Grade control

Run two tablets and two programs! If some is good, more is better.

First field now mapped and a preliminary design in place, calculated earthworks around 150 m3/ha

Starting point:

Ponding in starting point:

Design topography, played around with the smoothing and the S1 area is an open ditch running through the field:

Cut/fill:

Limited the cut to 10 cm on the big area and to 15 cm on the small subarea on the left.

Also import to OG3D looks good:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I was thinking of. If it works with one antenna, so much the better. Great project. I know I have some fields I could use it on.

Here we go! @Pat now I understand why you want bigger buttons for the blade offset :rofl:

3 Likes

There appears to be a small bug: if you select the wrong COM port for machine control, it never times out but the whole thing seizes. After several re-installs, got it figured out by removing the files from the AppData folder.

The tractor spool valve if quite high flow, so my gain is one (1) at the moment, follows line quite nicely, though. Just some hunting when driving over some rough ground, could maybe put a scaling factor into the ino. Dead easy to use with the spool valve lever, put it to float and itā€™s in auto and then you can use it manually to override and just drop back to float to continue in auto mode.

3h

There appears to be a small bug: if you select the wrong COM

Apparently not the first (or last) time it happens.

The issue was even discussed years ago on combine forum.
Ver 4.3.10 still has the same bug :slight_smile: It happened again for me a week ago, because I forgot to disconnect all usb ports in AOG before I changed my USB- hub in tractor.
Probably one of the reasons for UDP.

1 Like

Some notes from 16 ha of leveling, did the first pass with quite high blade offset as there were some bigger highs and lows from old open ditches that have never been properly levelled. Spent quite some time going in circles to get those 10-20 cm fills done. Second run with close to zero offset.

Spent maybe 12 hours total on the 16 hectares, not perfect but water should be exiting the field now properly without ponding. My idea is to redo the field after the soil has settled for a year, itā€™s very soft sandy soil. Ploughing is way better than chisel plough, cultivator etc. as the residue is buried deep down. Like said, needs to be dry so as not to make a big mess.

The blade I bought last year is working really well, I guess the Italians have built those beforešŸ‘Œ Looks like this, letā€™s see how she holds up to the task. The blade curvature is right to make the soil roll and quite low power needed to pull a full blade. If you try to cut too much, the blade lifts the wheels off the ground, there could be some kind of sensing on the wheels being on the ground? The gooseneck really helps as you can fill the blade up to the neck and move large amounts of soil. The tractor is stock T144 so around 170 hp, quite a good match to the 4 m blade. Heavy tractor and duals means no traction problems.

Drilling the field (with autosteer of course!) two days later. After levelling I just ran through once with a VƤderstad NZ tine harrow set to about 6-7 cm depth, but like said the soil is quite light.

8 Likes

What was your setup for ntrip corrections?

Currently my setup is:
Ardusimple at base sending to rtk2go at 1hz and an ardusimple with Ntrip trough OpenGrade3D, with my phone as access point.

The fields I made so far where about 5km away and over time the vertical height was moving Ā± 4cm in heavy cloudy conditions, much better in stable sunny weather (Ā±1 or 2 cm over the day).
Sometimes with a heavy cloud the blade was moving a couple of cm within seconds, then stable for several minutes.
Thatā€™s my feeling, maybe the atmospheric conditions have nothing to do with the precision.

I will built a setup with a base in the field. Maybe radio link or to rtk2go if I manage to connect it to Internet.

I think I remember reading potatofarmer say going to10hz will improve vertical accuracy ???

You need to adjust the zero on the go in any case, the RTK drifts by a few cm, more so in rain and clouds like @Pat said. Also the type of soil affects how the blade cuts into the soil, I noticed needing to have 1-3 cm more offset in very light soil compared to say heavy clay.

Iā€™m not good at English, so itā€™s a sentence from a translation site.
I downloaded and ran AOG Survey, but there is no response.
The PC is CF-19, the OS is Win10, and the security software is Norton.
The latest version of AOG is installed on your PC.
If you have any problems, please let us know.

1 Like

Hi, you can take a look at this software, if it can replace optisurface and ezigrade in opengrade 3d, it does not accept metric measures, thank you. Land Leveling Design using Engineering Field Tools - YouTube
Screenshot (4)

3 Likes

You can download the software here, thank you, Emanuele EFT 4.0.6 Science and Technology Conservation Tools Software | NRCS (usda.gov)

3 Likes

Thank you for the introduction
However, is this software free software?
I checked the site, but couldnā€™t find it or didnā€™t specify it?

Terms and Conditions for Use of Engineering Field Tools (EFT).

The United States Government, Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) grants to the user the rights to install Engineering Field Tools (EFT) ā€œthe Softwareā€ (from any source) and to use, copy and/or distribute copies of the Software to other users, subject to the following Terms and Conditions of Use:

User may reproduce and distribute the Software provided that the recipient agrees to the Terms and Conditions for Use noted herein.

The Software may not be modified, abridged, decompiled, disassembled, unobfuscated or reverse engineered. The user is solely responsible for the content, interactions, and effects of any and all amendments, if present, whether they be extension modules, language resource bundles, scripts or any other amendment.

The name Engineering Field Tools or EFT must not be used to endorse or promote products derived from the Software. Products derived from the Software may not be called Engineering Field Tools nor EFT nor may any part of the Engineering Field Tools nor EFT name appear within the name of derived products.

No part of this Terms and Conditions for Use may be modified, deleted or obliterated from the Software.

The Software is distributed free of charge, and carries no implied or explicit warranties and is considered PUBLIC DOMAIN. Any liability through use or misuse or of the software rests solely with the user. The user assumes all responsibility for the accuracy and suitability of this program for a specific application.

By using this program you voluntarily accept these terms and conditions. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions, uninstall the program and destroy all program materials to EFT (If you downloaded the program and do not have disk media, please delete all copies, and cease using the program). No support for this program is available to the public. Self Service Training is available at http://eft.nrcs.usda.gov under Self Paced Training.

Thank you very much.
I seem to have overlooked this page

1 Like

Have you got any personal experience with this one?

Hi, unfortunately I could not use it because it uses only imperial measures, I tried to convert the.agd files that are in this forum to UTM but with poor results, there are various programs that convert lat. and long, in UTM, but then the elevation stays in meters, I am optimistic because it seems to me done well, I hope that we find a way together.

If you download open grade v3.0 from Github/BrianT, will the ā€œAboutā€ state it is v.1.3?

What I need to do is make a survey and have my cut line 9 feet down. My antenna is on the excavator boom and Iā€™m installing a pitless adapter and water line.

Version 1.3 was giving me a problem.

Would I be best off downloading open grade 3D v 1.0.5 October 2020. Pat-I/Opengrade

1 Like