be time consuming to remove antenna from cab to plough. If only antenna is needed it is 50€.

Thats far out I want to test AOG in seeding soon then if it all works maybe go for section control and this project. Teensy 4.1 availability is real problem sites that have it have very expensive shipping or dont send hire.

Digikey has a pile of Teensy 4.1 in stock right now, get one while they last.

Awesome addition, just when I thought AOG had the most functions, yet more functions.

Digykey is 80$ shipping for single board not justifiable.

There is free for 150$ and up but with current corn and wheat export ban imposible.