Is the UM982 an F9P killer for AOG?

Thanks Gruni and Radmuffins. I’ll try 5v Vcc but not on the LVTTL. :wink:

Maybe something like this? It is less an 1 sq cm and handles 1.5 amps.

Or this 1cm x 1.5cm and handles 3 amps.

To use a linear regulator means the other regulator stepping down from 12V to 5V will still have to work harder. Shouldn’t it work to just use another 3.3V switching step down regulator like on the Micro PCB for ByNav and install a jumper from 5V for UM982?

That should work as well. I was just thinking to make the UM982 / Bynav socket oops proof. However, not sure anyone uses it for Bynav.

I have some 2mm14x2 headers. I just need that V5 board. :wink:

1 Like

Shiping in progres.

My board will support this. :grin:

Nice find. The form factor looks considerably smaller than the other evaluation boards. The price is better too. Keep us posted when you receive it. Keep up the good work on the ESP32 firmware.

Normal um982 board size uses bynav socket, its available from multiple sources. And if it fits in between normal F9P slot no reason to go smaller.

But also seen this um960, good for Single+BNO I2C or RVC setup.

Roll in RVC seams stable, probably will be using um982 single+BNO RVC. But intrested in difference vs dual.

True. Maybe this smaller one could be used in the AIO Micro design since it is about the same size as the Ardusimple Micro. Perhaps pads on one of the Micro areas and user could solder on either the Micro or this smaller UM982 headers to the board.

It is nice to have options!

Long time listener, first time caller. I signed up just to chat GNSS with you fine folks, love the projects!

This was the first UM982 that I saw for sale for under $100USD (after various coupons and promos) and decided it was time to pick one up. It showed up on Saturday and I’ve been having a blast with it. It isn’t mentioned by the seller, but mine came with MMCX right angle to SMA bulkhead adapters, about 15cm long.

The instructions on the seller’s page with links that don’t work seem to be a translation of this document: WTRTK-982产品规格书 · 深圳维特智能科技有限公司 though the download links for the files are behind a verification page so I found them all on other sites.

My main interest for the module is to use it via USB using gpsd and rtklib. When I plugged it in there wasn’t many signs of life so I fired up Uprecise and it showed up there; so I started configuring it. I will admit that it it took me longer than it should have to realize that none of the commands I was using were working because I was running them for UART1 and not UART3 which is what is routed to USB.

Great module so far, I’m really enjoying having 3 bands of 4+ nav systems using a single board.

Thanks a bunch to everyone on this thread, it is the best english language resource for this product line.

In addition to the modules available through Aliexpress, there is also a supplier that I’ve used before in Latvia that sells Unicore modules and makes breakout boards using them: GNSS modules based Unicore UM982, UM980

Source: https://en.unicorecomm.com/assets/upload/file/Unicore_Reference_Commands_Manual_For_N4_High_Precision_Products_V2_EN_R1_2.pdf

Does rtklib support this chip like it does the ublox chips? Can it access the raw data to do its own calculations and generate its own rtcm like rtklib does with the F9P and the RtkBase software?

I connect my UM982 to your configuration on GitHub. I get a fix on my AIO board. but “Roll” doesn’t show anything.

If I connect the UM982 via USB then everything is displayed correctly

Does the Teensy need another sketch?
What do I have to change?

What com ports are you using on the UM982?

I have an adapter board. And connect agopen via USB. It is the COM2 of the UM982 board.

From what I can tell, rtklib doesn’t have any support for Unicore specific commands/strings. But some of the folks most involved with rtklib have posted about this chip in the past and so I’m hopeful that there might be work done to add support in the future.

The sketch I modified uses GPGGA, GPVTG and GPHPR messages to send PAOGI messages to AgIO. It looks like you are sending GPGGA, GPVTG & KSXT messages. I did not know AgIO could parse the KSXT messages and put the data in the right place.

Did you get those MMCX to SMA cables from Amazon? I bought some from Amazon that look like those and I had trouble with them. They were a very sloppy fit into the UM982 board receptacles. This caused loss of signal shorted the 5v supply for the antenna to ground.

1 Like

There is a parser library I posted earlier in this thread that will parse the Unicore specific messages. One would need a sketch to use the parser and do something with the Unicore data. The command manual I posted earlier has all the Unicore messages and what data they contain.

Thank you! Would you consider releasing your parser under the 2-Cluase BSD License so that I could be used to add support to RTKLIB? If not, no worries, I’ll forget everything I saw and go off of just the Unicore documentation.

With that said, I’m not much of a programmer and any attempt to hack at adding said support would be amusing to watch for anyone who actually knows what they’re doing. :wink: