What are the costs of an AOG System? For Beginners w/tips

Take my comments with a extreme grain of salt, I have not even built my first system yet, just waiting for my parts to all arrive. But I found that I struggled to find truly 'Dummy" level instructions sometimes and I wanted to share my on going learnings for other new members before I get to the point where it all makes such sense that I can’t explain it or help someone with no reference knowledge. I have started to document some of these items in a Dummies Begginers guide at the link below as well. Might not all be correct, but its very much in DRAFT

One of the questions that I had initially when I started down this path was what is it going to cost? Comparing high end systems to AOG is like comparing apple and oranges. One of the nice things about AOG is that majority of the components are simple and low cost. Others are a bit more. Some are available next day shipping, others will take months. Most parts are sold by multiple vendors, and available with different shipping and availability depending on location.

I have posted a google sheet with a breakdown of all my incurred costs HERE, but at this point I am into my system for about $1750.00 complete with RTK, Autosteer Hardware, Tablet, Teensy Panda, and PCBv2

I wasted a fair bit of money, and a bunch more time by not doing some of the stuff below. I ordered from each supplier one at a time, only to come to find out after that the same supplier had items I needed for another component or had an alternative to a part that another vendor was out of. The amount of additional shipping costs is a bit embarrassing.

Ordering Tips:

1. Take your time
    -You don’t want to miss anything and ultimately your build time and wait for a functioning system is going to be determined by your last part. So no point rushing out to buy all the common stuff first.

2. Signup for accounts and build your shopping carts
    -Many of the vendors allow for uploads of Bill of Material lists, (search Brian’s Youtube Video), shopping carts also let you get everything ready to order all at once. Most places have reduced or free shipping after a certain price point, maximize your order.

3. Compile your own parts list in excel to cross reference what is ordered and from where, what is received, and what your missing.
    -This will make sure you are able to get everything ordered at once saving on shipping.

4. Alternatives are available
    -Supply of specifics items on the parts list often run out. But there are tons of alternative components available. Both Digi-Key and Mouser allow you to search to the most detailed spec, so you are easily able to find alternatives. This forum is a great resource for alternative suggestions as well for the bigger items.

5. Search for your build type in the forums
    -There is lots of very very useful modifications, adjustments or alternatives that have been discovered by community members, make sure you are building the most up to date version. Some options will replace parts on the parts list.

6. Beware of Amazon
    -Amazon is great for alot of stuff, fast and often “FREE” shipping and most items are readily available, but I found that many items are available from the more industry focused vendors at a fraction of the price, even when you factor in shipping.

7. Decide how many units you will probably want
    -Your going to get 5 pcbs, when you order. So you can build 5 units, Now some of the items are going to be expensive to over order, but many of the small parts are so inexpensive that if you truly ask yourself “If AOG works like I think it will, will I put it in my other units?” If the answer is Yes to that questions, consider ordering extras off the parts list so you can do more. (or fix a mistake if you screw one up). The panda parts list is nice that way, because it gives quantities to match the minimum 5 PCB orders.

Don’t stress and read as much as you can. Enjoy the project, I began by thinking a prebuilt board would be easiest as I have 0 knowledge of what I am doing. In 1 way that is correct, but as many others have said on post after post, building it yourself causes a significant increase in understanding what exactly the system is all about. I haven’t even done anything with my parts yet besides make sure they are in a nice storage box, but even the ordering process was an eye opener.

16 Likes

HI,
i can see my questions when i was getting those pieces for my module…
Don’t worry all of you can do that if you respect that @Keegan4123 says.
i have to get many things to many buyers and many times so money…
Soldering different pieces on PCB is not very difficult i do that and i had never touch electronics before
I have any notion to program arduino and this forum is wonderful for that there will be always one guy who can answer to your questions.
I started on april to buy pieces and in few days i will show you with some pictures that i had to do
I have to install wheel angle sensor and some parameters and i will start the Adventure AGopen.

I thanks all members of this community for the job they do for many years. Great job.
I will continue to learn and perfect my knowing with you.

Have a good day Michel

1 Like

@Keegan4123 This is very helpful! I am not experienced in building any electronics. When I read the guys commenting on this forum, I feel like it’s a different language. I know some of them are using a translator, but that’s not what I mean. The acronyms and other jargon are simply foreign to me. I am a farmer and a businessman, not a computer programmer. But this has immense value, and I am grateful to @BrianTee_Admin and the many others who make this possible and comment to help others on this forum.

A simple list of products and video instructions on how to put it together will make the product easy to create. That’s when the big tech equipment guys will have to lower their prices because people will quit buying their equipment.

It’s a game changer to be able to retrofit older, reliable tractors and still have access to the technology that only big farms can afford now. I have nothing against big farms. I do have something against four equipment giants controlling the market, and limiting access to the ability of the owner to repair their own equipment.

Many, many thanks to you all.

2 Likes

Hi,
i was at the same place of you a few months before; i read a maximum of this forum and i continue…
Don’t be afraid by technical names IMU ,CPMS 14,CYTRON,PCB…If you have any question we can answer and later you answer to someone …
don’t forgot “Farmers help Farmers”
You can see i also need some help to finish my PCB Kaupoi V4 in an other forum may be i made a mistake never mind some one will help me.
your first quality is to be curious

Have a good day Michel

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this!

Hi Keegan4123,

Any update on the build. Were you able to assemble the parts you accumulated back in July? If you were able to assemble it already into an autosteer system, any feedback on how the autosteer system is working? Thanks.

Hi Roger,

Been away from the project for a good while because we got to busy using it.

Auto steer was/is absolutely fantastic. We used it on our haybine to cut all of our hay this year and made things so much nice.

I have the parts and pieces to upgrade to the panda box but haven’t gotten around to that yet. So used the basic system on the v2 board with no IMU