CMPS14 Compass

Hello,

I remember you said I one post that you asked the question to them, but I must have missed the answer. That’s why I asked the question from my side. Now we are fixed.

It’s not a big deal, with 3 differents boards usable, the risk of supply break is very low !

It’s how BNO08x operate when configurate in Game Rotation Vector mode. Not possible with CMPS. Other advantage of Game Rotation mode: accuracy of roll is better than in Rotation Vector:
Using an other IMU ? Not easy: from raw data of accelerometer, gyroscope (and magnetometer), you have to run advanced algorithms to calculates eular angles. Not all IMU do that, with a good accuraccy (and also at a low price). And making your own algorithm seems not to be a good idea du to the complexity of them.

Math

1 Like

photo_2021-02-03_00-20-49

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

but in pcb v.2 there is no place for cmps14 (I think), and without a stable and safe heading, how to use stanley?

Plugs straight into mma socket I believe.

Yes, testing direct into MMA socket, with cables or with 2 PCA9615+ethernet cable.

You need remove MMA and BNO055 (Brick or DOGS2)

CMPS14 needs new .ino

Autosteer_USB_cmps14.zip (22,0 KB)

I think this is last for CMPS14

This not work today in V4_Upgrade

What would be the range of the i2c connection using just standard cable to connect the 2 units?

Not very long. The faster its going the shorter the distance. It was only really designed for on board communications. At 400khz a meter maybe. At 100khz a couple of meters.

The real limitation is capacitance, I2C breaks down after 400pF. Which is not much wire.

Also it degrades more the busier the bus is.

But its worth a shot, sometimes things work out of spec.

a metre might be enough to move it outwith any interference from the pcb though would it?
Would it be beneficial in a shielded enclosure?

People are trying all the possibilities, we will have to wait a while to find out all this. But it seems logical that a shielded enclosure would be ideal.

I am trying in enclosure and shorts cables (20 cm), but i am thinking put it inside the box, direct to MMA socket, last try is PCA9615 :wink:

Could this product be useful for i2c extension cable?

https://sandboxelectronics.com/?product=active-i2c-long-cable-extender-p82b715-module

I used the bno055 on the roof of the cabin with i2c-bus connected by a Cat6 cable, I guess 3 to 4m long. It is not recommended but it worked for me.

Hello. I am from Lithuania, I used the gps system created by you last year. I don’t speak English, so the language barrier bothers me a bit. I read the forum but don’t understand everything. I want to ask which is better to use bno085 or cmps14. Maybe you can detail how to connect it instead of bno055 and mma. Thanks very much

BNO08x

BNO085

CMPS14

descarga

3.3v//SDA//SCL//GND

Wich is better? That’s the question… It’s same chip with diferent firmware, people are testing for that question

1 Like

No. It has the same firmware. CMPS14 has an onboard microcontroller to produce a directly readable output, so you don’t need a library for the arduino to read the Hillcrest format. BUT it is stuck in one bno085 mode, and not the best one IMHO.

I need a sensor for my second autosteer project and it will be another BNO085.

1 Like

@Alan.Webb had you tested both the 055, 085 and cmps14

No. Just the BNO055 and BNO085. The cmps14 sensor is a BNO085 in rotationvector, as confirmed to both myself and @Math by the manufacturer. If that wasn’t the case I’d perhaps try it.

I’m not saying don’t use it, just that it is of no interest to me personally, given it’s obvious limitations and potential complexity of installation. If in the long run someone confirms rotationvector is somehow better I can simply use it on the BNO085. But it’s stats are worse than GameRotatioVector and GRV isn’t affected by emf or metal objects.

In rotationvector I can upset the BNO085 pretty much as you can a BNO055 and with rotationvector plus calibration on I have replicated once the dreaded BNO055 drift.

…and I don’t want that again. I’ve got the dodgy maize stubble as a reminder!!

1 Like

So what’s the bottom line?
I’m building my first board for hopeful use this spring.

Do I use the cmps I have here, or order a bno085 ??

Use what you’ve got. If you are using the standard PCB they don’t go on the board anyway so nothing to loose.

If you are going to have to buy i2c extenders to mount the thing then it’s another story.

Thanks.

Do previous aog versions work with cmps or do I need to wait for the current oone under development?

What are the problems of Cmps14? I have it inside the box of my pcb, I did not see any issue related to the mode in which is set up.
I see a great performance improvement in motor stability, no more fast rotation.