(Variable) Rate control

Both versions will be supported for the foreseeable future.

out of curiosity it is possible that he can also read the weight and possibly control it. as with fertilizer spreader

There has been some work done. It hasn’t been tested yet.

1 Like

Working with 2 actuators?

Have you some ideas how to retro fit weight on a fertilizer spreader?

Does your fertilizer spreader actually measure weight with a load roller?

We are using the rate controller for a fertilizer spreader but we input product density into the RC app. Based on a uniform product density the weight per acre can be calculated based on an actual volume per acre application rate. This is the way that most fertilizer spreaders work.

We have been successfully using this for fertilizer application this year.

1 Like

Any way to make working Rate planner with new AOG 5.7.2?
I need to introduce a KML or SHP map

I have not attempted yet. Moving forward it would need to be imported into the latest slow poke version. It is where the code is heading and without usb.

1 Like

Hi jimc,
the fertilizer spreader looks really good. Nice work!
how did you get the PID settings sorted out?

JB

Thanks,

First try adding P until it wants to oscillate. Back off the P until it does not oscillate.

If the performance is as necessary then you are finsished.

If you don’t have enough P and it is too slow to respond then try to add some D to keep it from oscillating as you increase P.

Only add I if it drifts slowly over time and you need to increase gain to get it back on track sooner.

P gain should be the highest. D gain should be less than 50% of P gain. Ideally less than 10% of P gain. I gain should be really small. Less than 5% of P gain. Probably less than 1%.

I don’t remember my final settings but it was P with a small amount of D. No I. There may be an issue with I if I recall correctly.

1 Like

Thank you!

Hi Jimc,

More questions.

How is the rate calculated?
The fan speed sets the spreading width, gate opening and belt speed the product over time. Do you pick up the belt speed at some point to get a counts per unit value? Or can the rate controller figure this out with the entered density and no belt speed? That part I’m not clear of.

Thank you!

JB

In the products setup page you enter the Counts per Unit. In this case this is the belt encoder counts per ft^3 of product applied.

You also enter the density of the product.

With product density and volume applied by the belt a rate of lbs/acre can be calculated.

Counts per unit varies with the gate opening. Larger gate opening smaller counts per unit.

Got it, so then you skip the calibration procedure? With the volume you move by belt speed and gate opening you can calculate the weight.

Just curious, I want to drive a meter roller with the RC. The meter roller have a fixed volume per turn.

JB

You have to determine the Counts per unit by calibration. Once calibrated and you know your Counts per unit no need to calibrate again unless something physically changes.

For a volumetric meter you would simply need to know the counts per rotation and if you know volume per rotation then you divide the volume by the counts and you have your counts per unit. Add in density and you can apply a weight per area rate.

You could also calibrate the meter.

Hmm, that’s what I’m stuck on right now.

For my test I chose motor and in your application combo close is selected. I guess that’s that’s why you need the density.

For my meter roller I should be able to omit the density.

I’ll have a look at the code and check how it’s calculated.

Cool stuff.

Thanks again.

JB

Density is needed if your product density that is applied varies from batch to batch. With the fertilizer we apply each blend may be a different ratio of N, P and K so the density varies batch to batch.

If your density is constant then you can omit density and calibrate directly to pluses per weight or whatever unit instead of pulses per volume like me.

The combo close is because of the motorized valve that is used to control the belt speed. If you have a different control system you will need to switch accordingly.

Roger that.
Makes sense. Density acts as a correction factor to make up for the different specific densities, cool.

Hey guys . Couple questions. First of all if planning on purchasing all new just starting off . It looks like a new teensy rate RC_11 is now available… ? And with it what does it replace ? Is anything else needed along side it? Switch box? Anything else? Looks like relays are all on board… how many products and how many sections will it control?

Should also add here this project would just need 1 product , and not more than 8 sections…

And last of all how does it conect to AOG ?
Currently we have the new AIO V4.1 i think… micro board the latest steering board and tablet is direct connected to pcb with ethernet cable does this rate /section board connect in with a ethernet Y or a switch ?

Is there a product list item by item somewhere of all components needed to complete the board such as a teensy etc?

I really found the steering detailed wiki helpful it had a list of how to build boards , then additional parts to order then last of all the step by step programing for antennas , teensy, etc . Is there a spot like that for rate, / section control that lays it all out like that?

Sorry so many questions
if this type of setup questions isnt allowed on this forum is there specifically one around the rc11 board build and assemble specifically?

2 Likes