Front to BAck Dual Antenna

In what pattern are the 3 antenna on the autofarm?
I know there L-R roof bar type,they claim not to need wheel angle sensor!

The larger of the two close together antennae is the main position. Interesting that the roll antenna is not exactly beside the main antenna but at a slight angle. The same roll antenna could also do heading so they must be using the 3rd one for tilt? Doesnā€™t seem very useful when pulling an implement and itā€™s not even used for a 3 point mount scraper when in their leveling mode. 5001

You wouldnā€™t think thereā€™d be any useful info from those antenna being that close together.

What is about one antenna in the front and the back one on the implement?

1 Like

New version of dual heading software for ESP32:
Webinterface, additional checks before heading/roll calculationā€¦

Runs out of the Arduino IDE with ESP32 board/library.

3 Likes

With the talk of dual antenna, itā€™s my understanding that one is considered a moving base and then the other gets the location and heading and possibly pitch or roll. How accurate is the actual position? Could this be used to steer the tractor without a actual base station, therefore no need for ntrip, cellular or radio connection? If so would solve alot of problems in hilly, trees or area without cell coverage.

Without a correction signal like RTK, your absolute position will be less accurate. With a dual antenna setup, the term ā€œmoving baseā€ is miss leading. Itā€™s just calculating the difference between the two antenna mounted on the tractor. Itā€™s my understanding that because they both experience the same atmospheric inaccuracies, the calculated heading is quite accurate. You can operate a dual antenna system without rtk but your absolute position accuracy is the same as a single antenna system without rtk.

2 Likes

With that being said, can the dual antenna do a rtk absolute position as well as a heading or would I need a third gps for determining absolute position and then let the other 2 do heading

I believe one of the two antennae is your main position antenna and it can use rtkt corrections to resolve an absolute position. The 2nd antenna is compared to the 1st to calculate tilt or roll and/or heading.

Yes, two moving antennas deliver only exact heading and roll. For absolute position you need a fixed antenna and contact (lora, GSMā€¦)to the moving antenna. The dissolution of the absolute position would be around 1m using WAS like EGNOS you may get 50cm. It depends on your needs: for harrowing ok, for seeding 3m never.
If you only want to buy 2 receivers, use one as fixed station for RTK and the other on the tractor. For the data transfer Iā€™m out, we have LTE at every field (but houses, gardens, dogs, cars at every field)

@MTZ8302
Am I right?
The connection between the esp32 and the two f9p should look like this.
If we look at the headers at Ardusimple.

ESP32 RX1 - 27    to    1. simpleRTK - TX2
ESP32 TX1 - 16    to    1. simpleRTK - RX2

ESP32 RX2 - 25    to    2. simpleRTK - TX1
ESP32 TX2 - 17    to    2. simpleRTK - RX1

Thatā€™s is in the code right now?
I also saw that there was a possibility to use other GPIO pin on ESP32 if we wanted.

Thank you

Yes, these are the pins I use. As I changed it serveral times, there might be better/easier to reach pins to do so.
Additionally you must connect tx2 to rx2 from one Ardusimple (F9P) to the other to pass the NTRIP data. One bridge will do.
There is a PDF with some pictures.

thank you for your work.
if I understood correctly this is it:

2-ardusimple

• tx2 to rx2 for Ntrip itā€™s OK?
1 Like

Yes, seems ok. I use esp32 with it. I tryed Arduino but got trouble with horse power, due it has only 1 uart. So you need softserial, and I think some bits get lost, as it canā€™t check it fast enough. Maybe the Mega will work, as it has more real uarts. But before soldering check, if the pins are available on the board. With esp donā€™t use gpio 12, it wouldnā€™t boot anymore.

My ESP:

I like this board, its power supply has 2A at 5V and 1A at 3.3V. I checked it and it is enough for both ardusimple boards with antenna
So simply use 12v with it - done.

1 Like

Hi @BrianTee_Admin , @MTZ8302,

your progress is ā€˜headingā€™ me this way: easy to upgrade would be to build a dual antenna roof bar with just a power socket and further wireless, as designed by Matthias. The antenna already mounted on the nose could then stay and still be of use for Stanley algorithm? For those using USB/Bluetooth, could an additional ā€˜dual antenna GPS portā€™ be made next to the normal GPS port? For UDP this would be more easy I suppose, however itā€™s not my terrain.

If no hardware adjustments need to be done to the existing setup, the roof bar could even be mobile for use on different tractors that are already equiped with a normal antenna and receiver. Reducing cost of receivers. Adding perfect heading, roll to the job when it is needed.
The user could make a second vehicle in the software to store the setup differences for that tractor.

Looking to run this setup myself, with an ESP32 and pair of F9P Ardusimple boards, Is there currently an official way of connected GPS via UDP on AOG? Have got the PCB (Autosteer) successfully connected over UDP, and makes way more sense in my setup to try and use UDP for everything if i can and do away with the USB connectionsā€¦

Couldnā€™t see anywhere obvious in software at this point to enable connection for GPS on UDP rather than in the serial page.

Itā€™s working. Simply send the NMEA as it is to port 9999 via UDP.

And if you want to use AOG ntrip client, thats also possible.
Just copy the received data to the f9p.
-esp32-aog/gpsRtcm.cpp at master Ā· doppelgrau/esp32-aog Ā· GitHub
Line 79 (start handler) and 87 to 102 the handling of these udp packets.

If I understand your suggestion would be to have a GPS unit consisting of 2 parts: standard precision and together RTK+dual GPS.

My solution to this:
Build a all in one box:

• GSM - WiFi router to get NTRIP e.g RUT955
  • ESP32 e.g EspDuino
  • 2x F9P e.g Ardusimple
    With connectors: power, 2xGPS antenna, GSM antenna

you can use this box
-with preinstalled antenna + magnet antenna on rear
or
-stand alone with one antenna (at any tractor) so RTK, but no IMU

To use the preinstalled antenna buy an additional M8T for cheep. So DGPS for harrowing or section control and 2. RTK system for other tractor at the same time.

PS at the moment I adopt the esp software to work with one or two antennas

Hello @MTZ8302
The box with the router in it is a good idea!

Makes me think: what would be needed extra to collect NTRIP in the box itself? Could a Wifi NTRIP Master be plugged into one of the simpleRTK2B Xbee headers? Would it work like that?

Even better possibly, could the NTRIP Master code be added to the same ESP32? So have it do the dual GPS calculations + ntrip collection and sending to the simpleRTKā€™s instead of pulling it from AgopenGPS first. Itā€™s a powerful little thing and I would imagine soā€¦ or is this too simple?