General Purpose Autonomous Rover

Ok, I see what you’re saying.

Tried resetting to defaults and it ran fine on the sim. Left it at the defaults and took it out for a test on a football field; just wanted it to follow an AB line, perform a single uturn and return, but it was all over the place going left / right and then driving in circles. Possibly GPS accuracy, possibly AOG settings. I’ll give it another couple of field tests and see if I can get it working reliably. If not, then perhaps full strength AOG just won’t work for such a small vehicle.

Fingers crossed!!

But defaults can´t drive a vehicle, settings must be done according to your steering setup.
Did you do the settings as in Brians video, mentioned to you 24 days ago in the other thread: Getting started with PCB hardware for beginners ?

@Larsvest is correct. Default only works in the simulator. But when you get into the field on a small tool and running slow, NTRIP is very important. The GPS will be all over the place.

I did calibrate the WAS, but didn’t do much more.

Ok, my bad, I’ll bone-up again, adjust and retest.

Ya, depending on the machine and setup, it can be a bit of struggle, but change things one at a time, see the effect, learn what the settings do, adjust etc.

Right, so one variable at a time. I’ll do some tests this weekend and post how it goes.

As always, thanks for your time guys.

1 Like

Evening (relatively speaking), Gents

After a lot of fiddling, I can see what the main problem is: section / tool width. The minimum values that I can get reliable performance from seems to be one section with 300cm width; if I drop down to (say) 200cm, then u-turns start to act strangely.

I’ve dropped the wheelbase down to 85cm, turn radius to 200cm, tow length to 50cm and tailing hitch length to 20cm, and it runs pretty sweet in the sim with a single 300cm section, but my problem now is that no tool I use with be that large. Will keep fiddling to see if I can find a workaround, but I might also slap an Emlid Reach 2 on the vehicle and see if that helps.

As discussed here it turns better to left. ( at the end of keyhole it is also right when the whole turn is started with left arrow).

It can do 0,85 m section/implement when you choose 1 skip, keyhole turn and your trator settings but also max steer angle at 70 degree(or it cant follow keyhole).Of course you would have to do the field twice then to get it all done.

That’s really interesting and useful, thanks Lars. I will test this all out later this evening and see if it helps.

Did find one problem with this setup: tractor stops U-turn in sim if angle between AB line and boarder is not close to 90 degree. It shows the u-turn but stops when close to the keyhole pattern.

@bluerabbit, we found that the uturn steps can be shorter and it works really well. You can crash it but it works much better. Read through that post, It will tell you what to change.

That is where I where I got stuck. Have never programmed anything before arduino a year ago, so what program xxx to open and which file yyy to change?

Exactly, last May I thought C# was a music note. I’ve learned some since then. I’ll isolate what I did and post it here. Maybe tonight or so.

Am I going in the right direction with downloading Visual studio community, and then choosing NET desktop development?

Yes, I’ve found that to work for what I do. I un-check live share, just in time debugger, and a couple more on the options.

1 Like

I have been testing for about 4 hours with the vehicle set up to match my own (85cm wheelbase, 270cm U-turn (i’m going to have to work on that), 45 degree max steering angle, etc and everything works well until I drop the tool width to under ~180cm, then it just stops being reliable.

3m runs sweet, 2m drifts a little after the apex of the turn, 150cm runs out of the field.

As was said in the “Possible sharp turn fix” thread, AOG isn’t designed for small vehicles so none of this surprises me, but… gah! So near and yet…

I’ll re-read the short term fix thread a couple of times as some parts of that discussion threw me.

Make sure you follow Brian’s information on that thread. The possible fix is not a fix but a patch. Brian’s extra points in micro scale is the fix.

Yes you are. Dot net is all you need

Here is the GitHub that includes the you-turn changes for the micro. The points are set at a spacing of just a few centimeters. (Not good for big equipment.) I was able to run a 60 cm tool with some success. I think my radius was 80 or 100. Wheel base about 120 or so. Just kept playing with the other settings. I also modified the min and max settings in some of the forms to give some more options. It is by no means perfect but it is a start. The modifications are just for ABLine and AutoYouTurn. @bluerabbit Make small changes and test. @Larsvest You will need to load and compile it in Visual Studio.

This is based on Brian’s not ready version 4. Downloaded today 01-12-20.

@BrianTee_Admin All I really did was modify how often the youturn and dubins get made. By the way, I really like the night mode. I tried running the day mode and it randomly jumped back to night when I clicked some of the tool bars. I had made several changes by the time I was getting this problem. It may have been something I changed.

https://github.com/KentStuff/Micropengps

Depending on the time of day, and if you have auto day/night mode on, it will change to the mode based on sunrise sunset based on your gps position. I know, crazy!!