ESP32 as an NTRIP server / caster

OK, to prevent this or similar ( :joy: :see_no_evil:) would a very thin plastic food covering dome have any effect on signal? I’m thinking not but don’t know for certain.

1 Like

Hi, I have a question. As alan pointed out a few posts ago, is it possible to create a local ntrip caster that would provide corrections via esp32’s local hotspot? That is without using an internet service like rtk2go etc?

dont intend to reach the base through the internet. The rover would be recieving correcting connected to the esp32’s hotspot via the mountpoint created by esp32 locally.

The plan is to basically receive corrections via a uhf radio module, read them using esp32 and create a local ntrip caster using esp32 to publish those corrections via its hotspot so that other rovers on esp32’s hotspot would all get the same corrections.

Yes you can ntrip cast and tcp link , but you need static ip or DynamicDNS to reach your base from internet.

I dont intend to reach the base through the internet. The rover would be recieving correcting connected to the esp32’s hotspot via the mountpoint created by esp32 locally.

The plan is to basically receive corrections via a uhf radio module, read them using esp32 and create a local ntrip caster using esp32 to publish those corrections via its hotspot so that other rovers on esp32’s hotspot would all get the same corrections.

Hi
I just played around with the simpleRTK2B and an ESP32 Devkit V4.
I have managed to flash the ESP32 and got it connected to my wireless network.
But I can’t get it to work with sending the correction to RTK2go.com.

I have wired following connection from the simpleRTK2B to the EPS32 like this.
Xbee connector – ESP32 Connector
TX — > RX0
RX — > TX0
GND — > GND
3V3 — > 3V3

But I can’t see that is send anything to RTK2go.com and I don’t see any RXIMG_4475 IMG_4474 on the ESP32 homepage.
What did I do wrong? I used the standard Base configuration from Ardusimple and the firmware for the ESP32 from Firmware Update · nebkat/esp32-xbee Wiki · GitHub

@MF590 The Ardusimple board is badly marked. Connect ESP RX to Ardusimple RX. TX to TX but TX it isn’t actually needed.

Does the xbee socket run at 3v3? might need 3v3 to ioref too as the ESP won’t like 5v for long.

@Alan.Webb Thx for your suggestion.
I just tried with another ESP32 board and wolla it worked :smile:
I think that I have damaged the RX on the ESP32 while playing around :frowning:

I tried before RX to RX0 and still, it did not work.

Now New ESP32.
Xbee connector – ESP32 Connector
RX — > RX0
GND — > GND
3V3 — > 3V3
Ardusimple board
3v3_OUT to IOREF
thx for the help

1 Like

Probably the 5v from the ardusimple board. You could always use RX2 but possibly better a new one in case it’s got more damage inside.

1 Like

@Alan.Webb
Yes, I think that was the problem… They are cheap so I will throw it out :smile:
I’m glad that it’s not the ardusimple board :innocent:

1 Like

Yes, that worried me a bit when I first attached an ESP32 !!

Don’t throw it out, make something useful with it!!

1 Like

I dont intend to reach the base through the internet. The rover would be recieving correcting connected to the esp32’s hotspot via the mountpoint created by esp32 locally.

Multi-mode RTK for WIFI (without Internet) on ESPrtk (ESP32 RTK) has long been available.
I hope ESPrtk has enough capabilities for your needs.
All you need is an ESP32 to use as an ESPrtk-Base-Radio and n ESP32 to be an ESPrtk -Rover-Radio.
Rover number is +1000.
-Base sends RTCM / RAW to all Rover in real time. See more
-The rover can send back NMEA / GGA back to ESPrtk-Base and will output at Base’s TX_UART0 port. See more
You can use the software “ESPrtk Pro Tracking” to manage all Rover. You can download for free here:
https://esprtk.com/shop-esprtk-pro-tracking-lite
-Type of Radio can be configured as WIFI (2.4Ghz band) with a distance of over 2000m or LoRa (433 → 915 Mhz) over 3->50km.
On ESPRTK (Radio) Base and Rover also support all features such as saving RTCM / NMEA to SD card, Export IMU data, RTCM injection, … similar to NTIRP / MQTT. The only thing is that there is no Internet involved in RTCM / NMEA data transmission.
ESPrtk 3.xx also supports RTK Repeater, whereby you can retrieve RTCM data from Caster NTRIP / MQTT and send it directly to Rover via Radio without Internet to increase the RTK coverage by a few more Km when the Internet in that area is not available or deploying an Internet connection for the entire Rover is too costly !

2 Likes

hello, are you able to draw a connections and parts used to make things work. Thanks in advance.

Hello there, i have managed to power up a ardusimple board and esp32 board. But something is wrong here. it seema that they are not talking to each other. Any ideas?
received_382832279580315
received_708754256407964

i think it depends on your base configuration for f9p. I am using andreas configuration, which has baud rate at 38400.
I am experiencing a strange behaviour: i can get my base working if i use SNIP caster, i can receive RTCM messages from RTK2go.
if i am using esp32 ntrip i can not see any RTCM messages coming from my f9p.
anyone knows the reason?

Ad you can see I get rtcm messages from my f9p but only if I am using snip caster.
Could you please explain why?

Asking directly to ardusimple i have solved my problem.
Under UBX-CFG-MSG i have enabled UART2 for all the RTCM messages i need.

PXL_20201226_023524580~2 I have bought a couple esp32 to try and make Base stations, however they have me baffled. I read through where I am supposed to install a register file then some firmware through the esp flash program but I can’t get any response from them, just don’t know what I am doing wrong. I have an xbee and have flashed firmware and logged onto it via the WiFi but these esp32 just don’t want to behave. Esprtk keeps referring to a web interface to work on them but I don’t understand where that happens? I did finally get a serial reader to look at them after I installed the register and this is what it says. Any help would be great

I used ESPRTK on my setup, think i made a thread about it on here…

Works very well, havent touched it in over a year now, only problems I ran into were power supply issues at the start, I made a dedicated power supply circuit and havent had a problem since.

You have to hold a pin to ground / power (I forget now) to put it into configure (web interface) mode…then it creates a hostpot and you can do all the config via its web gui)

2 Likes

Has anyone seen the SuperB by Macchina?

Looks like an Esp32 with XBee footprint, much like arduSimple’s Wifi ntrip master. Price isn’t bad compared to arduSimple even though shipping is high at all the online stores I found.

Are there any other Esp32 with XBee footprint?

Something like the Wemos D1 esp32 in the Uno footprint should work too with the simpleRTK2b?

1 Like