CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

The WAS go to the steering valve. and then CANBUSbetween the steering valve, SASA, SESU/TTC, TWINTRAC, ECU TOPDOCK and the EDT 3 connector pin C-D. To the valtra i can get the most litterlatur :slight_smile:

Do you know if the WAS is directly on the bus or is the sensor analogue? Iā€™m retrofitting with the PVED-CLS valve that has a built in steering controller so need to build the steering bus on my own. The retrofit kit for autosteer was around 12keur :woozy_face: when I asked few years back so going for my own setupā€¦

thats correct, you have the WAS to the TC1 controller on the tractor bus if you donĀ“t have autoguide. itĀ“s a analoge signal from sensor.

Thanks. Iā€™ll take a look.

Iā€™m really interested how the new arduino code is going to differ from present and also quite keen to try the triple can capability of the teensy 4.1. The extra power is what I was looking for when I tried to get the code working on the esp32.

Quite a bit of work for a very rusty programmer of limited experience like me!

ā€¦also teaching myself a new programming languageā€‹:grimacing::see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Gotta ask stupid questions since 100 km away from machine again, is it a voltage (5V) or a 4-20 mA sensor? Can use the analogue WAS option on the controller then directly.

canĀ“t find if it is 5V, but itĀ“s a voltage read in the EDT diagnostictool, i donĀ“t think valtra use a4-20mA sensors, the most of them is 5V :slight_smile: And the sensor if i remember right is 2 in 1, that one circut go to the TC1 and the other go tho steering valve.

1 Like

I have a Fendt 926 generation 3 and in the cab there is a ISOBUS-plug.
The picture is from the operation manual.
Does anyone know if itā€™s possible to use that plug for reading the joystick?

1 Like

Pretty certain youā€™ll have to use the K-BUS connector next to the fuses.

2 Likes

Some thoughts on the steering setup on CAN for non-autosteer ready:

This is what Iā€™m building to the old Valtra with no buses whatsoever (with the J1939 angle sensors, drew the analog option as well):

This one is what I figured out for the T4 with the -CLS valve retrofit:

The Teensy board with BNO085 would sit on the roof with the F9P and antenna in single enclosure, connection to roof for the CAN buses, power and USB to tablet. Not the cheapest setup for sure, but aiming for the simplest possible wiring and HW. The PVG based setup is around 1000 eur for the hydraulics and under 500 eur for the sensors.

As for controlling the hydraulics, Iā€™d like to use the Teensy also for that, but havenā€™t looked how that would work with AOG, is it so that the machine controls are now via a separate board?

1 Like

CAN Steering Claas in the fieldā€¦
AgOpen CAN Steering Class Axion Video

8 Likes

That looks great. I have not found the time to investigate the Canbus on our Axion yet.

ā€¦another learning curve now!

IMG_9191a

3 Likes

No curve just like Arduino, you will love it. Have to use up any Arduinos i have left, then its all teensy all the time.

1 Like

The whole company ethos and information base is just brilliantā€¦

Donā€™t understand how Iā€™ve missed them before!

I think Iā€™ll order one and have a play around too.

Working the Claas out the other day the poor Arduino Uno couldnā€™t keep up with everything going on I had to do it in sections / steps to get filters setup and then it was away :ok_hand:

1 Like

The standard autosteer code runs on it almost without alteration. Just tested it on the bench after some negativity on the telegram group. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

They are just jealous of the 600mhz

1 Like

Teensy has several uarts also, a couple of I2C ports, etc. So if you want to connect to serial and other devices at the same time, itā€™s well-suited. Not sure about its ADC precision. Itā€™s a very fast and capable platform. So far Iā€™ve heard from four different farmers who successfully deployed their own ITC extender devices using them.

While you can attach any CAN transceiver you want to the teensy 4, I do recommend the skpang breakout boards that make it very easy, including a 12V dc dc converter on the board. Theyā€™ve got 4.0 and 4.1 variants now I noticed. That ethernet and sdcard capability on the 4.1 is neat too. Teensy has more power and more peripherals than my PC did in university.

2 Likes

Wow 600mhz was the pentiumIIIā€™s, kinda gives the tiny teensy some perspective.

The only thing I wish with teensy was a few more underclocking frequencies. The jump from 150mhz down to 24mhz is really huge. Would make it easy to figure out minimum board requirements.

Another feature that might be handy for this sort of work:

EDIT. I take it back. avoid threads whenever possible!