ESP32 as an NTRIP server / caster

I think It can be possible , but i don’t know any solutions … it just cast a stream … don’t need power…

1 Like

In my case (NeoM8T) I’ve used a Raspberry PI zero W.
The M8T is conneced directly to the USB port of the PI, the other usb port to a AC DC 5V supply.
The PI is running svrstr, it’s connected with wifi to my box which sends the binary frames to rtk2go (FRA_62160 caster). I’ve set the software for auto run at power up. Just to supply and go …
There is absolutely no wiring, supply, level shifting to do (in one word just enough for me …)
For instance seems to work and price = 10 €
I think that it could be the same with F9P
francois

1 Like

I will find out when my second Ardusimple board arrives!

As far as power is concerned, I can see two usb leads powering the two units may actually have advantages. Easy to configure / program each unit separately. Wall mounted clear enclosure with both units in and two leads down to a double usb power plug.

1 Like

I tried that with the ardusimple caster and it seemed to work, I set it as a caster with it’s IP and port 2101. Then logged into it with the Lefebure client with my phone on same network and it started moving data. Not sure if it was the correct data but it connected

1 Like

What I want is for it to work on the internet, beyond the local network. Not an area I am particularly familiar with but with the appropriate port open on my router i can’t see why. GRC’s shields up certainly sees 2101 as an open port when I turn on the ESP32.

Not my area of expertise either, but if your internet where the esp is has a static IP or you use something like dynamic DNS and have the right ports open and forwarded on your router it should aim at the wifi caster from the outside your network world. I tried the rtk2go and that was simple to set up as well

2 Likes

I’ll probably use RTK2go. I have a reserved mount point there anyway. It was just a thought. My ip address is static.

Does anyone have experience with the f9p and using Snip with the rtcm3 conversion software to include the streams needed for Trimble Rovers? Do you need a computer in the process? I really like the idea of the wifi master straight to my WiFi from the f9p so I don’t need a computer running in the middle of that process but I have Trimble Rovers now

Here is one solution. :slightly_smiling_face:
kuva

3 Likes

I think Snip can create the 1008 message that trimble rovers seem to need. Snip needs to run on some kind of Linux SBC, though. But snip isn’t really needed here, since the code Alan is referring to is an NTRIP server already (if I’m not mistaken), which can push the data to an NTRIP caster, such as rtk2go.com.

Trimble needs a message that the F9P does not generate, but I bet the code Alan is referring to can be modified to add a blank 1008 message every so often.

1 Like

Screenshot of some of the setup page.

Screenshot_20200210_190321

Until I get an RTK2B hooked up to it I’m not sure what it is capable of. I’ve not looked at the source code yet either to see if I can work anything out from that. The setup page seems to point to what you are saying.

As an aside, the 3v3 line on the XBee socket can supply 750ma so that option would be fine.

1 Like

Code looks very good, and pretty clean and documented.

There’s already a function called uart_inject() which could be used to add a 1008 message for trimble. Would need a simple RTCM parser though, enough to identify a complete packet so that the inject packets don’t end up in the middle of an existing message.

2 Likes

I’ve had a look at it and it’s a bit above me at the moment unfortunately. I need to brush up on my coding. :confused:

As of yet I don’t have a working ESP32 cross-compiler, at least outside of my arduino environment.

Today’s job!

3 Likes

I’m now wondering if birds will be an issue, perching on my antenna, blocking satellites? I’m guessing a thin plastic dome would be fairly radio transparent?

Alan’s antenna in 2 months (joke).
Sorry i couldn’t help myselfimage

5 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

That is EXACTLY what I’m concerned about!!

Apparently we have some domed plastic food covers somewhere so that should stop them!!

1 Like

I think you could reduce groundplate, at least you would not get so big nests :slightly_smiling_face:
UBLOX delivers a cirkular plate of D 100 mm thickness 1 mm with their CO99-F9P sets with ANN-MB-00 active antenna.
And I have not been able to find dokumentation that shows better performance with bigger groundplate than 100 to 120 mm (some circular some square) You might get more gain but then also other unwanted disturbances.

Some of the info is on page 16 and 17 here: https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/products/documents/GNSS-Antennas_AppNote_(UBX-15030289).pdf

Thank you. My ground plane is bolted on so size adjustment is easy. I’m still learning about caster software at the moment so how well it works is a bit of a mystery!! Too wet to go out in the field!!

I’m trying out RpiNtripBase at the moment. Extremely easy to connect up but I’m not 100% ive got things correct yet.