IMU Brick v2

I plan to use the Tinkerforge Brick V2 for my heading.

I was hoping to install it inside the cab behind the headliner at the rear of the cab to keep it over the axle as much as I can. That way it is kept out of the weather.

Should the device be oriented to point a certain way in regards to the tractor? (does the X and Y orientation for heading matter)

Thanks,

The orientation (x,y) doesn’t matter as it refreshes on startup anyway. AgOpenGPS just uses the change in heading in its fused heading calculation.

1 Like

Did you try the Tinkerforge Brick v2? I havent used anything for heading other than gps? Anyone know if its worth it to use bnoo55 or the brick. I have the bno here but some say brick via usb is better. How does aog recognize the brick with usb? Is there a hookup guide for bno for pcb v2?

The bno055 is the imu in the brick v2. I put the brick in a weatherproof box and put it on the roof at the back of the cab right above the axle.

If you are going this route, that seems to be the best way to use the brick. If your fan motor or big speakers are in the back find a spot away from those items.

So can I make use of my bno055 that i have and connect it to pcb? Or Should i buy the brick v2. Not sure I quite understand why the one with usb is recommended

It allows you to get it up on the cab, and its not delayed, the autosteer module doesn’t have to send it back, AOG uses the brick values as soon as it needs them. From the autosteer module they are always a frame behind.

It’s usb, but it is ethernet thru the usb cable - like an air card or a usb to ethernet dock. It is quite fast effective communication and is extremely reliable.

1 Like

So one like this?

That’s the one. Same as what Cera uses.

Bit more and you could almost do dual antenna

1 Like

Hi Brian, does AOG recognize that a Brick V2 is hooked up via USB? in the Data sources it seems it’s looking for a UID.

Thanks!

JB

You need to download and run the Brick Viewer program to check what your brick’s 6 digit UID is.

I’m not certain if it is actually needed, but I installed Brick Deamon as well.

https://www.tinkerforge.com/en/doc/Software/Brickv.html#brickv
https://www.tinkerforge.com/en/doc/Software/Brickd.html#brickd

Roger that!
Thank you!

I was wondering if i could run the BNO055 on an Arduino Nano and feed it that way into AOG, skipping the PCB.
In the end it’ll turn out the same way, Nano+BNO shield + housing might be the same $ as the Brick V2.

Thanks again!

Hello!
Can’t brick v2 be used for tilt compensation? Like in the cerea program?

It has been tried in the past. The values for roll are all over the place and are unstable. The same can be said of using the BN055 for roll. Better off using the MMA or the DOG2 for roll. Any of the IMUs for roll can’t handle the tractor environment and would not be helpful.

I see, thank you! I will try the dual antenna to see if the result will be better! The ground towards me is very uneven and the snaking is constant!

Definitely would be a better option to go with dual antenna.

Hello,

Your experience is interesting as there is a discussion about BNO085 here: BNO085 or BNO080 IMU - #7 by torriem. BNO085 as different fusion algorithm than BNO055 but don’t know if there is an improvement compare to what have been observed with BNO055 on AOG. What was observed with BNO055 ? Unstable values (like oscillating values) or stable value but drifting with time ?

What do you mean (not sure to correctly understant) ? Why an IMU couldn’t handle an tractor environment ?

Math

Hi, when saying “changed in ino as well”, do you refer to a previous version of AOG, or to the latest stable one 4.3.10?. In case so, which ino line needs to be modified and what?.
We have MMA8452 for roll and Imu Brick V2 for heading. When moving the tractor in Reverse, the world is rotating. Any idea on how to correct it?.
Many thanks!!

Definitely not 4.3.10 as post was written in December 2019. Don’t remember what exactly but at that time we had to manually change settings in the ino.

Hi, im just new in AOG , I tried to establish a connection between AOG V5.x and Brick V2: I found out that I need the UID from the Brick (OK - done), but I still haven’t found where to enter the UID; IO panel only wants the COM Port for the IMU ?
thanks

Unfortunately Brick V2 is not used with AGOPEN 5. You have to look for BNO 80/85, CMPS 14, possibly Vitmotion