Freewheel mod w step up converter wiring question

If I am building a harness with a step up converter for the Phidgets motor with a freewheel mod, do I need a 24v relay on the motor side? If so, I noticed they are 5 pin and wonder how to wire up.

My other question is, is it possible to run the Phidgets 24v on 12v power and skip the step up? Then just run two 12v relays?

Thanks, the wiring part of this whole thing confuses the heck out of me.

If you are using the freewheel mod where you modify the cytron no relay is needed.
Yes. You can run it on 12 volts but I won’t be as powerful and supposedly won’t do you turns.
I run mine with a converter

I purchased one of guy1000’s boards and he is modding the Cytron. So no relays needed at all? Even between battery and converter?

Yes. No relay is required then.

The relay between the battery and the board is a different thing but it isn’t needed unless you are using the tractor ignition or some tiny switch to turn your system on. I just use a standard toggle switch there and no relays at all. How I did mine:

1 Like

Question on this again, if I’m running the freewheel mod and the cytron power goes into pin 18, where does the 24v power out go to? Or does the 24v output go right from the step up into pin 18?

The output of the 24 volt converter goes to pin 18.

Ok thanks. The other question I have is on the Phidgets motor wiring. If not using a relay do I need to run ground wire as it shows in the diagram below or just wires to pins 5 and 6 from the motor?

https://github.com/AgHardware/Boards/wiki/AIO-Board-Pinout

Just the wires to pins 5 and 6. The ground is only for the relay so you don’t need it.

1 Like

Another question for you regarding the auto steer on/off switch wiring. Did a test today and got everything to work on the simulator except the auto steer switch didn’t work for turning it on/off, LED ring light was on the entire time. This is the switch I ordered, I put the left post and “no” together going to steer pin(8), and right side pin to the WAS ground wire:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806208477175.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.5.4addFBLWFBLWae&algo_pvid=d155923c-f1a7-468f-85de-aee6be2269dc&algo_exp_id=d155923c-f1a7-468f-85de-aee6be2269dc-2&pdp_npi=4%40dis!USD!2.35!2.35!!!2.35!2.35!%402103011117136533488963573edda8!12000037023663882!sea!US!3029003434!&curPageLogUid=N2DpocWh23mz&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch|query_from%3A

I had the settings on “button” and “remote” in the system.

Did I wire that incorrectly? Needing some help. Thanks!

That’s not a momentary button?
it’s a latching switch
Change to switch in settings.

I used what I believe to be the same switch as you. If the wire colors are the same the green and white are the switched wires that would go to the steer pin and ground. That’s all you need to turn the steering on and off

The led is a totally separate circuit that lights when you apply power and ground to the red and black wires. I wired mine so it was lit whenever the board was powered but you can wire that however you want.

So red and green to steer pin and black/white to WAS ground wire? I’m a complete novice so need it spelled out at times. Thanks! So switch or button in settings?

Here’s how it’s wired now, red/green to steer pin and black to WAS ground wire:

What are you trying to get the light to do?

Turn on and off with the auto steer but honestly the big issue is just turning the auto steer on and off to begin with.

I’ve already got green and red to steer pin, is all I have to do is add the white to the WAS ground wire with the black?

Green to steer pin, white to ground will get you up and running.

Actually getting the led to turn of and on with autosteer is more complicated because you would need a source of power that turned on and off with autosteer.

Red can’t be on the steer pin or you will have the led in parallel with the switch.

The easiest thing would be to put the red on your main power to the board and then it would tell you if the system is powered up.

Ok. Black still goes to WAS ground wire in that scenario?

Yes. Or any ground

It looks like that link has the option to buy either latching or momentary.
If it is momentary(probably is if the button feels the same each time you press it) then select button.
If it would happen to be latching(usually feels like it clicks in and holds on one push and clicks out with the next) then set to switch