BNO085 - preorder

People were waiting for months for the last date that Mouser gave (25th April). I also hung on waiting for that order to come through. Then they said May, now September.

The price has gone up from around £35 in April to £100 now. Having spoken to a fair few independent sellers in China; I don’t think they will be available at a reasonable price any time soon.

The reasons for this are unclear, perhaps a lot of these are going into the military or perhaps the autonomous vehicle market has gone crazy and national demand has gone through the roof. Covid must play a large part in this too as the CCP just shuts down entire cities / industries with their zero tolerance campaign.

I could be wrong, but my advice right now is to find yourself one, grit your teeth and just pay what is asked or you may be waiting for a very long time.

I think I have managed to get hold of a CMPS14 from Germany - it has been shipped, so fingers crossed.

https://en.reichel-versand.de/DEV-CMPS14.shtml

The website says there’s 50 in stock , and not too bad at EURO 52 shipped to the UK.

That’s half the price I just paid for the BNO085 units. Do you know if the CMPS14 is comparable to the BNO085 though, I hear that it is less tolerant of interference? Is it as accurate?

If so, then I’ve also spotted a few that are apparently available from U.K. sellers and I would be tempted to get a few in stock.

Edit: hang about…

“ Powered by the Bosch BNO080.”

So this does have a BNO080 chip on it. Is there any real performance difference between this CMPS14 and this:

Banggood[CJMCU-80 BNO080 VR / AR Virtual Reality 3D 9DOF 9-assige attitudesensormodule Uitverkoop - Banggood Nederlands]
CJMCU-80 BNO080 VR / AR Virtual Reality 3D 9DOF 9-assige attitudesensormodule Uitverkoop - Banggood Nederlands
Price GBP 81 or $100US

Is this real offer?

I doubt it.

Contact the seller to confirm, I bet the price is well over double what is advertised here.

Just an update:

No delivery at Jun 14

Received email from mouser today with probably delivery date Sep 12 (my order was from Jan 29)

I’ve had the same. After previous order updates I’m not particularly hopeful!

Mouser just pushed mine till november

I have no idea what has happened to these units, but have spoken to a couple of suppliers and there appear to be none available in China.

It’s like they have all just vanished. I wonder if the Chinese military / industry are reserving them all, or whether they have just been discontinued.

I think some android phones use it

Ahhh, that might explain it.

I’ve just found 10 with the Chinese supplier I recommended earlier:

$118 (US) per unit

Does anyone want any?

https://ae-bst.resource.bosch.com/media/_tech/media/product_flyer/BST-BNO080-FL000.pdf

VR devices and cleaning robots

1 Like

How about doing our own?

2 Likes

Hadn’t even considered these and I’m looking at an Oculus right now… Fair point, the demand must be massive.

@Ray_Jorgensen: I know that the chips are fairly readily available, in fact I bought some by mistake! I did wonder about building boards with them, but thought the components are absolutely tiny and probably beyond my soldering skills.

However, that circuit does actually look fairly straight forward. Might have a crack at it.

My thought would be to have JLC or other PCB firm solder them up for us. Why isn’t Adafruit doing this? Should we contact Adafruit with a bulk order?

If they would solder the boards, then I would take a few units. You’re right though, why is nobody else doing this?

There seem to be plenty of people here waiting for delivery, is anyone else interested in this bulk order?

1 Like

I’d head this up but I’d need someone who knows the parts needed. I am by no means a component person. I’d take 2.

I’d take 2 if they are reasonably priced

I can’t seem to find a parts list, but most of the components are identifiable from the photo below. I’d bet that someone here could probably identify everything else at a glance.

The big question is one you raised earlier; if there are thousands of people waiting on delivery of these boards, then why on earth aren’t adafruit just making them?

Might be worth an email to ask…?