Trimble FM750 Interface

Yes, the surface might not like rain.
I put together a esprtk Base station with 1008 inject over the Christmas holidays, and it seemed to connect to my Trimble rovers Ok in my limited testing. Just waiting for a few parts and then plan to wire it up permanent in a box and test some more, esprtk is working on having it work as a caster so won’t need to use rtk2go or another caster. If it works Ok will update on discussion board

JP on the emlid forum used @torriem 1008 inject and got a fix with a Trimble FMX 1000.

I have run the 1008 injector as well but found it needed to be run on the DUE vs NANO if all constellations were being used.

Otherwise my Trimble base would disregard it as not RTCM3 because the timing was off. Even after the timing issue problem was unable to get a fix with it. But the antennas are sitting inside a window currently due to winter so that might be part of it.

I have been watching @torriem setup for awhile but not techy enough to get it setup so tried the esp

I won’t mind changing the control screen for a windows 10 tablet but on the other hand I would like to use my “EZ-Pilot trimble” with AGoPenGPS. Someone tried ?

Both the Ez-Pilot steering system, and Ez steer motor are driven by CANBUS commands from the Trimble guidance system. I have not found any posts yet about a working fix for them.
Some people are working on commands to OEM equipment steering equipment, but the PGN messages can be different for each brand.

This would be a work in progress.

Yes, I would like to find some information. The EZ-Pilot is a very good product to use with AgOpenGPS.

Do you consider the price of the EZ-Pilot “very good” for us AgOpenGPS users? I’d be interested about a commercial electric steering wheel but never seen any product at an acceptable price level. I guess I’m just too poor, but do not seem to be the only one.

Trimble equipment is nice, but just the price of the steering wheel or the steering wheel motor, is more than the entire price of AOG.

But Trimble, Deere, Topcon can pull the “Obsolete” pin at any time leaving you with very expensive junk.

The Ez150 works great still with an external Emlid or F9P. But no manufacturer upgrade.

Pretty sure the ez steer motors are just powered, multiple wires of pos and neg but no can bus just power. Ez pilot may be different, I have not seen them

No the price is very expensive but I have the equipment. I am RTX center point with trimble but now I would like to use RTK with AgOpenGPS. The RTK trimble is too expensive

1 Like

EZ Pilot is Trimbles integrated steering wheel, they sold lots of them with the 750 platform.

I think your best plan is to build the AOG system and try it out, then if you like it sell the trimble to someone who still uses that system.

1 Like

Yes I have a 750 platform with EZ-Pilot but I would like change my equipment (Tablet windows 10) while keeping EZ-Pilot

I have used an EzeeSteer motor, isn’t just a brushed DC direct drive motor. It works very well, quiet and free wheels easily but far too expensive for what you get.

EZ Pilot manual

cable 4 on page 38 concerns me for the Pilot. Sounds like it involves CAN.
I guess the only way to know for sure is to get out the multimeter and test, and also if you are willing to take the chance of smoke release.

Ez steer also has a built in encoder, big hint hint for the guys making AOG with the WAS delete.

Ez pilot is in fact a can based setup. Trimble sends the ez-pilot can based signals to move the motor. If I remember correctly the motor is brushless so there are 3 power inputs and a built in drive circuit for the brushless motor.

There is also an Aliexpress steering wheel motor that runs off CAN commands as well.
But its spendy at $850US.

Potatofarmer, I came across your TSIP information on emerald. I had wondered for a long time if the project you are working on might be possible given that there is some documentation on TSIP. If you can get the TSIP figured out on the 252 other displays may be more similar than you think. A NavII with the latest firmware will still work with the internal gps from a ez guide plus (trimble 150). Trimble says the firmware needs to be lower but it will still work.

Thanks for the info,

The 150 is basically a NMEA machine, even TSIP is just NMEA encapsulated in the DLE/ETX of the RTCM Header. Also mixed Hex and ascii.

252 is ecef, but many many more message types, and all HEX. There are a few messages not covered in the TSIP 1999 Manual.

But i think its worthwhile, the 150 is absolutely fabulous using the Emlid.

So a ez250 hopefully is even better.

I suspect that there is at least some common shared code between all or most of the receivers. My guess is that it was used early on when trimble first developed the navII and they have continued building on it. Otherwise the updates over the years should have broke using the newer nav firmware with older displays. That is just a theory through.

Getting a navII to run autopilot with a 3rd party receiver would be a game changer. You would no longer need the trimble unlocks to run RTK on most displays. Generally when running an external trimble GPS receiver the accuracy is set by the external receiver not the display. NavII is still fairly expensive but is very reliable hardware.