CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

Didn’t exactly measure the whole range, but from the cab it seems very linear looking at serial monitor vs the wheels. And the sensors are normally linear from what i’ve ever seen plus its direct on the kingpin so zero effect from linkages etc.

You are right, all angle sensor in Fendt i am familiar with are linear.
The reason behing me asking: If this interface is using angles, the controller would need to know physical dimensions of the vehicle. Thats why most of the times radius is used, as its a one fits all solution. (For the navigation controller). This would make it not linear.
Just want to make sure we do get this right.

Doesn’t make any difference in the way it works from what we have been doing really. We have been using a range of 255 (bit low but ok), but we can use range of 65,535 (way too much). AGO is using range of 8000 for the degrees.

So just increase from signed 8bit to signed 16bit variables, do some bit shifting stuff like the Danfoss / Massey codes (but swap big / little data around) .
This was my test code if you wanted to see:
Fendt_F02C_8Byte_2CF0_6Byte_16Bit_Deg_Simple.ino (3.3 KB)
Fendt_Navagation_Test_16bit.ino (2.5 KB)

1 Like

Good call, ill check again on another tractor and manually check over the whole range.

Cheers. I was playing with the steer on off code later last night. I’ll alter to the 16bit I think, just to be sure any oscillation about straight ahead isn’t as a result of the low resolution.

1 Like

great this, got the canbus shield and go try it out on the johndeere 6130r of 2017.
not prepared for steering, but with a steering sensor, with canbus, but with isobus and ap transmission

this would work with the first project code. or are other adjustments needed?

it would be nice if aog could read out the steering sensor and control the canbus controls of the tractor.

This finally made it into the tractor tonight and, apart from a bus error thanks to me forgetting one CAN adapter is 8MHz not 16, it all works. Steer and section control both work as they should.

I’ve got a code issue on the autosteer arduino making it a bit jumpy and giving a watchdog problem. Steer is set to be enabled manually in AOG for testing and that works fine.

Lots of code tweaks to make it behave how I want but It’s going to work and that’s the main thing! So easy to alter how it is activated and what exactly it controls!! One single plug connection to the tractor and a USB to the tablet. :+1: :sunglasses:

5 Likes

perfect storage box …
tt

3 Likes

:rofl: They fit a treat! Bit of melting with an old soldering iron to make cable entries!

It will all get a makeover when I’m happy with it’s configuration!

The whole finished setup should fit within the footprint of the antenna base plate. Would make a neat easy install system then.

2 Likes

The simple solution is always nice. This is also a table lamp from the microphone stand I use.

3 Likes

Cool!

Handy pictorial periodic table for the more exotic projects!

3 Likes

Hello,

Next tractor that I would like to equip with AOG are a NH 7060 & NH 7030. The 7060 is older than the 7030.
I wonder if I could equip them with this CAN bus project: if I understood well, the project required that tractor are guidance pre-equiped and with ISO-BUS to send to the tractor the ISO-BUS message “GuidanceSystemCommand / PGN44288”.

I’m not sure if my tractors are pre-equiped (the older one I really have doubts).

So how can I check on both of them if I can expect to have at least one of them “compatible” with this projet ?

On both of them, on cabin upright I have this connector. According to manual, this is a manufacturer diagnostic connector. No details of pin assignment.
20210225_190217-min-ConvertImage

On the 7030 (the most recent) I also have a similar connector behind the driver seat, but I couldn’t find any information about it (don’t pay attention to the cable arround, they are the sprayer cables).
20210225_190351-min-ConvertImage

I also read above that NH is a bit more compicated than ACGO tractors.

Have you any idea ?

Thank,

Math

New Holland use a standard PWM valve with the Left, Right, Unlock coils on the steering orbital.

These wires run into the navagation controller (Trimble) and im 99% sure this navagation controller is not there in a steer ready machine you have to buy it extra.

So the steering valve is not really a CAN-BUS job.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
But I think I have the answer. Sorry for the question, I should have start by that before: this morning I have check the orbitrol of our 7060 & 7030 tractor: following a picture of the orbitrol of the 7060, but it’s exactly the same on the 7030.
20210226_103632-ConvertImage
The 2 left pipes goes directly to the steering cylinder. One of the right pipe goes to the cooling radiator in front of the tractor, the second goes somewhere under the cab (perhaps to the hydraulic pump ?).
No electric valve anywhere. So I’ve any knowledge of how a hydraulic steering works & a orbitrol works, but I’m pretty sure that these tractors have only pure hydraulic steering.

If I compare to our NH T7 tractor, with his Trimble RTK autosteering factory mounted, there is a lot of Eaton electric valves on the orbitrol.
20210226_104922-ConvertImage

Math

1 Like

Just priced a OSPE+PVED-CLS combo along with the SASA IID sensor, I reckon this is more or less what is used in the Massey and this is what is the Valtra T4 original auto-steer ready setup as well, afaik. Around 3keur for the whole lot.

So to get this working, I basically need to acquire the WAS from the tractor bus, feed the CLS controller with the curvature command and provide CLS controller with the steering angle sensor and speed data (to enable the SIL2 safety features).

Option one is to try to hook up the steering controller and the steering wheel angle sensor to the tractor bus where the WAS info is present and also hook up AOG to the same bus to send the curvature command.

Option two is to build a separate “steering bus” where you can either hook up sensors or get info from the tractor bus and also hook up AOG to this bus to send the curvature command. If no WAS is present on the tractor, you could hook up a separate CAN-J1939 WAS to the system, maybe even put the IMU and tilt sensor on the CAN bus (OK, if you have the arduino there already you could just hook em up directly). My thought with this one was to have a CAN-based retrofit solution on the same go…

Any thoughts why this wouldn’t work before wasting my money? Of course the CLS valve need to be configured correctly for the tractor but that should be doable with the Danfoss service tool.

which plug do I need, see photos.
20210226_132000    1 20210226_132213     1 20210226_132228  1 20210226_132238  1

I = isobus cabine
J = signal iso standaard 11786
L = service (canbus)

Jdros

Here’s the partial pinout for the pillar connector on the John Deere:
plug

The implement bus is the ISO bus. The steering system SSU, GPS, and any implement plugged in appear on this bus.

The tractor bus, which isn’t always wired in (it’s not in your case) would carry information from the engine.

One of the pins (can’t remember which right now) is keyed power.

I once identified this connector type but it’s quite expensive, over $50. I ended up 3D printing a plug to fit it.

thank you very much. so if I understand correctly, the w.a.s would be on the tractor bus. the rest like hydrolic and lift on the implement. bus. like itec

to you have a 3d file of the plug

No, the WAS comes through the SSU, and it’s on the ISO bus. I found it once (see Adapting a JD Greenstar ready tractor for AOG - #12 by torriem). Seems to give degrees, so it must be calibrated somehow. I can’t remember how the calibration is done. I’ll post the STL file on a different thread later today.

1 Like

Would definaty work thats for sure. Normally that exact thing is done offen when you only have CAN from the navagtion system you are using.

But when you have a PWM valve driver, a standard PWM valve is always the cheaper way to do the same job just as good. The PVED-CL setup is a more expencive way but very tidy (No extra hoses running around)

There is no reason you cant calibrate and setup a PVED-CL via the CAN-BUS and arduino, im going to build a calibrating tool when I get time as a project.