12V to 24V step-up converter for 24V electric motor (AIO PCB)

What to look for when buying a 12V to 24V step-up converter? In my case I have a 24V Phidgets 3269_3 and to my understanding these are the things one should look for:

• (min?) 240W / 10A [1][2]
  • NO reverse wiring protection on positive and negative input, so the direction of the motor’s rotation can be changed on the fly.

Is this correct? Is there anything else to it?

What about these?:

1. Voltage converter from 12V to 24V, 10A, 240W, IP68 |
  2. https://www.amazon.de/voltage-converter-transformer-adapter-waterproof/dp/B08RDCSTRT/

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Either of those will work. I should also not that the 12-24v converter should never have the input polarity reversed. It should be supplied with fused and switched 12v power from the battery and the 24v output should go to pin 18 on a v4 board or to the screw terminals on a v2 or v3 board. The cytron is capable of 6-36v input and while switch polarity to reverse the motor.

4 Likes

Thanks! So the reverse wiring/polarity protection aspect of the converter does not matter, right?
What do you mean by “switched 12v power”?
Should there be two connections from the battery to the PCB, one(A) to supply the PCB components and another(B) to supply the 24V motor only?
Like this (AIO PCB V2):
[Battery 12V] <–(A)–> [fuse] <—> [PCB “Battery + / +12V IN” (pin 22) & “Battery - / GND” (pin 23)]
[Battery 12V] <–(B)–> [fuse] <—> [12V IN {Converter} 24V OUT] <—> [24V IN screw terminal {PCB} “Left” (pin 5) & “Right” (pin 6)] <—> [24V motor]

Edit: added “[fuse]” to the example.

12-24v converter needs a fused switched supply from the battery into the 12v side of it
the 24v goes to the pcb

1 Like

To clarify, 24v goes to the cytron pwr input.

1 Like

Thanks! Then what’s the purpose of the 24V screw terminal on the PCB (AIO V2)?

when you use that + place the right solder the current goes through a device called ACS which can be used to detect the current flow.
AgOpenGPS has a setting that can disable autosteer when a certain current is exceeded. (I.e. you grab the wheel motor stuck → current goes up → autosteer off)

2 Likes

That goes to the Cytron pwr input with the correct jumpers.

1 Like

So you can either connect it to the Cytron directly or the 24V IN screw terminal on the PCB (AIO V2)? Or have I misunderstood your first comment as that the 24V is needed to be connected to the Cytron directly, instead you meant that the 24V is going to end up routed to the Cytron through the PCB?

I recommend reading through the wiki. You can go direct to the Cytron but then you skip the ACS which can be used to sense current surges to disengage autosteer when you grab the wheel.

1 Like

What about this cheaper one:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/SUPERNIGHT-Converter-Waterproof-Voltage-Adapter/dp/B08H5BX3TZ ?
Is it too cheap to have an ok quality?

I always bought the cheapest I could find, never had trouble with a step-up converter. The Phidgets motor is actually specced at 30 Watt, so you have some overhead capacity.

1 Like

Can anybody answer this please?

I think it doesn’t matter wether there is reverse wiring/polarity protection or not. (The one linked below has it.)

In the end I bought this one:

I have one 15A fuse (10A blown) connected to the 12V battery and then two different connections, one to the PCB and another one to the converter. After a few days it looks like everything works fine.