Getting started with PCB hardware for beginners

Pcb’s ordered on Monday night have turned up this morning. Friday.

Staggering service IMHO. Very good quality product at first sight. image

IMG_6838

5 pcb’s from JLCPCB.com £7.01
Shipping £15.09
Discount -£6.24
Total £15.87

Components roughly £33. includes MMA, nano copy, and ADS. I fitted no relay and use an IBT2 remotely. Not included. Probably could get it cheaper from abroad. All mine UK stock from ebay.

Screw connectors would probably add cost. I used pins as I am personally not a fan of screw connectors on PCB’s. At least, not on ones in ‘agricultural’ conditions.

6 Likes

My boards turned up today from China. Same deal as you. Lightening fast. So I appreciate the picture it will come in useful on the build. Making a small mock up first to see what happens. Currently Namo is screwing around. Will not upload.Not sure why.It will upload on an Uno.

Regarding the components, It appears you can combine the postage of PCB’s from JLCPCB with components from their sister company LCSC.com

Check your bootloader version. try the older version. Sometimes copy nano’s don’t like the new one.

I will do that but I am trying a copy and an original both have problem but different

Just a quick one I am going to start with the cut down setup that occurs in one of the diagrams what does the autosteer switch and work switched do and should they be momentary or toggle. Sorry to be so basic

yes that worked…thanks on we go hurdle solution hurdle solution

1 Like

If you are using the ‘Fritzing’ diagram in the wiki, be warned the pins used on the arduino do not match the newer code for the pcb. It’s easy enough to change the pins in the code (just below the setup zone) but it won’t work ‘out of the box’ so to speak. That one caught me out.

Steer switch is for motor operated steerng and is a toggle (tuned on and off by moving the motor on and off the steering wheel) . Steer button is for hydraulic valve type systems and is momentary I think. Others might correct me on this. One or the other needs selecting in the Arduino code ‘setup zone’.

useful
thanks

I have just purchased the IBT-2 (BTS7960) to use with the PCB2 arduino code. The Cytron Mower driver is still on back order. I want to get a test setup working so I can fully understand the code. As there is a mis match between the fritz diagram and the arduino code, I would appreciate if some one could paste as screen shot the arduino code for the correct pin def’s of each pin or modify the fritz diagram so I can understand the Autosteer switch connections.
regards
Max

1 Like

You can combine the Schematic.png with the text (just under setup zone) in the AutosteerPCBv2 ino you get the connection for IBT-2
The files is in the downloaded folder Agopengpsmaster>arduino code

Depending on the use of a arduino pin it can have a little different name (D6 =PD6) the pinout is in the link below.
http://www.arduinotutorialonline.com/2018/01/how-to-connect-i2c-lcd-display-to_12.html

//##########################################################################################################
//### End of Setup Zone ####################################################################################
//##########################################################################################################

//////////////////// *********** Motor drive connections **************888
//Connect ground only for cytron, Connect Ground and +5v for IBT2

//Dir1 for Cytron Dir, Both L and R enable for IBT2
#define DIR1_RL_ENABLE 4 //PD4

//PWM1 for Cytron PWM, Left PWM for IBT2
#define PWM1_LPWM 3 //PD3

//Not Connected for Cytron, Right PWM for IBT2
#define PWM2_RPWM 9 //D9

//--------------------------- Switch Input Pins ------------------------
#define STEERSW_PIN 6 //PD6
#define WORKSW_PIN 7 //PD7
#define REMOTE_PIN 8 //PB0

// -------------------------- Arduino A/D Input Pins ------------------
#define WAS_Ard_A0 A0 //PC0 Wheel Angle Sensor
#define Dogs2_Roll A1 //PC1 DOGS2 Inclinometer

//ethercard 10,11,12,13

1 Like

got my simple set up working with the new code
Got gps and brick input
got WAS input via a rotary potentiometer just for testing
steering motor is working however I am not really sure if the sense is correct
got the autoswitch working. Is there a significance to the number changing from 5 to 7 on the from autosteer window ???
Also what is JRK on the Communications tab
regards
Max

you could use a pololujrkg2 controller direct at the usb port.

so no arduino needed. - but you lose all other arduino functions with this…

I have started to build my PCB
I am using the very good picture posted by Alan Webb to help with placing of the parts.
Here is his picture and my board so far.

Before I complete the soldering I have a few questions

IC2 and IC3 which way round should this be mounted. Side the long side with the pins be towards the 3 large capacitors or towards the large diode.

R8 is that correct is 0 ohms ie a piece of wire.On Allans board I do see a resister and not a piece of wire A resister was not included in my digikey bag of parts that was generated by dropping the excel file into the BOM

The small led I assume the positive side is towards the resister and the negative side is on the left. Is this correct

If you guys have fully finished board pictures with all the switched fitted etc it would be really useful

Max

1 Like

forgot to post the picture
IMG_3053

1 Like

Led often have a flat side for negative (also biggest part inside led) should be towards motor driver, so yes you ar correct. No harm done if mounted wrong, just dont light up.
R8 is ok with wire.
There is a small white dot indicating pin one, guess your 7805 ic also have a mark for pin one, and should fit long side with pins towards caps.

R8 is actually just a wire on mine. The outline of a resistor on the pcb might be fooling you.

I might desolder my led and position it on the box I put the whole thing in.

Can anyone explain why the IBT-2 needs 2 PWM and 1 Dir pins. Basically we are only using one channel (to one motor). The PWM determines the speed and the DIR the direction. What is the other PWM for

IBT uses one pwm for each direction and 1 enable that is connected to both L and R enable. DIR1 is left and right enable for IBT.

from the arduino code :-

//Dir1 for Cytron Dir, Both L and R enable for IBT2

why are there 2 relays in the build list of parts?

CB1AF-12V Panasonic Electric Works 255-2172-ND 1 $7.29 $7.29 RELAY AUTOMOTIVE SPST 40A 12V
CB1-P-12V Panasonic Electric Works 255-1832-ND 2 $7.80 $15.60 RELAY AUTOMOTIVE SPDT 40A 12V