Yield monitoring

Accurate measurement with sensors on the combine seems to be enough of a challenge for the big manufacturers.

The best way I’ve heard of to get accurate maps is to weight every trailer going into store and use the total tonnage to calibrate the yield map afterwards.

The only yeild maps I have were made by a Deere system over a decade ago now and had no post processing. I had spot wheat yeilds up to 22 t/ha which was probably where the combine had bulldozed. Because of that the colour bands varied wildly between fields and it was very awkward to visually make much use of the pictures.

I have an old RDS yield monitor in my combine now that doesn’t map. While mapping would be nice when crop planning, while combining I really only care about the spot rate t/hr to help judge forward speed along with the loss monitors. At times I think I would be happier not seeing the t/ha displayed while harvesting.

Keeping the RDS calibrated accurately isn’t easy, so it’s easier to use it as comparative. One of the issues that skews the reading fairly often is any greenary/damp material in the clean grain getting built up around the moisture sensor.

2 Likes

The most interesting thing is to create a yield map. The yield sensors are a simple optical sensor. It is necessary to enter the yield data at some intervals into the shape file. when the field is removed, the data can be processed. it is also possible to create seeding maps, having data from the seeding control system.

Hi All,

Just wanted to add my vote for some sort of feature/API in AgOpenGPS that could read sensor data and create a “heat map” from that data. I’m a dried vine fruit producer (sultanas/raisins) in Victoria, Australia and we made a simple yield monitor using a RPI pico and an arduino nano for our havester that creates a txt file of several veriables including a weight of between 0 and 5 kg every 500ms. At the moment this data is logged on an SD card for later analysis. Inputing this data into agopengps would be fantastic.

Thanks and kind regards,

Stephen

4 Likes

sorry no succes in my request
and no idea to modify the soft for my level
but this is a dream to link some value from a pgn board and report to aog by changing color of mapping …

4 Likes

Talked to climate fieldview about acceptable open source file types. Looks like to me, creat shp file and import to climate fieldview. It’s a $99 yr subscription. We enjoy it. Would love to see integration for planting/ applications with AOG and climate.

2 Likes