Autosteer - Brushless Motor

A little bit modified Hoverboard wheel :

14 Likes

@giotoma Cool!! Is that a regular 3 phase hover board motor? Or did you find a single phase?

3 phase with hall sensors

Ok did you hack the original driver board or use a different one?

Vesc 4.20, like the one in the first message of this topic

hello , very einterresting , but I don t see anywhere how you control this engine , with a ESC ? I lokk for also the code for the arduino

Take a look at GitHub - Lechnerch/AOG_Autosteer_ESP32: AgOpenGPS V4 autosteer code for ESP32

Nice work!
Is that from a 6" or an 8" nominal diameter wheel? (sometimes quoted as 6.5" or 8.5") I could not quite tell by scaling off the steering wheel and pinion shaft. ( got 7"!)

It’s an 8", bigger is better, you can make the hollow shaft larger, so the adapter for the steering column is easier to make

hello , thank you for your answer , but did you have a wiring drawing , I saw that
but I not sure ti understand every think , Why a ESP32 ? I understand not the wifi ( you use D15 ) , I dont understand where is connect ESC , PWM and DIR ? ON D39 that it is ?

You control it using a Vesc 4.2 which in turn can be controlled from any mcu ( arduino, ESP32, Teensy etc) by voltage, PWM or uart.

Yes I was thinking bigger is better, probably more poles too. You can also get 10" hoverboard wheels for a bigger center hole and maybe more poles, but perhaps that’s too big, obscuring the dashboard?

Found a drawing of a 8.5" hoverboard wheel. What did you use for bearings? needle rollers? Also can’t quite work out how you bring the wires out from the inner stator, which must be fixed to a bracket behind, while the outer rotor is connected to the steering wheel and steering shaft. maybe it becomes obvious when you take it apart. The topside outer plate is welded to a center tube, is that mild steel or Ally? it does not look like off the original wheel.
8.5inch brushless wheel

1 Like

Yes I was thinking bigger is better, probably more poles too. You can also get 10" hoverboard wheels for a bigger center hole and maybe more poles, but perhaps that’s too big, obscuring the dashboard?

a 10 "could also be fine, even if personally it seems exaggerated to me, it also increases the inertia at the change of direction

Found a drawing of a 8.5" hoverboard wheel. What did you use for bearings? needle rollers? Also can’t quite work out how you bring the wires out from the inner stator, which must be fixed to a bracket behind, while the outer rotor is connected to the steering wheel and steering shaft. maybe it becomes obvious when you take it apart. The topside outer plate is welded to a center tube, is that mild steel or Ally? it does not look like off the original wheel.

then, the stator is obviously stationary and the outer casing and the central “tube” rotate, I’ve cut the wire and resoldered; I used iron because I had the one available, moreover so I was able to weld the pipe and the head plate (also redone that), if you want you can get all aluminum from a single block; the core of the stator was eliminated and a new housing was created for two 61809 bearings

I was just thinking about the effect on the magnetics using steel. It could be made from Ally by using the original plate and a TIG welder to connect the tube though. But it seems the iron did not affect your magnetics.

Just looked at a 10" wheel and looks like the motor part is no bigger than on the 8". It just has an extended rim. Maybe they are not all the same but makes sense for them to use common standard parts. Possibly the stator and pinion are common.
10inch Hover Wheel

Or, if the original end plate is thick enough, you can bolt it

hello how , how did you dio the bush we see betwen your fingers please ? I look for how do do the splines

Is this the sort of motor needed? Very tempted by this project and I have the necessary workshop equipment!! Would make my 716 installation even better!

Brute force :joy:, I’ve made the hole a little smaller then the steering spline and pressed together