Wheel Angle sensor

Thanks yes I was missing that the Hall sensor needs power, so I bench tested another of the princess auto sensor with my power supply and now I get the correct reading, obviously my first unit that I connected was faulty, lucky me. Thanks for the assistance. I will now hook up the new unit and see what AOG spits out at me now.

http://agopengps.gh-ortner.com/doku.php?id=steering_angle_sensor:start
Go down under the pictures and it is stated how pinout are for princess :slightly_smiling_face:

yes had the pinouts correct, but when I tested my other units I was just looking at the ohms, and didnt power the units so I didnt realize I had a faulty unit, thanks again.

1 Like

I am hoping for a bit of advice from people who have gone through the Wheel Angle Sensor installation process. I am installing my first WAS and I was wondering about what people have found to be the best way to mount it. I am putting it on a Kubota m135gx tractor.

I am using the Princess Auto SAS, and would definitely be curious about images or pictures of any mounting setups that are working well for people with the Princess Auto SAS. I know there are a bunch of images and videos out there on the forum etc, but It would be awesome to hear from people that are happy with the way their SAS is mounted (particularly if they are using the Princess Auto sensor). *For what is worth @puddles - I had a faulty Princess Auto sensor as well, but it seems worth the risk of a faulty sensor at the price point.

One thing in particular I could use some clarification on:

• It seems like the range of motion with the princess auto rotary sensor is quite limited compared to the turning radius of the tractor and I will need to account for this in the way the SAS is mounted. What have people found to work in order to increase the range of the sensor to accommodate a greater range of motion of the tractor’s steering? Extend the arm of the SAS?

Thanks for the help in advance!

yes just lengthen the arm.

A bunch of pictures: https://github.com/farmerbriantee/AgOpenGPS/tree/v4201/Support_Files/Docs

Also make sure the sensor is putting out 2.5v when wheels are straight, about 0.8v one way, 4.2 v other way and that should be good. You can weld bolt clamp and be creative, they are all different

2 Likes

20191112_171612Moving the 190mm length of the jack side dephi about 80mm

1 Like

received_450418665965734 Hello guys, i have just installed my WAS on Lamborghini R4. It has aprox. 35 deg on both sides, so it makes around 17 deg on each side. Is it enought? WAS is a rqh100030.
It feels that if you turn to one side it turns more than to other side. It is strange, becouse both wheels are connected with a rod.

Isn’t that because the wheel does turn sharper in way than the other?

As Apm pointed out it is the Ackermann effect you must deal with. But that is possible to do in the AOG program. I have a Hürlimann 913 which is almost like your Lamborghini, and to avoid Ackermann I connected to the connection rod between right and left wheel (close to the middle)
Most important for you is to find out how many degrees the sensor moves to get the maximum difference in output (probably from 0,5 V to 4,5 V)
And then match length of connection arms and points, so you get almost maximum when turning right to left.
My Honeywell sensor does 35 degrees to each side, total of 70. But you can get sensors with many different numbers of degrees.

Thank You guys. I have been reading about Acermann effect earlier this year, but somehow have forgotten it.
@Larsvest That was my question, doest it turn enought. Now i understand that to have a better precision we have to get reading as max as possible eg. 0.5-4.5 V So i will have to go through my design again, change lockation of WAS and extend connections.

Think if it is not worth to add a little work and install the sensor in the axis of the steering knuckle, then it will be accurate and resistant to damage. The way you do it now is very susceptible to damage.

@Vili that one is a very nice design, thank you for share.
@baraki Yes You are right, right now i am in my third design and most likely it will be like pictures above.

A couple of images of how I did mine. Seems safe enough here. It’s lasted 15 months up to now. Landrover ride height sensor.

Output is near enough linear.

IMG_6765a IMG_6761a

2 Likes

If you need stl files i can post it

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dQcc0i4QNPJ6XvKde8wLS5D7jVxoQlQ1?usp=sharing

.stl files and Fusion360 file.

ss 6001-2rs bearing one unit

Thank You guys for Your input on my project. It could be interesting for others too.
Mine third attempt probably is final. Had to learn some Fusion 360 and when this happened.
received_1702204966653255
![received_393082455282956|248x500]
(upload://l7UlElQxVW3IceZnHkpdOjfDaE4.jpeg)
received_522401298681262

Still dont know how to upload a vid, but my multimetr shows 0,8V on one end and 3,9V on other. Mid point is 2,5V

You need ajust ackerman angle in AoG Module Settings for same degrees left and right, right is + degrees and left is - degrees.

Hello everyone, I am looking into WAS, but I don’t know which one is best buy, I would be grateful if someone can share a link. Thanks!

I don’t think there is any best sensor. Many good ones have been mentioned at this thread. It also depends where you are from. The Honeywell RTY series sensor is a good one and popular here. If you search eBay for “SUSPENSION RANGE LEVEL CONTROL SENSOR FOR LAND ROVER” you will find some at about 15 Euros. Many other sensors are fine.

1 Like