Alternative gps module

Did anyone tried this module?
Its much cheaper then ublox

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! US $55.69 | Quectel LC29H High-Precision Dual-Band L1 L5 RTK Centimet GNSS Module Development Board GPS GLONASS BDS Galileo QZSS SAW Filters

It doesn’t say which variant it is. AA doesn’t support RTK. If photos are accurate and that is DA variant, that can get only 1hz of raw gnss? EA variant will go 10 hz.

EA version is usable for agopengps, we shood try it.

If it works …
Cheap alternative …

Maybe i will order one for experiment.

If you can find EA variant its worth a try. UART can go 460800, NMEA 0183/ RTCM 3.x , RTK 10hz, everything else checks out. Especially useful for panda module, and in general 3x cheaper than f9p kit.

1 Like

Need to check if module supports L2 signal.

GPS L1, L2, and L5 frequencies are important to understand if you want to do precise navigation, positioning, surveying, and various other PNT (Positioning, Navigation, and Timing) applications. These three frequencies work together to provide accurate location data. If you’re curious to learn more, about “GPS Field Observation and Data Processing” and “GPS Surveying Techniques” refer to the following links-

It only supports L1 and L5.

A quote;
GPS satellite transmits signals at two frequencies, designated L1 and L2 on which three binary modulations are impressed. The C/A- code, the P(Y) code and broadcast (or navigation) message. L1 is the principal GPS carrier signal with a frequency of 1575.45 MHz and is modulated with the P(Y) code, C/A code and navigation message. The second signal L2 is transmitted at a frequency of 1227.60 MHz and is modulated with only P(Y) code and navigation message. The second signal was primarily established to provide a means of estimating the ionospheric delay to GPS measurements (Each GPs satellite also transmits a L3 signal at 1381.05 MHz associated with its dual role as a nuclear blast detection satellite, as well as S band telemetry signal, however these will not be discussed further).

I will buy one and try.

what about um982? Dual reciever. um982
Supports GPS L1/L2/L5 + BDS B1I/B2I/B3I + GLONASS G1/G2 + Galileo E1/E5a/E5b + QZSS L1/L2/L5 + SBAS
â—Ź Dual-RTK technology
â—Ź Adaptive recognition of RTCM format differential data
â—Ź 20 Hz raw data output

UBLOX also has a L1 L5 version - the ZED F9P 15B.
I do not know at what price.
Ublox wrote an article a couple of years ago about L1 and specifically the L5 band.
Today the L5 band may have improved to the point where L2 is no longer required.
This is the old article written by UBLOX:

L5 is working on lower frequency, so signal strength will also be better.

What is output of dual? If you get NMEA then it can be fused as normal. Ideally you get heading from it as well, if 2 must be used then its too expensive. Ublox also has heading kit but its not compatible with AOG.

Thanks for point out the UM982. Looks very interesting. It’s great to see an increasing number of options. I am unable to find out much information on the UM982. The manufacturer’s web site is here: UM982 . But no sign of any configuration software, and no description of NMEA messages and configuration.

For configuration use uprecise.

Here’s a link to a link for uPrecise.exe:

The um982 is very interesting. Looks like it has literally been designed for autosteer. I wonder if there is a good devkit available.

Aliexpress seems to have quite a few boards based on that chip. I might have to order one for experimenting. Seems like most are around $200 CAD, which is quite a bit cheaper than the skytraq, and cheaper than two F9Ps.

Something like this maybe?

UM982 Module
Does anyone know what type of antenna connector is on that? Doesn’t look like a standard SMA.

90 degrees SMA DIP

Antenna connector looks like mmcx. Same as bynav c1-fd and most other oem boards in this format.

1 Like