Use Galileo Signal when no internet connection for RTK is available?

Hello, i was just wondering if it was possible to switch to the Galileo Signal instead of RTK.
This would be usefull when there is no Internet Connection for RTK available, because then you could use the less precise Gallileo Signal for Autosteer etc.

The simpleRTK2B ZED-F9P and ANN-MB-00 both support the Galileo Signal so could this be done with the same antenna?

1 Like

The F9P already takes all the satellites it can see into consideration when calculating position. This includes Galileo, GPS, Glonass, Beidou, and QZSS.

So if you lose your base station signal, the F9P will fall back to single mode which already uses Galileo. Using more constellations will gain more accuracy than just GPS, but nothing like you’d get with RTK to correct the signal. I think the F9P now can do WAAS and EGNOS, so you’ll probably get to about 1 meter accuracy without RTK.

3 Likes

You don´t need RTK from a Base to drive parallel lines. I did last year seeding with “single mode” using 4 “GPS” systems. USA Gps, Russian Glonas, Chinese Beidou and European Galileo, and NOT the Japanese Qzss.(I don´t think we see many af those satellites here in the EU.)
Only had to realign the AB line after a longer break, and no problem pass to pass.
I did not use any correction sourse. (no waas or any other)

4 Likes

Yes we use WAAS corrections for lots of auto steering here in Canada also. Might not do it for spraying, but for a lot of other operations it’s enough accuracy.

I’ve run the F9P with all constellations but correction less. It was comparable to a 372 with WAAS, only harrowed one field but it worked pretty good.

Better than an old 12 channel receiver with WAAS by far.

Don’t enable SBAS on the F9P because if you come out of RTK you will jump about 2-10m, its use none, one or the other.

@Hansdampf how far apart are your fields?

I think that depends on how well your base station’s location has been determined. For my Trimble 372 if I switch from RTK to WAAS (occasionally I lose my ntrip connection), it moves maybe a foot or two. WAAS and SBAS should be repeatable to within about a meter, so I’d think if your base station position was adjusted it should be able to also get within a meter of the SBAS fix. If that makes any sense.

It depends, some Fields are further away, but I would say all within a 15km Radius.
Also Our Farm is the heigest Point compared to all fields, would this help when building a base Station?

@torriem The position jump is specifically with the F9P. It happens when you come out of RTK back to SBAS if it is turned on.
The F9P uncorrected, is comparable to the 372 with WAAS.

@Hansdampf Yes with fields that close and having the farm on the highest point it makes it much easier for you to set up a base station of your own with data radio equipment. Unless you are lucky enough to be in a country that gives you free NTRIP. RTK performs much better the closer you are to the base station, with the least delay transmitting the corrections.

Very odd behavior indeed. That shouldn’t be happening.

I think it makes some sense WAAS is a very general correction over a very broad area, that is why your WAAS corrected position drifts over time and RTK does not drift.

So if you are in the right spot with RTK, then it tries to correct with WAAS there is no telling where the correction will put the rover. With SBAS disabled, it just infers position from last fix when it slips into float so its seamless.

1 Like

I just mean that while SBAS (WAAS in my case) wanders around with my 372, it’s never more than roughly a meter or two off of RTK with my base station. F9P should also have similar behavior. That it does not is strange. It should never be 10 meters out. Non-SBAS differential GPS gets better than that.

If you start with WAAS on the F9P and stay with it, it Is OK. But if you are in RTK and is slips out of float, and WAAS is enabled, that is when it jumps.

WAAS the error of the drift is very noticeable, but for no fees, and simplicity its all right.

RTK is all I want to run now. Lines never moved all last summer and fall, and will be in the same place this spring great system. As long as the base coordinates and antenna location does not change. Also found RTK holds a lot better, partially obstructed, in poor weather like before thunderstorms, and on days with higher solar activity.

Will be trying to Precise Point Position the base this year, it will ensure the base is set to +/-2cm absolute accuracy. Not really needed for pass to pass guidance, but in theory should be able to do quick survey lines with the implement edge if all dimensions are entered exactly. Also want to see the difference in accuracy between the 30min survey in relative position coordinates, and the post processed absolute coordinates NRCAN sends back.