CMPS14 Compass

Just beside the seat 30 cm above the floor. Nowhere special at all. on a little piece of plywood connected to a nano connected to usb

Sorry no pic

I just got my cmps14 working with uno and machine serial to AOG. It seems the board needs to be orientated with ic chips up and wire connections forward. Is that correct? I understand changing some code, it could be mounted differently. How critical is orientation? Does it need to be set with gps heading? Thanks

Thanks Brian

maybe with the same hub that is already used for gps and autosteer
cmps wired up to nano

Yes,thatā€™s how itā€™s

see my thread here for the schematic: Spot The Mistakes

It uses a USB B connector like on a printer, big and rugged :slight_smile:
By connecting the serial and reset pins to a CH340 you can talk to and even reprogram an arduino without going through its built in USB

Hello

Donā€™t hesitate reuse the .ino Iā€™ve done for BNO.
If needed I can provide support to the team.

Math

3 Likes

I use your ino, the sensor works but I canā€™t see the angle here, is it normal?ass

Settings - Data Sources then you need to turn on heading correction from auto steer, same for roll.

Heading=from auto steer, roll=from auto steer. was set to. IMG_0648

What AOG is that?

Yes AOG. (new icon)
https://github.com/Vilicat-cat/AoG-New-Icon

Tag him / ask, he might have modified the display for GPS & IMU heading?

When I uploaded the original AOG, the problem was fixed, thank you.gf

1 Like

Ive made a little CMPS14 Enclosure with a Mount for an Rj45 Port.
The idea is to glue in the cmps 14 in the direction you like, and mount it inside your cab.

IMG_20210322_221613
IMG_20210322_221527
IMG_20210322_221553
The back fits nicely and can be glued in, i did use the rj45 Port mostly due to its small size and because i had one laying around.
If someone is interested in the Fusion or STL files i can upload them.

3 Likes

Nice work, have you used pca9615?

1 Like

No, just a Rj45 port mostly because the pca9615 Module from Sparkfun is not available in Germany, and that now since 2 weeks.
Even though my cable is one Meter long itā€™s not a Problem with the I2C Bus.

1 meter is quite good value, I have read that better performance will be obtained with CAT6 ethernet cable, one cable pair each for SCL and 5V and one cable pair for SDA and 0V
for network cables
this prevents the two signals from interfering with each other.
maybe p82b715 you can do it yourself.

Against my habits Iā€™ve actually read the whole thread before replying :grin:, so please correct me if Iā€™m totally off in the conclusions I made:

• CMPS14 always using the magnetometer, need to take care of placement to avoid disturbances, gets true north heading
  • BNO08x can be set up to work in exactly the same manner as CMPS14 if desired
  • Autocalibration of the magnetometer is whatā€™s partially causing the jumps
  • If using the magnetometer, usually better to place the sensor somewhere not close to iron and/or electronics
  • BNO08x in game vector mode is just a 6DOF MEMS sensor, no magnetic interference so shouldnā€™t really matter where you place it
  • Currently thereā€™s no big benefit in the AOG data fusion algorithm in having the true heading

Additional thing that Iā€™d like to experiment with is a BNO08x based WAS, there weā€™d need the magnetometer unless weā€™d utilize the kinematic constraints of the axle / tractor geometry. But Iā€™d guess you need to compensate for the gyro drift somehow in any caseā€¦

5 Likes

That pretty much sums it up as far as I can see, and a CMPS14 is twice the price of a BNO085.

2 Likes