Motor wiring to prevent back feed Cytron

Please describe how… I have burned 4 Cytron now… I did it exatly as the picture above

Works fine received_360253832177720

Use tweezer to apply light pressure to remove the two components with a soldering iron. It will take a few moves heating each end of the smd component alternately until it slides off.

Apply a small amount of solder in advance to the NC pin and the SMD pad shown in the photo.

Use tweezers to hold the wire pre apply some solder to the ends of the wire.

Hold the wire to the pad and melt the solder together. Touch up if needed.

2 Likes

Do you mean burned with the Soldering Iron, or after plugging in? Instantly or after a period of time? What motor type / voltage are you using?

Could we see a photo of your wiring?

Are you using the latest v5 .ino?

I Hope you dont wire same i see last week with a member
received_427905241906573

I use the latest version yes.
My wiring is the same as the pictures you put up, not as the first one from Buched

Haha! No I didn’t, don’t wory…

What aog pcb board are you using?
Do you use a 12v or 24v motor?
Do you use a step up converter for 24V?
What awg are your motor leads, and length?

Is your enclosure metallic?

Would really like to solve this. I have had no problems so far with 5 boxes with this modification.

PCBV2
Phidgets 24v motor, without step-up. so i’m using 12v.
The wires are about 1,5mm (diameter), and not longer than 1,5 meter.

Enclosure was plastic until last weekend.

Any chance we could see your wiring?

All that happens with this modification is 5v is supplied from pwm 2 to the nsleep pin. If you are letting the smoke out its something is unique to your setup but its hard to troubleshoot without visual.

Could you give some helping hand. Which approach I should use, the one which is shown in @buched or @PotatoFarmer pictures? The wire has been soldered to a different place. Ive soldered two Cytrons and after the modification they are not working. Ive soldered to the pad which is shown in everybody elses pictures except buched (upper vertical). I`ve tested the Cytrons by pressing the MA and MB buttons, but the motor is not turning anymore.

I tried the last Cytron before the modification and it worked like a charm, except the resistance of course :). I think the soldering itself went nicely, so I have hard time believng that the issue would be there (twice). I believe I`m in the same boat with @kasp4691.

This picture from @buched is an example of an error, he said “I hope you do not wire same”.

The difference between @PotatoFarmer’s picture & @buched’s earlier picture could just be a different place for the same trace. Both report it as working. I used @PotatoFarmer’s example myself.

@PotatoFarmer

@buched

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying. After the modifications the Cytrons test buttons should still work even Cytron wouldnt be connected to AOG pcb? And the NC connection goes to Pwm2.

If I remember correctly, they did not work on mine. I think it needs that PWM2 signal to enable the output.

Yes

Ok…very good…I think. :slightly_smiling_face:

Then it is worthless to test, if it works just by testing with those buttons. Need to jump to the simulation mode maybe to test further. Do I still keep Cytron selected as the motor driver in the settings or will that disable the pwm2?

You definitely needs to select Cytron in the settings, otherwise your Arduino will output signals for the IBT2 which is not what you want.

Yes its an example of what i Seen from user who complain it dont work ^^

I have never touched the test buttons after the modification, I will need to test after harvest.

The modification as described at the beginning of the thread toggles the Cytrons nSleep pin. So when pwm2 gives a 0 or 5v signal the cytron toggles between on and off.

So unless you have 5v at the NC pin after the modification the Cytron is off, according to the above description. I would try jumpering 5v to NC and see if it comes back alive.

I used to have to cut power to the steer box or decouple the steering gears every time I wanted to turn before this change.

Hello,

I am using AOG v 5.2.2 so will this modification work with it? Also, do I need to change anything on the code?

Thanks!

The mod works with no code changes but take note that the manual testing buttons on the cytron won’t work anymore unless autosteer is engaged.

2 Likes