External Light Bar

Do you think it’s possible to make a code for the M5Stick_C? Would love it. Lot easier than working with a arduino and a com port or udp.

I think so, or I don’t understand something.
I guess that’s what the code says.
Communication should be via bluetooth.

Yeah sure it would work. But the code is for the old version not for the V5. Maybe @minolu-JP will write a code for it. Would be very cool, because its a very nice feature for spreading and spraying.

1 Like

I will adapt the code I use (M5 Atom Lite/M5stickC) for V5 when possible (this code was based on minolu-JP’s work).
Yes, bluetooth is required, USB is only suitable for a small testing

I made it in a hurry, please give me a review

External Light Bar for #AgOpenGPS v5.1.3
on #M5StickC https://t.co/U8WIiQP7eV pic.twitter.com/6MzwE6sCYG

— mnl_t (@mnlt18) April 27, 2021
4 Likes

Everything ok, seems to work fine, thanks a lot.

Have done something similar just for esp32 and UDP (v5.1.4.)

1 Like

Hello forum,
I have 5.2.1 on my PC, to test an external light bar driver I recently designed. I am not familiar with the AgOpenGPS other than having read the manual. In order to test the board I would like to use 5.2.1 in simulation mode (no real GPS, IMU, machine, just the light bar driver acting as Autosteer, connected to the PC via USB/serial).
My question: how can I setup AgOpenGPS simulation so that PGN messages 254 etc. are sent to the driver board?
Thanks a lot for your help,
-e
edit: for clarity

You would maybe have to send them to the autosteer arduino, make custom code, and then maybe connect your external bar to that?

Thanks Brian,
since the lightbar is supposed to replace a mechanical autosteer function, the idea was to have the lightbar driver board replace but “imitate” the autosteer (arduino). But, there are no transmissions at all coming from AOG. Could it be due to a missing simulator setup by me?
I understand your suggestion, but that would mean re-fabbing the driver board as a slave to the autosteer.
Otherwise, how about having a further com/USB channel exclusively dedicated to a lightbar function?
edit: syntax

AgIO sends to the autosteer, not AOG

yes. Meanwhile I set up the simulator properly (Thanks to help from Wilbert) and the PGN 254 are now coming in. I now have the choice between displaying a measure of 1) steering angle and 2) line distance.
Another question: on my laptop (Win7/64) AgOpenGPS.exe won’t run while I am admin. I have to switch to a regular user for that. Is that normal?
Thanks

1 Like

You would think it would not run in normal?? Windows never ceases to amaze me - not in a good way

Good you got the udp figured out. Yes, you have the full pgn so you have speed as well as sections etc

Hi Brian, is it still true that in the Byte 10 for the Distance is used in the master version on GIT? See in the file ‘PGN 5.1.xlsx’, Byte 10 is not defined and in the AutoSteer ino it says: “//Bit 10 Tram”. Thx!

It is bit 10 for sure, It was formerly the tram. I’ll have to change the docs

I wonder if anyone could assist me. I am using an arduino nano and WS2812B string. All works fine but then lEDs get stuck all on - the arduino seems to freeze. I thought this might be a power issue so am using a 5v supply. I also have experimented using different number of led - from 19 to 59 but no difference. I am using the latest @woody_matt Aog 5.5 and ino files.

@Oliverp44 Are you using USB or UDP? I have got the USB version with 31 LEDs running with the simulator on my bench now - an hour in and no issues.
Is there a particular scenario when the system seems to freeze? e.g. during a u turn when the LEDs are changing a lot? After a set amount of time?

*Edit:
I have now got to the point where it has frozen. Ag diag is still showing the correct values being sent, so I am investigating whether the serial buffer is overflowing.

Using usb. I cannot seem to pinpoint when it occurs but seems to be when all green led lit. When in the field I did keep losing my gps (ardusimple) which I did not before so assumed power. Now I am using external power that has not happened again.

Just seen the frozen message - that is exactly as I experience

The Serial buffer was eventually filling up and the new messages were just being discarded. I have hopefully sorted it - please may you give this .ino a try and let me know how you get on? AutosteerPCBv2LB/Autosteer_USB_v5_0.ino at AOG-5.5_bugfix · MattWoodhead/AutosteerPCBv2LB · GitHub

thank you - After a short while it now again seems to freeze but only with the centre LED lit. the ag diag still shows correct messages. The timescale for the freeze has not changed and might be as short as 1 minute, rarely much longer.