CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

It will work for sure, CL or CLS you’ll work it out.

The CC valve isn’t dual CAN tho, it’s only one can-bus pretty sure those blue lines are power / analog sensor wires not CAN

(SECU + CC) = CL or CLS

Are you sure the factory WAS is CAN? It probably just analog. If it is CAN relaying from steering bus to tractor would be better than the other way around.

You’re correct, it’s not dual CAN, but has two CAN connector so that you can put jumper cables between the valves, so one bus just going through the valve.

The blue lines are just power, mode selector spool etc. B2C is the wiring coming from WAS so that’s how I figure it has to be a CAN sensor looking at the -CC pinouts.

Now the next problem is with Danfoss not wanting to sell the CL/CLS/CC OSPE valves to non-OEMs… :roll_eyes:

Just buy a valve as a replacement part for a factory tractor, problem solved lol.

Don’t believe everything you see in the pictures, the person who made the picture was paid to make it look pretty and simple. Sometimes you have to check on the machine.

Yeah that’s what I thought as well, think the problem will come with the bloody access codes for the settings which I understand are needed even if you try to do it via CAN directly.

As for WAS, checking that out this weekend when back at where the machine is, just waiting for the pican2 board to arrive, long days :slightly_smiling_face:

Just saw in Danfoss asset doc this J1939 “potentiometer” (angular sensor)

Do you know on which tractor it is mounted?

1 Like

Found another can angle sensor. CAN angle sensor 424C.360 | IP67 protection class | elobau

Interesting. Any idea of price?

Has anyone any experience of Bosch Rexroth CAN spool valves as in the COM1 fendt tractors?

We’ve got one of these taken out from our Fendt 936 Profi (year 2010) due to some minor problem (broken coil or something). I didn’t find any info or exploded views or pinouts of these. Below are some photos if someone want’s to have a better look at their specs.

Screenshot_20210306-175234 Screenshot_20210306-175221 Screenshot_20210306-175207 Screenshot_20210306-175140 Screenshot_20210306-175124 Screenshot_20210306-175108

It seems to be Rexroth SB23 / SB33 serie, can be controled through PWM and… Canbus
Doc from Rexroth not as easy to find as Danfoss!

It’s around 200 eur I guess, this one is around the same price point: https://www.cw-industrialgroup.com/Products/Sensors/Rotary-Position-Sensors/NRH27C-No-Contact-CANbus-Rotary-Position-Sensor. I would say the Danfoss sensor is a rebranded Gefran GRA series

@Alan.Webb elobau isn’t known to be exactly cheap, either, I would guess something in the same range, the analogue equivalent is around 100 eur / piece.

Didn’t yet figure out the Valtra steering sensor, spent the afternoon changing the oil filters and figuring out if the bastards leak or not. I’m always suspicious of putting pressure filters tight by hand and then backing by 1/4 of a turn :lying_face: The sensor is probably the same on MF with a Dana front axle (at least). Would need to get the full service manual for the wiring diagrams, lots less guessing…

do you also have a cable drawing. have an idea that I have not wired my boards properly

The old COM1 Bosch ones are different. They have manual operation levers and just one AMP CAN connector. Maybe similar can operation though…

Did some measuring(724 S4). Steering-angle-sensor [mA] in relation to NavCont response
diagram
I would call this linear with ~1000bit/degree (maybe 1024bit/degree)

No matter what i tried, was not able to disconnect without an error message.

Spending of money has begun, just put the PVEA-CI valve on order for my current setup in the old Valtra, will start by a working hydraulic setup and just replace the PVHC direct drive coils with a canbus valve, so Cytron driver out and canbus in in the first phase and control the valve with J1939 messages instead of PWM signal, so same setup as guys have done with the PVEA/S analog versions but without the digital - analog conversion in between.

Let’s see what to do with the WAS, pressure sensor and in-cab switches. Doable with can sensors and rocker switch pad, but quite high cost. At least the WAS I’d like to put directly on the bus to get rid of the AD converters and regulated power supple, rest you could just interface with I/O pins directly. Maybe replace the pressure switch for disengage with a steering wheel angle sensor.

2 Likes

That’s a accurate test, good to know. Do you know what the full lock angle was roughly?

The one I looked at was 40deg and I made it out to 810 counts/deg. I haven’t tried calibrating with less wheel lock yet tho.

I did notice if you send {0x5, 0x04, 0x00} just as a 3 byte message, it sends back a message related to wheel angle but way less resolution, I didn’t have time to check it out on that day tho?

As for the error when disconnecting, I had a good go and couldn’t come up with a solution. One day we might come across a 3rd party system that you can turn off without an error and we will see what they do.

Would an 820 with an x35 system work? I could test one. Not overly experienced with sniffing yet buy I could try!

First is just to check it.

With it all running, remove the CAN wires or pull the power the Fendt should beep “lost steering commands”.

Then with it running, shut the Topcon down properly and see if the Fendt still beeps? If there’s no beeping then we just need to catch all the messages from the Topcon during shutdown.

I’ll have a go when I get chance. Pretty certain there are no beeps when shut down properly. His x30 used to mess about in cold weather and needed to be power cycled.

Missed this post, did you get the library / programming sorted? What project did you try and build?