ESP32 as an NTRIP server / caster

I posted this as a reply to another thread but thought it might be worth having it’s own topic.

Looking at the WiFi NTRIP Master and the fact it is basically AFAICS just an ESP32. I’m wondering if it would it be possible to just connect an ESP32 to the xbee socket (to the appropriate pins obviously, nicely marked on the ntrip master) and use the software off ardusimple’s github? I’ve got loads of ESP32’s lying around.

To install a firmware update you use espressif’s flash tool software anyway.

It would be at the very least an order of magnitude cheaper… :thinking:

…but not if it bricked the simpleRTK2B. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Runs as expected…

IMG_7216 IMG_7217 IMG_7218

4 Likes

I m playing with tensorflow for now , but i was thinking about it for next project … but you did it ! Very nice !

2 Likes

…from the ESP32 XBee github:

‘Although it is primarly intended for the WiFi NTRIP Master, this software can run on any ESP32 with minimal modifications to the GPIO configuration.’

It looks like it should be fine. Just wondering which connections I actually need.

1 Like

I didn’t look carefuly for now but i think uart is all you need from simplertk , and power …

Yes, I’ve just found a pinout explanation on the github and most of the xbee pins are not used. Three gpio’s are used for xbee status so might be handy to connect some LED’s.

More if I’m going to use the simplertk to write to the ESP.

I’ve looked into this possibility too. Had the ESP32 dev kit flashed and webpage. Got stuck a bit at the connection possibilities to those tiny xbee headers on the simpleRTK2B.

Just the tx, rx and power by the look, if you’re not using xbee to program the ESP32. No vcc, just gnd if you’re leaving the ESP32 powered separately.

ESP32’s are fairly greedy things. Quite a few flashing issues are down to the usb input not having enough juice.

3 Likes

How should ESP32 be powered when used with SimpleRTK2B?

From the USB port or the Vin should be fine but the Xbee does have 3v3 out so I might test a Dev board powering it from a 3v3 source to see what happens and what current it draws.

1 Like

It could be used a PC type power supply that is not so expensive, and provided a solid 5v / 2-3A or use POE … Not using the simpleRTK power supply for ESP is probably a good idea.

providing the Dev board doesn’t consume much more than a standalone ESP32 on the 3v3 line it would be no different than the ardusimple ESP Xbee board.

…just ordered another RTK2B to try this out on. :grimacing:

Hey thanks Alan
I took your idea and did the same thing as i had some esp32s sitting here. finally got it working once I hooked the wires up right. tx on xbee part of rtkboard to rx0 on esp32 then rx to tx0. and gnd to gnd .
Messages sent to www.rtk2go.com so I trust it will work.

1 Like

Great!! I’ve only got one RTK2B at the moment so can’t really test fully but it seems to work. Just been powering an ESP32 via the 3v3 pin and I think it’s fine. Pulling a max of 240ma when busy on the wifi. 50 to 80ma before wifi kicks in. Should be able to fully connect one so it can be powered and flashed via the Xbee connector.

…but maybe I’ll play it safe with a £200 board. :see_no_evil:

Look at the ardusimple’s FAQ ,I m sur that I have seen somewhere talking about how powerful is simpleRTK … I think 240 mA is ok .

Yes. ISTR 500ma but can’t remember where I saw it. That said, I could just supply 5v to the simpleRTK and 5v to the ESP32 dev board.

1 Like

I also got esp32 working with

C099-F9P application board

I prefer ardusimple boards but had this one for my base station from last year

1 Like

Would it be possible for the ESP32 to act as a caster directly or am I over simplifying things? By that I mean opening port 2101 on the router and then pointing a client at [ ip adress];2101 Mountpoint.