Wheel Angle sensor

Has anyone looked at the AS5600 for wheel angle sensing? I’m currently using a automotive level sensor but the range is probably about 30* less that I would want on our Versatile pivot. You can specify the MANG from 18 to 360* and it will do an analog output as well as I2C and digital PWM. Programmed via the I2C but you could do that before hooking up to the board.

360 degre, 5V power , output 0-5V

The AS5600 progamable solution sounds fine.
But there is a mechanical solution as well: Short arm on automotive sensor and longer “arm”/attach point longer away from pivot center, would make the automotive sensor move full scale. It will require a connection bar between the two, long enough to allow the different roll of the two tractor parts.

Does this sensor work with AOG as a direct replacement to the wheel angle sensor in parts list? Seems it could be easier to install and more robust.

Should work fine. It outputs 0-5V proportional to the position, just like a POT. Analog pins on the arduino will read the value the same. I wonder where you get the terminals that clip onto the posts sticking out the back of that thing.

Yes the 0-360 looks robust, but can you get it where range is eg. 90 degree for full 0 to 5v output?

Specification says “Protection class IP40” so it’s not waterproof. I wouldn’t use this outdoor, since it’s very difficult to protect against water.

1 Like

About waterproofing, that’s a fair point, I guess I’m fairly confident I can waterproof a magnetic sensor though. The gap can be a few mm, so potting or a sealing shrinkwrap should suffice.

One point that was made about it was that the magnet has to be very close to parallel with the sensor, any wobble will make it give some goofy readings.

So cheap I will order one to repair my sensor. This one fits inside original housing on kingpin.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AS5600-Absolute-Value-Encoder-I2C-PWM-Port-Precision-12-Bit-For-Brushless-Motors/283604120823?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225076%26meid%3Da00bfa12328e46d7aa66913c2bf4b96e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D223716259761%26itm%3D283604120823%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
But idea to fix magnet over sensor: Ball bearing with housing bolted (with sufficient shims) over sensor in potting, on a plate right over pivot center. Stainless steel rod with magnet glued to end as “shaft” in bearing, to be the moving part. Be aware: don´t use water based potting, or shrinkwrap first!

I should design a UDP WAS. Would be very noise free. Use POE as well.

4 Likes

I got the WAS from Princess Auto [https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/automotive-headlight-cover-lifter-sensor/A-p8735755e?reviewTab=true] and I am wondering what kind of plug it is. looks like a Metri-Pak F0033 - F0034 type. Is this correct or is it a different one. I thought maybe some of you have used this sensor before.
Edit by Lars V 10 sep 2022
This camaro sensor link work today.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/camaro-ride-levelling-sensor/product/PA0009059783

I have, but just soldered the wires directly to the pins after trimming some plastic away. Gooped it up with silicone

I use this sensor. It works very good. I printed a Housing around it. Not waterproof, but untill now no problems.

I have the princess auto WAS connected on my desk its connected to the pcb version 2 board with the mma8452 a/d converter. I have soldered to the pins and I can see the changes in AOG but I find that the range when moving the potentiometer only changes the reading for about a 1/4 of the full movement. i.e. when I hook up AOG the arm is fully to one side, as I move it AOG reads the changes for about a 1/4 of the range of movement and then it stops reading any further, it seems like the potentiometer is not outputting any change past 1/4 movement. Do others find that, or do I maybe have a bad unit.
thanks

first check your pot. How to Test a Potentiometer: 6 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
If good, then check to make sure its wired to the board correctly.

Hall type sensors can be constructed to read full scale over a relatively small angle. The Land Rover one I use reads full scale over 90 degrees then replicates this from 180 to 270 degrees. The sensor will turn full circle.

not sure what I am doing wrong, I have tested lots of pots in the past and it easy to do. When I test this unit I only get 48.4 ohms between two of the pins with the pot facing up and looking at the connector the left and middle, nothing else between the others, but it does not change as i turn the pot, however, If I hook up the pot to the circuit board and apply power with the left most pin to +5v middle pin to high and right pin to gnd I can read a voltage change as I turn the pot but only for the quarter turn I talked about between the +5v and high. What am I missing, why dont I get a change in ohms with the unit disconnected as I test it but I get a power change for that short distance when connected with power. Obviously the pot has to be providing some change in resistance to do this. I checked with two different ohm meters and I have three of these pots and same result on all three?

What did I mess up

Measure the voltage directly right at the unit. Should be 2.5v in middle, 0.5 at one end 4.5 at other end.
Vary in between

I get 4.8 volts at one end as I adjust it will go to 3.6 volts and will not change from there. Doesnt matter how much further i go.

The thing you might be missing is that it is not a potentiometer (and therefore can not measure ohm) but a Hall sensor and as Brian says you should get between 0,5 and 4,5 V out
I don´t have a princess sensor so dont know if it is set up to measure only 45 degree or if it could be set up to output between 0 and 5 v in that specific angle.
Your last post indicate that you might be using wrong pins for 5v gnd and signal