BNO085 or BNO080 IMU

So basically, not only can the BNO085 manage WAS less steer, be mounted without the need to avoid any magnetic interference, but now also without the need for any specific orientation! Installation is getting a lot simpler.

1 Like

Does anyone know anywhere that has bno080 or bno085 in stock?

1 Like

I just ordered one from Aliexpress, havenā€™t received it yet so I donā€™t know about the quality. 1PCS GY BNO080 BNO085 AR VR IMU Hoge Nauwkeurigheid Negen As 9DOF AHRS Sensor Module Nieuwe en originele|Vervangende onderdelen en toebehoren| - AliExpress

Edit: I See the price is now 445 USD, When i ordered it last week it was 80 USDā€¦

we are in crazy situation ! one years ago it cost less than 20ā‚¬ :upside_down_face:

Indeed, now dual gps is cheeper than IMUā€¦

It is crazy, I ordered an IMU off Grandado on Monday for Ā£47 then got a message yesterday saying due to a technical error they could not supply. They are now on there website for Ā£157

How does the dual gps system work

Rich like a farmer who bought fertiliser last summer. You could sell for double what you paid, but then you need it too.

1 Like

332ā‚¬ for IMU and 211ā‚¬ starter kit vs 2 starter kits are ~422ā‚¬ and dual is better than single + IMU itā€™s probably better to go dual with these prices.

I canā€™t find good comparison of systems dual vs single + IMU with price gap closed it will be good to know for new users what is better there should be explanation of + - between them.

Just order and wait, better then nothing:

Mouser offers: On Order: 2 429 Expected 25/04/2022 for EUR 17,46 ex FAT

https://www.mouser.at/ProductDetail/Adafruit/4754?qs=hd1VzrDQEGjjfej09NGRTw%3D%3D

Edit: My order is confirmed for 25/04/2022!

Under this circumstances, it would be very helpful to create a V5 release, which supports also old fashion MMA and BNO055 - it can temporaly help some newcomers to getting started. @BrianTee_Admin

Wland I have just looked at the link and it says 23 week lead time

As I wrote, On Order: 2 429 Expected 25/04/2022

I got the order conformation which says estimated shipping date APR 26, 2022

The Chinese Bno085ā€™s boards I was getting for $23cdn are now $66-100cdn :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

What has this world come too.

In September last year I tried to buy a BNO08x on aliexpress for $28, the seller canceled the purchase, I managed to buy it a week later for $40, today the same seller is selling at $1000 :open_mouth:

One can only hope that none of the newbe pay such exorbitant prices

1 Like

As a newcomer, I agree! My main interest is wether dual is better for activities like planting where you have to drive really slowā€¦ I know single has a minimum speed at 0.5kmph, but is there something similar with dual?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve found thatā€™s what the Chinese equivalent of ā€œout of stockā€ is. Rather than unlist, which might have consequences for the seller, they just jack the price up (often to ridiculous levels) and if anyway did actually order, they cancel the order. Itā€™s a widespread practice, however annoying.

Testing my SkyTraq dual evaluation board I got about 0.5 degrees of roll variation just sitting still with a metre of separation. This is because elevation (vertical) varies by up to a couple of cm with RTK. Horizontal accuracy is about a cm of course. So with dual antennas you get a bit of error accumulating from both the horizontal and the vertical. That works out to about an inch of side to side variability at the axle when standing still, in addition to cm of normal RTK position error. So that means youā€™re looking at likely +/- 1.5 inches of error. Thatā€™s good enough for my purposes.

If the IMU integration can be done well enough, that should beat the dual antenna for accuracy. I think thereā€™s a reason why most of the commercial vendors are using IMU integration instead of dual GPS.

Although for very slow speed operation, It could be that dual GPS combined with the IMU would provide the best results. Heading would be super stable, and IMU would give a very stable roll reading with a little filtering.

3 Likes

I have set up a dual bynav and I tried to see how slow it would steer, seems to steer down to about 0.1 kmph then it stops the pwm to the valve. I know some of the teensy canbus code has been altered to steer when stationary so no min speed. I would think at that low speed dual would be better than single but Iā€™ve not tried single.

1 Like