How to get started

I am new to AgOpen. I am interested in starting down the AgOpenGPS line

We currently use Trimble products.
FMX/FM1000 w/ RTK, Trueguide (passive implement steering), Rate and Section Control
FM 750 w/RTK
EZ-Guide 500 w/Waas
Currently most tractors have hydraulic steering, combines have EZ-Guide Steering
I already have a Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1 with AgOpen downloaded.

To start with I’m thinking of putting AgOpen on our Steiger 485. I believe that has CAN steering? Would I use the CAN steering board for that tractor? Is there an All-in-One board I could use? If I get 5 boards when I order it would be nice if I could use the remaining boards on other non-CAN tractors/Combines.

Also thinking of setting up a RTK basestation. We currently use Trimble radio Network. I’m looking for something cheaper! Could I use my own RTK basestation with current Trimble products? What does it take on the FMX to get corrections from base?

I think AgOpenGPS has most of the features (Maybe a few more than we currently use)
Has anything more been done with passive tool steering?
Would Section Control with AgOpen control my current systems rum by Trimble Rate and Section?
Also controlling a planter with Trimble, is that possible with AgOpen? Seed monitoring?

Nice that you are interested in AgOpenGPS. That’s a lot of questions.
As far as i know Trimble needs a RTCM 1008 from your basestation.

I don’t know about the canbus… The aio 4.1 has one canbus chip. There’s a few tractors that require communication on two separate busses, on those a different canbus board is required. Might find some help here: CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple - #1218 by hnvcad

Trimble can receive (or some can) RTK from your base station. Like was said, you need message 1008, included by default if you go with Stefal’s RTKBase.

I don’t think so. The enemy of open source side projects, time, seems to be the issue. Brian and co. have been busy getting v6 out before spring work starts.
This is getting out of my territory, but I’ll say what I know. If you have some spot to add in a relay to trigger a section on/off section control will work. And depends what you mean by “planter control”, there is a rate control program, and a planter blockage monitor in the very beginning stages of development.

So I’ve been studying more on the RTKBase and FreeRTK both look like great systems. I’m trying to figure out if I can use radio base and rover to get corrections into my FMX or if NTRIP is the only way to feed RTK data in? Or can I use RTK radio to RS232 to FMX?