Is the UM982 an F9P killer for AOG?

So, um980 can’t work with standard rtk base stefal?

Partially, it must be manually configured and can send RTCMv3 messages. I have tested it in this mode and saw no observable difference in AOG.

It also works with ESP32Xbee in the RTCMv3 mode.

It does not output raw observations in a format that RTKLib can process. If the desire is to have a raw observable RTKLib processed dual band base station then the UM98x is not it right now.

Otoh, if the the desire is to have a lower cost triple band base station that works perfectly fine with AOG then the UM98x is worthy of consideration.

Here is some work that has been done getting um98x series modules working with rtklib: https://s-taka.org/en/novatel-binary-message/

1 Like

can UM982 use RTCM 3.4 message format (from my testing I would assume that not)? And is there any other lib on linux besides rtklib that is able to convert RTCM 3.4 → 3.2 ? I have a strange behaviour with fix/float and I’m starting to suspect that this might be because my ntrip caster. Thanks

I don’t see it in the documentation . However, RTCM v3.3 isn’t listed but it is supported by the firmware. Sometimes the manual is behind the firmware.

You can try sending RTCM v3.4 to it and check the RTCMSTATUSA message to see if it is decoded.

2 Likes

yep, thanks it seems to be ok.

RTCMSTATUSA,95,GPS,FINE,2308,467568000,0,0,18,230;1087,1131,3986,5,5,0,5,5,0,0*e1297562
RTCMSTATUSA,95,GPS,FINE,2308,467569000,0,0,18,130;1097,1132,3986,8,8,0,8,0,8,0*61363c93
RTCMSTATUSA,95,GPS,FINE,2308,467569000,0,0,18,181;1077,1131,398,7,7,7,6,3,0,0*357a01a8

all MSM7 1097, 1087 and 1077 seem to be accepted.

Well this even more baffles me. Why with > 15 sats with SNR above 39 and elevation above 15 and base station just few kilometers away from me I can only get a float, but not a fix.

A UM982 rover I presume? What antennas are being used? Can you dump your config, node and uni log list and post it?

Sorry for the late response.

The short answer is “yes”—using standard rtkbase might complicate operating the UM980. However, with my custom fork, I can tailor the settings to my specific needs and perform surveying or RTK seamlessly in the field.

I remember reading the two posts about Unicore on that blog. It seems the author did not have a pleasant experience with the UM982.

I think we can leverage the similarities between the UM980 and Novatel (OEM7), but I also understand that RTKLib will soon have native support for Unicore. For applications involving microcontrollers, I think we could also take advantage of this library from Sparkfun.

I had a similar issue with the UM980, functioning as a rover and receiving corrections from a u-blox base. However, I later conducted more thorough tests using a UM980 as the base as well, and the fix rate improved significantly. The configuration of SIGNALGROUP, RTK RELIABILITY, and MASK were parameters that needed some tweaking. In this same thread, there have also been interesting configurations posted that help improve the fix rate. Nonetheless, where I consider the UM98* truly unbeatable is in PPK mode.

1 Like

thank you
It seems that um982 does not have a USB port like F9P. Are you going to ship it already set up when you ship it? Doesn’t the user need to set up through software like F9P? thank you

1 Like

I don’t sell UM982’s or any other AOG parts. You will have to purchase a USB to TTL dongle if you want to configure the UM982.

by the way - would a secondary antenna aid RTK fix? Or is purely for heading?

It does calculate its own position as there is a message for slave position. However, afaik, it is only used for heading and pitch calculations.

1 Like

For dual users, I found that heading mode tractor heavily smooths heading and roll. Then jumps to correct value when difference is big enough. So it should not be used.

Heading mode variablelength is better.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,
I have been testing the UM980 board for some time now. With the help of the previous posts, I have also managed to establish a connection in UPrecise.
Now I would like to add a HC-06 Bluetooth module for a wireless connection. Unfortunately, I cannot establish a connection via Bluetooth in an NTRIP client app. What additional settings do I have to make in UPrecise for this to work?
Maybe someone already has something like this working?

the HC-O6 is sold with different baud rates. Set it to 38400 and set this in the UM982 as well. What do you need the Bluetooth module for? Maybe there is a better way to connect the UM980 directly via USB (GNSS Master)

Thanks for the answer.
Somehow it still doesn’t work. Does anyone have a suitable config for the UM980 to use a Bluetooth module?

I use HC-05 on um982 uart3, baud rate 9600.

What configuration do you have for the board?

Freset
Unlogall
Mode rover survey
config heading offset 90 0 //for dual
CONFIG HEADING variablelength // for dual
MASK 15
Gpgga 0.1
Gpvtg 0.1
Gphpr 0.1 // for dual
Config Com1 460800
Config Com3 9600
Saveconfig

// for dual are optional, used for dual.