Trimble FM750 Interface

As of tonight I almost have the first of the five continuously repeating messages sorted out.
All thats left on it is the 2’s Compliment 256 modulo checksum.

Its neat some messages have checksum some dont.

I am hoping like the 150, if the main repeating messages are complete it just takes off.

Its been a real struggle with the amount of data type changes and endian swaps so far. I also had to finally learn how to make a function, cast type, and the very powerful union structure. Programming C is like being a drummer, anyone can bang on it, but it takes time to be Neil Pert. Ive been at C since October and its fun so far. Its like PLC ladder which I am used too without the visualization.

The other thing that excites me is the amount of tuning parameters the ZF9P has, you can really make its response match the application.

1 Like

@PotatoFarmer Did you ever try a PIPO tablet? I wouldn’t need a waterproof one like you had mentioned earlier in the thread but they seem like they would be a cheap way to go with plenty of connections.

I ordered from www.pipo-store.com which ended up being a dead letter office. Finally got a refund from paypal.

Digikey still has not sent me the AOG board parts, waiting on backordered items. So i did not get around to reordering the pipo tablet off Aliexpress. Already have the ez150/rtk strapped in for potatoes.

That Pipo X4 tablet looks really nice. Lots of ports! Wish it was 128 instead of 64 GB emmc. But should be adequate. The Rock Pi X looks good too, if combined with a touch screen. Tablets are nice, though, as they have a battery so you don’t have to worry so much about power on and power off.

Im still going to try the pipo tablet. Just sucks the first vendor was asleep at the switch.

Only thing that worries me is screen brightness.

1 Like

If pipo store was a bust, where do you plan to order from?

Yeah brightness is always a question. I still dream of a sunlight-readable reflective display that’s as easy to read in sunlight as my older tractor LCD displays. Sometimes I can’t read my Pro 700 at all, and my john deere 2630 monitor’s backlight is losing strength and it’s hard to read too sometimes. The old brown box… always crisp and clear! I’d settle for a gray-scale LCD at this point! I keep hoping for advances in color displays that would be kind of like E-Ink but a bit faster than E-ink.

@Bwatts Aliexpress of course

@torriem Though it may not be stylish I was thinking of making a lightweight hood to shade the tablet screen if needed.

But we all know the way these displays will eventually head, augmented reality. Guidance overlaid on the actual crop, plus selective thermal vision to spot hot bearings and porcupines, and retina scanning to make sure your eyes are open and you are awake.

2 Likes

When you get that figured out can you please tie the thermal recognition to an automated turret to blast gophers as I seed and spray?

1 Like

Would you settle for a reliable way to mark rocks? :grin:

There are so many specializations of the guidance monitor that have not been realized yet. The next 20 years will be very exciting.

2 Likes

Lately my experiences with Aliexpress have been less than satsifactory. Lately every time, after the order is placed and paid for, the seller says they can’t ship for the advertised cost, and asks for more money. In one case the seller asked me for more shipping money after the package had already been received. I told him, no thanks the transaction is finished already. It used to be I could have them ship to my PO Box and it would come through just fine, but not lately. Really soured me on aliexpress.

1 Like

Can these products be useful for preventing glare?

They would be worth a shot, id try one.

The problem is usually the sun fully out competing the available brightness of the monitor. So this film would prove if its light reflection vs cancellation.

I use a surface go and us a matte anti glare film. It helps general reflections but does nothing for sunlight. I had to make a sunshade, but it is quite readable as long as theres not sun directly on screen. There’s a certain time of day travelling a certain direction when I have to hold my head in just the right spot to block out the sun!
I use Dell 7212’s at work and they are genuinely sunlight readable, but $5K each

1 Like

Did you remember a little bit more how it is working ? the ez-pilot got 6 pin, so I guess a +12v, a grnd, a 0, then if it is CAN, it will have a pin for H and L.
If we force the steering, autopilot disengage. How is this loop done ? perhaps a can message or the last pin ?

Anyway, I was thinking on trying to debug this, but what are the odd the message is “readable” (like turn +90° turn -10° … ) vs a complete obfuscated one …

Never really tried looking at the canbus data. I don’t know if you would find something useful or not. Only reason I had one open was to look into the bearing that were used in the motor and see if I could find any more information on the plug that goes into the case. I would like to find a plug that would match up with an ez-pilot motor but have never found one.

1 Like

Is it not a 6pin M16 plug ? ( did not check if it was exactly this, just from the profile it seems that) ( first answer on google 6 Pin Male M16 Connector Plug&Socket Shiel Straight Solder Type )

If I recall correctly the threads will be on the wrong side of the connector. I would have to go look at the connector on the motor to see for sure.

PotatoFarmer, can you please explain how this would work? Using RTK correction on a Trimble CFX/FM 750 per your comment of- “Or you can buy an Emlid M2 for $600, and everything is unlocked, and you can send corrections from your base through your cellphone.”

Also, can I just use a Emlid M2, their antenna, and a “free” state provided CORS to eliminate the base station to get started?

Very new to all this, but trying to figure it all out. Currently a lot of good information read all over, just not organized/connected yet in my mind. Sorry if it doesn’t make sense or answered elsewhere.

Thanks!

Have you paid the $3500 to unlock the Trimble to RTK?