Yield monitoring

You can tell its cold and nothing is happening farming wise in the UK (for me anyway)… I’ve got loads of time to play with AOG and post on this forum…

Seeing as you can change the colour of the measured area on AOG. Would it be possible to send information from a sensor ie combine yield monitor to AOG. AOG would then parse the data and change the colour of the area on screen to represent the data.

Ie: Yield monitor sends 10 then 15 then 1 then 20.

AOG stores this data and creates a colour map anything 1 gets Red, 20 gets Green anything in between gets a scaled colour between red and green.

The data could be appended to the module PGN.

One issue I see is AOG having to re-colour displayed segments if a new low or high value is presented - how difficult would that be? To keep load off AOG, the sending sensor could send data out on a range between 1 & 20 and it would be its job to work out the correct values… Ie with yield monitor knowing already what a low yield and high yield value would be.

I don’t mind having a go my self but not sure where to start in AOG in relation to where colour is selected and where PGN data is read.

3 Likes

Hi
It has been talked here(more the data collection, not the mapping):

It could be used for all kind of data like yield, planter population or down pressure, fertilizer rate.
If AOG could just collect the data and export in .klm file you could play with the map color in other programs if it’s not easily possible in AOG.

1 Like

Hi,

I am interested in creating a Yield Monitor, but can someone provide a shape file and all the necessary files from the yield monitor? I have a rough idea of how to make a file, but I want to make it compatible with other applications.

Best Regards.

1 Like

With @KentStuff we discuss about this last june
but i sleep to much

i keep an interest to catch some data from board and have simple caculation to show data according some coeficiant like the speed and for me have some range of color taht we can adopt to paint the map

1 Like

I have some AG leader files. Not sure if they can be ready by outside program. I will try to find a shp file and send it.

I sendt you 6 files from the yieldmontor in my combine.

This is some challenges we have to solve:

• Where to mount the sensor? My system using a optical sensor in the clean grain elevator
  • When added in ex the clean grain elevator, you will have some delay from when the cutting head get the grain from the sensor will measure the volume (8 sec on my combine)
  • Its not a clear stop on grain, it will flow for maybe an additional 5 sec
  • A lot of registration in the headlands
  • How compansate for difference in moisture since wet grain is larger in volume than dry grain

There are a lot of questions about how to build the whole system. There is a cheaper option and an expensive one.

The cheaper option is the impact sensor on top of the clean grain elevator, and a moisture sensor in the grain tank. I know this will not be 100% accurate but It can give a general view of the yield.

The expensive option is to use a moisture sensor in the grain elevator, I found some sensors mounted in the grain elevator. Those sensors are expensive, I mean the ones that I found. If someone has an idea of how to build or find some inexpensive moisture sensors that can get the data fast and pretty accurate, feel free to write your ideas.

1 Like

I’ve been told getting accurate grain moisture reading is difficult. I believe temperature, resistance, and capacitance are used to obtain moisture. To compound things more, the broad range of moisture throughout season. Maybe just get the data logging and color part figured out for now. Could always manually put moisture in monitor just to get past that hurdle for now. Sometimes our moisture sensor is way off and we manually enter moisture anyways. Might b better of spending money on moisture sensor later. Jm2c

I agree with you.

I just thought of putting a conductive moisture sensor in the grain tank to get a rough idea of grain moisture.

I ordered some parts and plan to make Yield monitoring ready for harvest this year.

I will create a git repository and will post there updates. If someone has some ideas or wants to help feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Marko

2 Likes

I believe the esp32 has a capacitive touch pin which can measure capacitance. Might be able to use it to get a capacitance reading.

Hello everyone,
Has anyone tried a yield monitor? I’m wondering about using something similar to https://www.farmtrx.com. Maybe you could integrate AgOpenGPS and FarmTRX? Can anyone use this system?

1 Like

I have a FarmTRX yield monitor on my combine. The only interface we possible can talk with the FarmTRX box live is via Bluetooth. I dont know if we can use BT to extract data.
Another options is to download the result from their website and process.

2 Likes

How much is it to get started? Could we just use sensors? Looking at climate field view. Wonder if maps/ data are similar.

Are you satisfied with this system? I have a Massey Fergusson 38 from 1997 and I wanted to add a yield monitor (although it already has one, but the data reading in Datavison is tragic) maybe I can get this data from the combine’s CAN bus, then you won’t have to buy the whole set, just connect it to DRIVE from FialdView , and then something else to work in AgopenGps.

Yes and no. The app have just now data in the combine. No swath map etc. It have also happend twise now that the data from a field have been corrupted and its no way to save the data.

Other than that i’am happy about it, cheep to get, easy to install and nice map online.

But the measurement accuracy is ok? That’s why I’m wondering whether to buy it and add FieldView to it on an ongoing basis + swath map.

In general, everything communicates over CAN, I have PGN for this, so the GPS signal from Agopengps with RTK correction can be easily sent over CAN (I think)

1 Like

Are you talking about Climate Field View? I would like to run can from AOG to it for recording planting. Is this going to work ok? I understand can’t enter variety # into it without more work. I don’t know a lot about can. I have a can bus adapter. How do you recommend I accomplish this?
Thanks

I connected to my 2012 claas yield monitor sensor using and opamp to “share” the output from the sensor, so the combine screen still works and I can uses the signal.

A basic yield monitor has a light emitter and sensor across the grain elevator. You just time how long the light source is blocked as the paddle goes past. Short time = low amount of grain on the paddle, longer time = larger amount of grain and therefore yield. Then its a case of working out how long product entering the header takes to get to the elevator.

I was thinking of putting a basic IMU or switch on the table so that you know when the table is up so you know when to record and when not to. Also time the time it take for each paddle to go past the sensor in the elevator. This way you know when the combine is running and full throttle and when the threshing mechanism is running.

As for getting it to work with AOG… that’ll probably take the AOG team to come up with an API / way of submitting the yield data in a format required and AOG getting the ability to use it.

I tapped into my 2005 575R’s analog feed house height sensor.

The accuracy its depending on how often you are willing to calibrate and how much work you are putting in calibrating. Its only able to actually measure the volume that pass thru. But for me i’am interested in the weight pr area. The volume pr weight is not uniform in one crop. From field to field, from year to year.
The question is why you want this system. I have it as a supplement to soil samples to see where i have bad spots in my fields and make decisions how to increase the yield in the spots with low yield.

Its not connected to the combines electronics in any way. Its a standalone system that 1 sensor and a control box with BT and you need to connect to the control box with a phone or a tablet with the FarmTRX app installed to get the data out of the box.

I think its will be better to buy for example EX-21A and a Nano or maybe a Teensy to have capasity to process the result from the sensor.
https://www.digikey.no/en/products/detail/panasonic-industrial-automation-sales/EX-21A/3899387